Sold

jfarsang

Adventurer
SOLD

This is the original import thread :

http://www.delica.ca/forum/old-member-new-delica-turtle-3733.html

This is the build thread on the kitchen/rear camping unit :

http://www.delica.ca/forum/turtle-l300-kitchen-camping-sleeping-cabinets-10675.html

The story about Turtle :

I spent a long time trying to figure out how to get my hands on a Reimo poptop camper L300. After a lot of digging, I found that Reimo (German based camper manufacturer) made 500 (that number may be less or more) poptop conversions for Mitsubishi.

They came in various flavours. Diesel, Gas, base model, Chamonix model, 5spd, automatic, camperized, non-camperized.

I knew what I wanted and it was a rare and tall order.

My specifications were :

Chamonix model (for it's distinct durable paint, hard wearing seats/carpet and limited slip rear differential)
Non-camperized (due to the very cramped cabinetry that Reimo crammed inside the L300's)
5-speed transmission (due to it's flexibility in offroad situations and the fact that if the clutch goes, I can still drive it (synchromesh gears) without a clutch. This is crucial when out in the middle of nowhere being the only vehicle.

I found the one I was looking for. It just happened to have an owner in Japan and the 'it's a small world' the owner from Edmonton (where I was born) knew people I knew. Who knew ?

I prodded and prodded to buy it from him. He wasn't letting it go because of it's functionality and rarity.

After 1/2 a year passed, I received an email from him asking if I was still interested.

I was and the rest is history.

Here is the long, long list.

What is Turtle ?

1992 Mitsubishi L300 Delica Chamonix Limited Edition Reimo camper

Seats 5 (with optional/included middle row bench to seat 7)
Sleeps 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 children

4x4 with hi/low gear ratio (4.875 gearing)
2.5L 4D56T Turbo Diesel 4-cylinder engine
IFS front suspension
Solid rear axle with Limited slip differential

As his exterior labels state, he is in fact … 'Starwagon Limited Edition'

The luxurious way to go ………..
The big, comfortable people-carrier ………..
The new multipurpose performer ……….
The big, practical workhorse ………..
The "Mitusbishi DELICA" is exciting vehicle !

He was imported into Canada October 2008 and immediately serviced and gone over mechanically.

History known from 1994 to present.* Always serviced regularly through his life in Japan and driven regularly as a daily driver (never sat).
Since in Canada, he has been serviced religiously and maintained and driven very well, thus Turtle is a very healthy and properly broken in Delica.
Current owner - (me) - Imported to Canada in 2008 at 212,000km - driven to 252,000km (current mileage)
Engine is very strong and broken in properly. This is identified by the hard acceleration, high speed maintain and smooth shifting/cool temperatures.
Aircared until 2013 and he is currently insured and my daily driver.

Custom :

$1,200 - Custom steel rear bumper / hitch / dual swing-out tire carrier
$630 - (five) Atlas 15x8 polished alloy wheels
$1,220 - (five) Brand new Goodyear (less than 300 km's) 31x10.5x15 tires
$600 - 2" suspension lift kit
$320 - Bilstein heavy duty shocks (for 2" lift)
$120 - Superwinch manual hubs
$450 - 2.25" side exhaust with Flowmaster turbo diesel muffler
$230 - Autometer pyrometer gauge / boost gauge / oil press. gauge
$250 - amplifier pro sound deadening mat flooring / marine grade plywood flooring
$450 - front brake upgrade from single piston to dual piston callipers
$1,300 - 9ft retractable awning with flex/telescopic legs and arms
$ xxx - Interior cabinets, kitchen unit, storage/sleeping unit custom built
Total custom :* $6,770 + the interior cabinetry

Maintenance in Japan (last 100,000 km's) :

Injection pump seals at 124,000km's / timing belts - pulley - tensioner / waterpump / thermostat / hoses at 98,000km's
Brakes - Front / Rear
Every 4,500km's - oil changes and check injection pump timing / fuel filter
Every 10,000km's - transfer case / transmission / front-rear diff's fluid changes / air and fuel filters replaced

Maintenance in Canada :

$850 - injection pump seals / timing belts - pulley - tensioner / waterpump / thermostat / hoses / all fluid changes (Dec 2008)
$490 - clutch pack including throwout and pilot bearings and machine flywheel (Jan 2009)
$180 - rear LSD repack (Jan 2009)
$460 - u-joints / wheel bearings / diff carrier bearings (Jan 2010)
$320 - rear brakes - drums/shoes/hw (Jan 2010)
$180 - front brakes - rotors/pads/hw (Jan 2010)
$80 - oil change / transfer case / transmission / front-rear diff's fluid changes (Feb 2011)

Total maintenance : $2,380 parts only (not including $$$ labour)

Total spent aside from Turtle himself : $9,150

I imported Turtle landed after taxes for $12,200

Total spent since owning Turtle : $21,350 plus the days, weeks, months of labour and time which is worth more thousands.

I am selling Turtle for a fraction of what I have invested in him.

You will not find another L300 like this period. He is truly that well mannered and unique.

Selling price : SOLD

5647842928_b1496a1f63_b.jpg

5647280433_87a4c2fe7a_b.jpg

5647844794_f6e4338871_b.jpg

5647281625_45933919e2_b.jpg

5647279821_b99e805c7f_b.jpg

5647847410_c0b124808c_b.jpg

5647282267_3c929d456f_b.jpg

5647287059_95c686bf03_b.jpg

5647282985_c9cca7dd61_b.jpg

5647849246_bcdb7e48ea_b.jpg

5647850260_84838b38d6_b.jpg

5647284799_a79e3147b4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Questions

1) Think it can be brought into the US?

2) Is your price in US or Canadian?

3) Is there a ready source for parts?

4) What kind of gas mileage does it get?

That is one very cool rig.

Jacumja

Okay heres the deal, I want that truck. However I just showed it to my girlfriend and she wants me to have your carpentry skills. So here's what I've got. Getting good looking women to torment me comes to me about as easy as carpentry does to you. You take her I take the truck. She's southern, cute, cooks and has excellent blood lines. To boot she's got 38 DD's on a size 2 waste, natural I might add. Pm me if interested I'll put her on a plane. Pics available upon request.

Cambo

Adventurer
Okay heres the deal, I want that truck. However I just showed it to my girlfriend and she wants me to have your carpentry skills. So here's what I've got. Getting good looking women to torment me comes to me about as easy as carpentry does to you. You take her I take the truck. She's southern, cute, cooks and has excellent blood lines. To boot she's got 38 DD's on a size 2 waste, natural I might add. Pm me if interested I'll put her on a plane. Pics available upon request.

Pics or she's fake and made of rubber!!! :)

jfarsang

Adventurer
Answered your q's below

1) Think it can be brought into the US?

Short answer. No. It's a 92 which is newer than 25yrs old (import rule in the US). Canada is 15yrs import rule.

With that said, Florida seems to have lax laws regarding grey imports.

2) Is your price in US or Canadian?

Either. The canadian dollar has been at par or higher than the US dollar for a while.

3) Is there a ready source for parts?

The entire drivetrain is the same as a north American Mitsubishi Montero so parts are easy

Engine is 2.5L turbo diesel 4D56T and parts are available from many parts stores in Canada and it's the same engine minus the head as the Dodge D50 ram pickup's sold in North America.

4) What kind of gas mileage does it get?

28-30 mpg city/hwy doesn't care if you're driving alone or loaded with 7 people and gear.

That is one very cool rig.

That he is.

Last edited:

louie71

Observer
Man I would love this thing. Can you post some interior/exterior pics? What would need to be done to get it registered and titled in the US?

Thanks, L

xpdishn

Adventurer
As said before --- totally awesome.

And as said before, interior pics? Sleeping unit?

How can I get that into the US????? (I know a rhetorical question-already answered)

jfarsang

Adventurer
SOLD to a very nice guy & long time Delica.ca member.

May he present himself at his own will

It makes me very happy that Turtle will not only be in good hands but that he will be appreciated, maintained and driven for what he was made for.

max adams

Observer
Wow I have never seen a PTO port on such a small vehicle.

Attachments

• 5647284799_a79e3147b4_b.jpg
    5647284799_a79e3147b4_b.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 135

jfarsang

Adventurer
Same platform as Montero just a unibody instead of frame.

Not small. Mid sized maybe.

PTO ports are on a million transfer cases. Finding a compatible plug n' play system to bolt in may be difficult to impossible to find unless it came with one from the manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz