Solution needed for no-rattle dish/cup/silverware storage

buddilly

What is the best solution for storage the following without ANY rattles on rough roads, etc.? Need to store: wine glasses, glass cups, dinner plates, soup bowls, silverware. I have seen good solutions for other utensils. I am coming from an EarthRoamer and their factory/built-in solution was great but I do not have that for my upcoming vehicle.

I would love something like what Bliss Mobil does but can't find the source...perhaps they do this all in-house. https://www.blissmobil.com/accessories/kitchen-set/

Open to ideas....

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $10.99
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Bungee / shock cord, tight stacking melamine dishes, rubber band silverware together, or turn up the stereo.

that Bliss set looks to have the Magma cookware in it. Magma sells felt dividers to keep their stuff from rattling. I haven’t felt the need to add them versus the hassle of them, but I can see evidence of the rattling / rub marks on the polished finish.

you mention glass dishes, but if you’re willing to switch to plastics, many glasses and bowls will stack tight enough not to rattle, and weigh much less too.

Last edited:

Correus

Adventurer
Bungee / shock cord, tight stacking melamine dishes, rubber band silverware together, or turn up the stereo.

that Bliss set looks to have the Magma cookware in it. Magma sells felt dividers to keep their stuff from rattling. I haven’t felt the need to add them versus the hassle of them, but I can see evidence of the rattling / rub marks on the polished finish.

you mention glass dishes, but if you’re willing to switch to plastics, many glasses and bowls will stack tight enough not to rattle, and weigh much less too.
Never understood the need/desire to take glass on camping trips. Then again, considering Bliss sells rigs with a "price tag just under $400,000USD"...

We use a combo of metal and melamine, stores easily in just about anything. Rattling and such can be eliminated with as little as a paper towel between pieces. Now that the rebuild is almost finished I'll be creating something along the lines of the US military officers mess set; one for dishes and one for cooking.

1951-vintage-military-officers-field_1_1fcbbd29b16dc33078d34e9e6d64beb8.jpg

18f4ec3379191e083de7577c9fa90111.jpg

3929667f5ec84396fa5a5aa26e56c009.jpg

KitManualScan.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Old wash clothes between pots, paper plates over the metal plates, and all the kitchen stuff is in individual transparent totes from Bed 'n Bath and Cub boxes from Front Runner in the drawers. Seems nothing really rattles except the exhaust pipe under the Rover.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $136.99
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $10.5
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99

buddilly

That's what mycasebuilder does. Which i mentioned above.
I was trying to see if there was anything premade because it’s going to be challenging to figure out the exact shapes and measurements for everything. If not, I will probably go with your recommendation. Thank you very much!

robert

Expedition Leader
I'll go be poor somewhere else with my GSI stuff https://gsioutdoors.com/shop-by-function/partyware.html (popular with the VW camper and sailing crowd) and sticking a towel or even a paper towel between my enamelware. The couple of pieces of tableware that live in the back of the truck full time is just plastic GSI stuff stuck in a Rubbermaid Roughneck box.

If I were going to get fancy I'd just build a foam cutter (plenty of videos on youtube on how to make one cheap), buy some foam and cut it to fit my needs.