SOLD Turnkey 2000 Montero. $5k firm. Clean and Built. High miles but not worn out. Fly in & drive home anywhere.

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
I'm going to lead with the negatives so we're not on the wrong page.
  • The horn button is stuck on so I've disconnected the horn itself
  • The vehicle has 308k miles on it.
  • There is a very slow leak (thimble per decade I'd estimate) on the transfer case input shaft seal.
  • When cold the passenger side exhaust collector has a small "tick" leak that closes itself up when warm. It's practically nothing but I'm asking for your money so I'm mentioning it.
  • Truck's 20 years old and done a trip to the moon worth of miles, so the body has usual parking lot dings. Documented in photos below.

Everything else not listed above works properly and does not leak. All switch gear, HVAC, electrics, etc. and all general maintenance is up to date. You or your mechanic won't be disappointed.

P1000569.jpg

Model year is 2000 which makes it a Generation 2.5 in the unofficial tongue.

Common characteristics of this generation & trim:
  • 3.5L V6
  • 4 speed Aisin A340 transmission
  • Four position transfer case featuring 1.925:1 low range ratio in 4L-lock, plus 4H-lock, open+viscous AWD and 2wd.
  • Torsion bar independent front suspension
  • Live rear axle with radius arm links & 9.5" ring gear
  • Body-on-boxed frame construction
  • Three channel ABS with logic for AWD/4WD
  • Driver & passenger airbags
  • Very large power sunroof
  • Integrated toolset & flashlights
Platform specific maintenance done recently enough to matter: New heater core spring 2019. Valve guide seals + lifters + valve cover gaskets Winter 2018 (296k miles). Timing belt, water pump, etc service (Aisin/NTN/Continental) July 2017 (280k miles) Sunroof serviced properly with removal, scrubbing & gleitpaste + ultimox. White ball transfer case fulcrum. All cooling hoses replaced in the past 2 years, brass radiator rodded 2017 (280k miles) - no cooling problems.

Characteristics, upgrades and modifications specific to this Montero:

All changes have been done with a lagom ethic, working with the vehicle to amplify its strengths without introducing new weaknesses.

• Five 285/70R17 (that's 33x11) BFGoodrich KO2's on 17x8" AR172 polished wheels.
  • Selectable air-locking rear differential integrated with factory controller, compressor & wiring to function as if factory supplied, including in-gauge indicator
  • Bilstein HD dampers
  • Adventure Driven Design 1" progressive rate lift coils in rear
  • Full complement of Adventure Driven Design stainless steel skidplates (Front, Sump, Transmission, Fuel tank)
  • Adventure Driven Design high clearance front bumper w/ integrated (no bounce) lighting support
  • PIAA 520SMR driving lamps + LED exposure lamps integrated with factory switchgear (no clutter and no new holes in firewall)
  • Satisfyingly loud & clear Pioneer Bluetooth stereo w/ hidden subwoofers & amplifier (no space lost, no clutter or janky wiring)
  • Newly upholstered front seats, rear seat in clean condition, carpet less than 2 years old. Nonsmoker/no pets/no children.
  • Hood has functional (yarn tested) vents integrated, hood and roof have been repainted in factory Sudan Beige Metallic & Gloss White, respectively. I am not a great painter so these look better from at least 5 feet away, but they're really not bad.
  • Rear cargo space has unique bridge integrated from three traction ladders, provides very comfortable sleep platform for 2 while presenting minimal added weight or complexity. Since it's built from traction ladders you could use them for that job as well & they're kept inside away from sun & grabby hands. Clean, fitted futon mattress included if you want it.
  • Adventure Driven Design billet idler kingpin
  • 314mm big brake front rotors (approx. 15% more surface area than OEM)
  • 4.90:1 differential gears which work with the 285/70R17 tires to result in like-stock acceleration & shift/speedometer accuracy
  • SafeBrake steel braided brake hoses (all 5)
  • Duiser rear recovery shackle mount
  • Fitted, functional rock sliders mounted to frame with proper gussets & fatigue plates. Professional welding done so no boogers or perforations.
  • Dashcam with integrated wiring (no clutter)
  • Front axle conversion to stronger AWD style w/ manual hubs, proper wiring done for ABS/AWD/4H operation & indication
  • Originally a California vehicle, presently in Arizona. Absolutely no rust.
  • This vehicle is ready to drive anywhere right now. If you wish to fly in and drive home you can expect no trouble. None of us can predict the future and I'm in no economic position to offer a legal guarantee, but I'd send a friend to Maine in it and not worry that they'd have a problem and it would not be absurd to believe this vehicle has as many miles ahead of it as behind it.

I'd say that most of the people involved in America's online Montero community know me and know this vehicle, so ask around their opinion of me and of the vehicle if you like. I am offering it for sale because I recently needed surgery and can't stand to carry debt.

You've sat through that, now let's look at some photos shall we?
P1000558.jpg
P1000557.jpg
P1000553.jpg
P1000550.jpg
P1000500.jpg
Skidplates removed in these 2 photos to demonstrate condition of undercarriage.
P1000498.jpg
P1000565.jpg
P1000563.jpg
lol a slider on a slider
P1000596.jpg

Extra loot that comes with it, optionally if you want any or all of it:
New Starter
Pair of spare front fenders
Extra (known good) transmission & transfer case
Pair of rear window assemblies (glass and frame)
Complete engine wire harness
Curt tow receiver
Receiver-mount tray (if you want to haul the spare transmission home on it)
Clean futon mattress for shown bed
Whatever random other parts I happen to have, like a cookie jar full of spare bolts/hardware, that sort of stuff.

The asking price is $5000.00 USD and the vehicle is located in Phoenix Arizona. The title is clean & vehicle passed emissions in August 2019.
I accept cash, or can accept credit cards via Paypal if you're paying the 2.9% fee.

Like most people who don't explicitly say otherwise I'm 0% interested in trades, joyrides or either of us wasting each others' time; thank you for your kind respect.

Last edited:

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
Some videos which serve to demonstrate a bit about this machine:

Slideshow of the condition it is in right now Here

Video demonstrating the sunroof in operation Here

Video demonstrating the rock sliders Here

Video series featuring this vehicle Here

Video showing oil condition at end of interval Here

Videos showing the truck driving around in the desert (not current tires) Here and Here

Video showing the truck driving around on rocks (not current tires/bumper) Here

Video showing a bag of chips exploding which has absolutely nothing to do with this Montero Here

Video of the truck conquering SRV213 (not current wheels/tires/bumper) Here

Video that happened when I was procrastinating instead of finishing the video I was supposed to be editing Here

Video made to clearly show undercarriage condition Here

That should pretty well get it all explained.

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Holy cow this thing is a beauty. Had I not gotten a Grand Cherokee a few months ago this would be a great local deal for me.

GLWS: I can tell someone is gonna love this rig. Sorry to hear about the surgery: I hope it went well.

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
Holy cow this thing is a beauty. Had I not gotten a Grand Cherokee a few months ago this would be a great local deal for me.

GLWS: I can tell someone is gonna love this rig. Sorry to hear about the surgery: I hope it went well.

Let me know if you ever want the recipe for storing a full 33" tire in the factory spare location with the cover completely closed :cool: I had a WJ for a few years until the 4.7HO chose to drop its valve seats at an inopportune time & I wasn't in a position to repair it.

Surgery appears to all be good - second one is in December so maybe I can start the new year on a different note than the past few have been playing (y)(y)(y)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Let me know if you ever want the recipe for storing a full 33" tire in the factory spare location with the cover completely closed :cool: I had a WJ for a few years until the 4.7HO chose to drop its valve seats at an inopportune time & I wasn't in a position to repair it.

Surgery appears to all be good - second one is in December so maybe I can start the new year on a different note than the past few have been playing (y)(y)(y)
Best of luck with your upcoming surgeries. Lord knows I've had a bunch. You did a great job with the truck. I remember the 2000's on the lot. A lot of bang for the buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke