*SOLD* Ujoint Offroad 4x4 Ambulance 7.3 fully built out interior

DillyFPV

Hello,

Up for sale is my 1998 ford e350 7.3 powerstroke diesel 4x4 ambulance with 102k miles. It’s a little daunting to list everything that I’ve done to it, but I’ll do my best. All of the modifications were done by me, in 2020 at about 95k miles. The truck is located in minneapolis MN. There are 100’s of photos and video tour links down below.

First off, it has a Ujoint Offroad 4x4 conversion. If you are not familiar with Ujoint off-road, you should go to their website. They are sort of the authority when it comes to E series 4x4 swaps. I opted to do the 4x4 swap myself with their DIY kit rather than sending it to Ujoint. The conversion is pretty extensive and there is really not a single component under the frame that didn’t get replaced.

-Its a 6” lift with 35” tires
-2004 F350 axles (Dana 60 front, sterling 10.5 rear) completely rebuild with new 4.10 gears, bearings, seals, u joints, ball joints, slotted and drilled rotors, calipers, OX locker in the rear, everything but the housings are new and the gears were professionally set up
-Warn locking hubs (these were used now that I think about it)
-Custom spec Atlas leaf springs for the weight of this vehicle (10,500# with half tanks of diesel and water)
-Fox 2.0 shocks valved for big heavy vans
-Custom Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts
-Reman nv271 transfer case
-4R100 transmission rebuild and modified to accept transfer case
-35x12.5r17 Toyo MT on a nice set of alloys with the proper offset
-A whole mess of brackets, brake lines, hardware, and fabrication to install it all

The next thing you might notice is the roof raise and the fact that it no longer has any ambulance lights. I raised the roof using 2x2 aluminum tubing and 1/8 thick aluminum sheet. I tried to use the same sized materials and stitch welding technique originally used on the ambulance box so it wouldn’t compromise the structural integrity. I also removed and patched a couple dozen light holes to eliminate the possibility of leaks and achieve a cleaner look. There are a plenty of photos of the process in the google drive folder provided down below. While we are on the topic of fabrication, I also build the aluminum winch bumper which houses a 12k winch with synthetic line, an aluminum roof rack over the cab, and a high clearance rear bumper (steel). The paint is a combination of the factory white and a primer that I found which matches very closely. None of the LED lighting on the exterior is currently wired and the new owner will have to do this.

How does it run and drive? Pretty great! The 7.3 makes adequate power and is super reliable. With only 102k miles, there isn’t a whole lot to worry about. Also since the entire suspension and drivetrain is essentially new and the trans was rebuilt, it’s not likely to need any big ticket items anytime soon. It used to leak a little oil, but I fixed that with new HPOP seals and an oil pan cover. The serpentine belt squeaks sometime, but I will be replacing the tensioner and belt before the sale. Also the steering box seeps a little(not leaks, its just always a little wet). Theres no blow by and It doesn’t consume any oil or coolant. I’d drive it anywhere tomorrow. Last winter I averaged 13-14 mpg over a 6000 mile loop from MN to AZ and back with a lot of off roading.

The interior is fully insulated with 2” ridged foam insulation and has both a wood stove and a diesel heater. All cabinetry is baltic birch finished in lacquer. There is 6’2” of head room in the galley, and the bed is 56x79 so tall people are welcome. You can fit 3 adults around the dinette table which also converts into the bed that sleeps two in less than 30 seconds. Its super comfy, had tons of storage, and pretty much everything a singler person or even a brave couple could need for full time travel, even in very cold climates. I’ve camped with temps below zero wearing a t-shirt, its awesome. Here are some specs:

-Cubic mini wood stove
-7kw diesel heater which draws from main 33gal diesel tank(continuous heat for literally like a month)
-Nordcold 12v compressor fridge
-Two burner propane stove top
-Maxxfan
-Deep stainless sing with surflow pump, 30gal fresh/15gal grey both inside the box so they don’t freeze
-LED lighting
-insulated blackout window covers
-1500w pure sine inverter
-300ah AGM house battery
-300w of renogy solar panels
-several 110v outlets throughout

As you can see, this is a one of a kind rig. It’s comfortable, capable, and reliable. It has the space and amenities to live in full time, yet it isn’t too big to drive to the grocery store or hit the jeep trails and get to some spectacular, isolated camp sites. There are however a few details that need to be finished. The new owner will likely want to tackle some jobs like ceiling trim, wiring the exterior lighting, installing front bump stops, installing new e-brake cable, and taking care of some rust. Yeah, its got some rust. Its a 25 year old truck from up north and it’s starting to show. The rocker panels are starting to bubble and will need to be replaced at some point I’d say in the next couple years. Also, the frame is a work in progress. It had lots of surface rust and I spent a solid week under there with a grinder and needle scaler removing it. I used epoxy primer and POR15 to refinish. Most of it still looks pretty good after a year of salt, but it should be re-touched and never got to the rear 2-3 feet of the frame behind the rear spring perches. Fortunately the box is all aluminum so it wont ever rust. I wish I could finish all of this before selling, but I no longer have a place to work on it so must pass the buck. I have priced it accordingly and there is no reason you have to do a thing to it right away, its ready to travel and live in as-is. I will be doing a few things before the new owner takes it such as: new starter batteries, serpentine belt tensioner (for belt squeak) and a new windshield.

The price is $65k. Considering the extent of the modification and cost of the build, I think this is a very fair price. I have $40-50k invested as well as half a year of my own full time, skilled labor. If you were to pay UJOR to do the 4x4, a metal fabricator to do the metal work, and a van builder/cabinet maker to do the interior, you would quickly be at $100k. Look at comparable vehicles like Sportsmobiles, Earthroamers, Revel 4x4 sprinters, etc, and how much they cost.(hint: way more) Plus you will have a one of a kind rig that offers a hard to achieve balance of interior space, comfort, off-road capability, day to day driveabiltiy, cool factor, and value.

I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch of stuff so get a hold of me and I will answer any questions you might have. Thanks for looking.

Dylan 612 414 2723

Youtube video tours:

Exterior
Interior

100’s of photos (sorry they are not organized, google drive doesn’t let you reorganize apparently):

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,364
  • IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,358
  • IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_0742.jpeg
    IMG_0742.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,380
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,399
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,374
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,324
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,264

DillyFPV

As someone who has built a handful of adv rigs out of ambos, I have to say I think yours is the best layout I have seen. Well done
Thank you, I am very proud of the layout specifically. I don't think there is a way to use the space in an ambulance box more efficiently.

tyler.96

Observer
Super cool!
I believe Drive sorts them alphabetically, so if you want to re-organize them, renaming each one is probably your best bet.

Hello,

Up for sale is my 1998 ford e350 7.3 powerstroke diesel 4x4 ambulance with 102k miles. It’s a little daunting to list everything that I’ve done to it, but I’ll do my best. All of the modifications were done by me, in 2020 at about 95k miles. The truck is located in minneapolis MN. There are 100’s of photos and video tour links down below.

First off, it has a Ujoint Offroad 4x4 conversion. If you are not familiar with Ujoint off-road, you should go to their website. They are sort of the authority when it comes to E series 4x4 swaps. I opted to do the 4x4 swap myself with their DIY kit rather than sending it to Ujoint. The conversion is pretty extensive and there is really not a single component under the frame that didn’t get replaced.

-Its a 6” lift with 35” tires
-2004 F350 axles (Dana 60 front, sterling 10.5 rear) completely rebuild with new 4.10 gears, bearings, seals, u joints, ball joints, slotted and drilled rotors, calipers, OX locker in the rear, everything but the housings are new and the gears were professionally set up
-Warn locking hubs (these were used now that I think about it)
-Custom spec Atlas leaf springs for the weight of this vehicle (10,500# with half tanks of diesel and water)
-Fox 2.0 shocks valved for big heavy vans
-Custom Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts
-Reman nv271 transfer case
-4R100 transmission rebuild and modified to accept transfer case
-35x12.5r17 Toyo MT on a nice set of alloys with the proper offset
-A whole mess of brackets, brake lines, hardware, and fabrication to install it all

The next thing you might notice is the roof raise and the fact that it no longer has any ambulance lights. I raised the roof using 2x2 aluminum tubing and 1/8 thick aluminum sheet. I tried to use the same sized materials and stitch welding technique originally used on the ambulance box so it wouldn’t compromise the structural integrity. I also removed and patched a couple dozen light holes to eliminate the possibility of leaks and achieve a cleaner look. There are a plenty of photos of the process in the google drive folder provided down below. While we are on the topic of fabrication, I also build the aluminum winch bumper which houses a 12k winch with synthetic line, an aluminum roof rack over the cab, and a high clearance rear bumper (steel). The paint is a combination of the factory white and a primer that I found which matches very closely. None of the LED lighting on the exterior is currently wired and the new owner will have to do this.

How does it run and drive? Pretty great! The 7.3 makes adequate power and is super reliable. With only 102k miles, there isn’t a whole lot to worry about. Also since the entire suspension and drivetrain is essentially new and the trans was rebuilt, it’s not likely to need any big ticket items anytime soon. It used to leak a little oil, but I fixed that with new HPOP seals and an oil pan cover. The serpentine belt squeaks sometime, but I will be replacing the tensioner and belt before the sale. Also the steering box seeps a little(not leaks, its just always a little wet). Theres no blow by and It doesn’t consume any oil or coolant. I’d drive it anywhere tomorrow. Last winter I averaged 13-14 mpg over a 6000 mile loop from MN to AZ and back with a lot of off roading.

The interior is fully insulated with 2” ridged foam insulation and has both a wood stove and a diesel heater. All cabinetry is baltic birch finished in lacquer. There is 6’2” of head room in the galley, and the bed is 56x79 so tall people are welcome. You can fit 3 adults around the dinette table which also converts into the bed that sleeps two in less than 30 seconds. Its super comfy, had tons of storage, and pretty much everything a singler person or even a brave couple could need for full time travel, even in very cold climates. I’ve camped with temps below zero wearing a t-shirt, its awesome. Here are some specs:

-Cubic mini wood stove
-7kw diesel heater which draws from main 33gal diesel tank(continuous heat for literally like a month)
-Nordcold 12v compressor fridge
-Two burner propane stove top
-Maxxfan
-Deep stainless sing with surflow pump, 30gal fresh/15gal grey both inside the box so they don’t freeze
-LED lighting
-insulated blackout window covers
-1500w pure sine inverter
-300ah AGM house battery
-300w of renogy solar panels
-several 110v outlets throughout

As you can see, this is a one of a kind rig. It’s comfortable, capable, and reliable. It has the space and amenities to live in full time, yet it isn’t too big to drive to the grocery store or hit the jeep trails and get to some spectacular, isolated camp sites. There are however a few details that need to be finished. The new owner will likely want to tackle some jobs like ceiling trim, wiring the exterior lighting, installing front bump stops, installing new e-brake cable, and taking care of some rust. Yeah, its got some rust. Its a 25 year old truck from up north and it’s starting to show. The rocker panels are starting to bubble and will need to be replaced at some point I’d say in the next couple years. Also, the frame is a work in progress. It had lots of surface rust and I spent a solid week under there with a grinder and needle scaler removing it. I used epoxy primer and POR15 to refinish. Most of it still looks pretty good after a year of salt, but it should be re-touched and never got to the rear 2-3 feet of the frame behind the rear spring perches. Fortunately the box is all aluminum so it wont ever rust. I wish I could finish all of this before selling, but I no longer have a place to work on it so must pass the buck. I have priced it accordingly and there is no reason you have to do a thing to it right away, its ready to travel and live in as-is. I will be doing a few things before the new owner takes it such as: new starter batteries, serpentine belt tensioner (for belt squeak) and a new windshield.

The price is $65k. Considering the extent of the modification and cost of the build, I think this is a very fair price. I have $40-50k invested as well as half a year of my own full time, skilled labor. If you were to pay UJOR to do the 4x4, a metal fabricator to do the metal work, and a van builder/cabinet maker to do the interior, you would quickly be at $100k. Look at comparable vehicles like Sportsmobiles, Earthroamers, Revel 4x4 sprinters, etc, and how much they cost.(hint: way more) Plus you will have a one of a kind rig that offers a hard to achieve balance of interior space, comfort, off-road capability, day to day driveabiltiy, cool factor, and value.

I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch of stuff so get a hold of me and I will answer any questions you might have. Thanks for looking.

Dylan 612 414 2723

Youtube video tours:

Exterior
Interior

100’s of photos (sorry they are not organized, google drive doesn’t let you reorganize apparently):

who bought this and do you know if they are reselling? Found it for sale recently And then I found this post…got me a little worried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles