Solution for glare from roof lights?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Move the light back about 2/3 the distance to the crossbar, mount it directly to the foot of the rack (make some new brackets if necessary), with the top of the light bar being even or just below the top of the crossbar. That should satisfy all the criteria. You've basically created your own glare problem by perching the light right at the top of your windshield.

Barring that it should be very easy to fabricate some glare shields to attach directly to the bottom of the light bar, eliminating your glare problem entirely. In fact extend it far enough to prevent the light bar casting light on any portion of the hood, too. Easy to determine the size at dusk with a piece of cardboard.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
So to continue with this and give an update, I have solved my glare problem! I ended up doing what some people suggested and mounting the light bar off of my roof basket. This way it sits about 6" back from where it was before. I made the mounts out of 1/4" thick aluminum 90deg angle which is 3" wide.

This helped TONS! The glare off the windshield glass itself is non-existent now. I do, however, still have my windshield wipers light up whenever the roof light is on. But considering they're black, this is hardly a problem and not bothersome at all. I'm extremely happy with the setup now. Instead of hard-wiring the light bar, I installed a deutch connector so whenever I don't need the roof basket/light bar I can disconnect it and remove it in one easy step. I think it actually looks a lot cleaner this way as well. I don't want to speak too soon but I'm almost certain it cut down on the wind noise as well.

It's crazy what moving it back 5-6" has done for the glare. I hope this helps when other people are trying to place their LED bars correctly on the roof.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Here's the comparison of the glare. In the after shot, all of the light that's on the dash is being reflected off of the white roof of the underground parking, so there's even less than that out on the street. You can see before the dash was lit up all the way to the center console and even off the steering wheel.

Before:

After:

And this is just from moving it from here:

To here:

taco_tay

Adventurer
I really like those reflectors for under the light bars.. There has to be a company that makes these for all the different light bars on the market...Business idea :wings:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I really like those reflectors for under the light bars.. There has to be a company that makes these for all the different light bars on the market...Business idea :wings:
It would be nice but each one would have to be custom as each one has slightly different dimensions.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Take it off and gaffer tape a piece of cardboard to the underside to see if such a brim will stop it. Make a couple in different widths (depths) to see how little you can get away with. That would be my solution. And then when determined how large the brim should be, I would either cut one myself, or have it fabricated and painted matte black. Make sure the cardboard (and hence the alu later on) also covers the bottom of the light bar, so it's a bit stiffer when you tape it on.

rayra

Expedition Leader
This is the solution and VERY easy to fabricate, from many different materials. Some metal roof flashing strips being the easiest to cut down and bend up for end tabs. Fab it correctly and you could swivel it up to cover your lights when not in use and very easily tip it down when the lights are needed.

A sheet metal fab shop could bend you something like this very easy. I really think its the best solution.

i.php

1MK

ExploreDesert
this. In all honesty, I wanted a roof mounted LED bar on my prerunner, and eventually after much pondering chalked it up to more of the look of it than anything. i could put a 40" bar on the roof, and deal with considerable wind noise/whistling, and figuring remedies to reduce glare. Or i could put a 30" on the bumper/grill area and have more productive output and save money while doing it.

depending on the size you have, you could drop it down to the front of the rig, or sell it and recoup funds to purchase a smaller one. I really don't think there are many rigs on this forum that are going to outrun that much light on the dirt. i know I cant.

Same here. When these things became popular and the Chinese knock-off's brought the price down, I drank the kool-aid and put one on the desert truck. It looked awesome, but the first time taking it out, it was the biggest disappointment as the light was useless. The amount of light that poured on the windshield and hood make it nearly impossible for me to focus long, eventually leading to eye-strain and headaches.

Not wanting to off it just yet, I build a aluminum glare shield. It helped a lot, but in the end it was still useless after any period of time, in dusty conditions or once the windshield built up dust.

Only options were to move it back, which I didn't want to do, or go back to HID's on the front bumper. Ended up selling the light bar and going back to main lighting being on the front bumper.

I've ridden in multiple trucks with rood mounted bars since selling mine, and it's all the same story. Turn it on and it lights up the hood to the point you can't clearly focus on what's ahead. I get that they look cool, but unless it's moved way back or you're using a spot only setup with no windshield, there's no way around the amount of glare it'll produce being up high.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I always thought of those lights as something to use in camp. Or if wading with water over the bonnet (hood) in the dark, lol. There's a reason lights over time have gone from next to the windshield and down at the front, and side mirrors have gone from the wings to the doors next to the windshield. THe lights were very early in migrating down there, historically speaking.

Edit: They do look fantastically cool, though.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I have a 50" bar on my roof and wouldn't go back. I haul *** from time to time. If the windshield gets dusty, I use the windshield washer. I do agree it needs a bottom shield though.
I live in a dark area surrounded by fields. This light is also for road safety to be able to see deer in the road. It's also for fun in Pismo so I can see the dunes drop off before I go down.
It's also immensely helpful going places like Monache meadows where I don't arrive in daylight and the trail is slow and not too dusty. Can't have too much light on a night run on a narrow trail!
IMG_1533.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I'm assuming you have an early Wagoneer or a later XJ, faux-wagoneer, both with a flatfish hood. I had an FJ55 with a lot of glare on the white painted hood, and painted the hood flat black. End of story. If you still have glare, get some visors for the lights and put them on the bottom of the lens. This should do it.
jefe

tacr2man

Adventurer
The only reason really to put lights up high is for off road , so that you can illuminate any holes in the track , or thru floods/creeks ,as low lights dont illuminate to show the depth just a black shadow , not that you should be driving offroad at night , particularly thru floods/creeks as its about one of the most dangerous things you can do.
Having said that if you mount lights up high then you need to set them back so that the front edge of the roof puts the screen and hood area in the shadow . You can have spot or flood up there, ideally driving/spot lights should be down on the front illuminating in the distance as having bright illumination close too is counter productive , as your eyes will shut down , unless you are using red. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles