Sold! Ultimate, Adventure Ready Vehicle Platform - SAS'd 2001 GMC 2500HD

krazytoy

Adventurer
2001 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Long Bed 2500HD, 6.0L, 4L80e, Manual Shift NP263. I built this truck a few months ago and honestly have lost interest in it and want to direct my interests in other places. The truck is SAS’d with a CAD designed front suspension utilizing custom made arms that are of a radius arm design, it uses 3” Summit Machine uni-balls at the frame end and 1.5” Summit Machine joints where the upper arms meet the lower arms. The arms mount to ¼” thick skid plate that also doubles as the transmission/t-case mount. I had all the pieces laser cut and bent and I welded everything up myself, the fabrication is very nice and most people don’t notice the truck has a solid front axle. The front axle is out of a 2008 F-350 Super Duty (High Pinion Dana 60) and has heavy duty vented and slotted Power Stop calipers and pads, new differential bearings and 5.38 gears. With the hydro-boost the truck will lock up the 40” ProComp MT2’s on 17” Walker Evans Street Lock Wheels without effort and there are no ABS lights on the dash as the Super Duty front end allows you to retain the ABS. The front end also sports a complete PSC steering kit (http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehic...4-cylinder-assist-kit-for-sas-conversion.html) that has a new pump, gear box, cooler/filter and hydro assist ram that is specifically built by PSC for SAS’d Chevy trucks, it steers amazing, with the 40’s aired down to 10 psi you can effortlessly turn the wheel and it is still able to drive down the interstate at 80 MPH with one finger with the Alpine digital media player jamming through the new Rockford Fosgate speakers in the factory locations. This suspension system uses all of the factory Ford steering linkages and panhard bar so parts are easy to get and inexpensive, everything uses off-the-self parts. For dampening the suspension has 2.5” Fox Factory Series remote reservoir shocks with 300# springs.
The truck has less than 152,000 miles on it and everything functions and works exactly the way it should, there are no check engine lights or anything on, almost all of the factory exhaust has been retained (only the cross over pipe from the drivers side has been changed to clear the driveshaft) so it is legal in all 50 states as far as emissions go. Zero rust on this truck anywhere. A/C blows ice cold and the heat will make you sweat on those cold days. The interior of the truck came from GM with vinyl flooring, manual windows and manual cloth seats all in great shape. I don’t believe the truck has ever been smoked in either.
The rear end is the factory disc braked 14 bolt with new bearings and 5.38 gears as well with stock leaf springs and 2.5” blocks to level things out. The truck sits very low for being on the massive 40” tires, it is less than 7’ to the top of the cab so it would still fit in garages, parking garages and car washes.
I built this truck as a go anywhere, do anything truck that would still safely tow a small camper or boat and still get through some pretty gnarly trails. The 5.38 gears put the gearing just a fuzz lower than stock so it still cruises down the interstate just like the stock truck would.
I am located in Boise, ID, fly in and drive this truck back home. I am asking $17,500.00, not in a hurry to sell it and If I don’t sell it I’ll keep it.

Su8jF2x.jpg

SUNwFfI.jpg

DEQSoj7.jpg

KhoqAAr.jpg

r75lL27.jpg

MifOX6O.jpg

Xqdl7Io.jpg

IZsZlhD.jpg

DTKhWQq.jpg

cOQsNJk.jpg

OMnY9Nn.jpg

rHGZXgr.jpg

wlVlkwH.jpg

eP7JSJ0.jpg

zn9T9oa.jpg

6JvNSK7.jpg

VsE07f2.jpg

KG3ruyg.jpg

klauzzN.jpg

yX8xhPL.jpg

Last edited:

krazytoy

Adventurer
Thanks
So I have been getting quite a few questions about the truck. The 5.38 gears and the 40" tires put the gearing less than 2% lower than a stock truck so yes, it will still cruise down the Interstate and get as good of gas mileage as a stock truck would. See below calculations. All of the front axle and steering retain the FACTORY Ford parts which means that if you need steering parts, unit bearings, differential bearings or whatever in 10 years you can walk into any parts store and get replacement parts.
THe Fox shocks are completely rebuild-able with off the self parts that almost all off-road stores sell and they are actually pretty easy to disassemble and service if you needed to in the field. Honestly, you can drive this truck down the road with one finger on the wheel, it drives as good if not better than a stock truck, you really need to drive it to see for yourself, this isn't some hacked up hillbilly SAS this one is done right.

ionyota

I'm intrigued by this truck. Looks really well done. What was your original intent/use with the finished truck?

krazytoy

Adventurer
I'm intrigued by this truck. Looks really well done. What was your original intent/use with the finished truck?

Thanks, the truck is very well done. If you look at any of my past builds you will see I do things the right way and this truck is the best I have done so far. My original intent for the truck was to remove the bed and build a "ute" style bed for it with a 4 link rear suspension with long travel (15") air bags and Fox shocks. I have all the parts to do it but as I mentioned I have lost interest in 4 wheeling in general and I want to focus my interests in building a mini jet boat.

krazytoy

Adventurer
Wow!!! Truly one of a kind. Whoever gets this is going to be pimping

Thanks @Mendo, just did another trip over Labor day, I towed a car trailer with a RZR on it up to the mountains. It's cool to have a choice to tow a RZR or run around the mountains in the truck when you have a vehicle. :smiley_drive:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This is coming from a Ford guy who doesn't usually have the nicest things to say about GM vehicles. What a bada$$ rig, love the SAS and 40's, it's a beast. If someone were to drop a Duramax in it you'd have a lifelong platform. I am seriously surprised that it is still available, but GLWS regardless. Very nice, well done!

Lan

This is coming from a Ford guy who doesn't usually have the nicest things to say about GM vehicles. What a bada$$ rig, love the SAS and 40's, it's a beast. If someone were to drop a Duramax in it you'd have a lifelong platform. I am seriously surprised that it is still available, but GLWS regardless. Very nice, well done!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I keep thinking about this truck and whether I should sell my 7.3 to get it.

krazytoy

Adventurer
If someone were to drop a Duramax in it you'd have a lifelong platform. I am seriously surprised that it is still available, but GLWS regardless. Very nice, well done!

Thank you.
The Duramax is debatable... Remember the Duramax typically comes with a $8k to $10K premium and unless you "need" the Duramax for towing I feel the gas engine is a much better choice, lighter (less wear and tear on axles, tires etc.), much cheaper to maintain/service etc., and if it's power you are after I guarantee you with the aftermarket support of the LS based engine I could take the $8k premium and build an engine that would run circles around a stock Duramax.

shellb

Adventurer
Anything the new owner would need to do out of the gate? Doesn't seem like it but wanted to check.

It's awesome btw - well done on the build!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles