-- SOLD -- New Total Composite Camper Kit with windows & door. In the US -- SOLD --

mog

Kodiak Wrangler
Knowing that the panels can be cut and that TC has some accessories for supporting cabovers, etc. is also "freeing".
The braces that ArcLab made to use on their Total Composite build looks awesome.
cabover-brace.jpg
arclab-brace.jpg

I would venture to guess that for a cabover build Total Composite has some 'special sauce' they add to their panels for added strength and connectivity. There are multiple TC cabover builds, so I'm sure Andreas is all geared up for the special needs of those builds.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The braces that ArcLab made to use on their Total Composite build looks awesome.
View attachment 610767View attachment 610768

I would venture to guess that for a cabover build Total Composite has some 'special sauce' they add to their panels for added strength and connectivity. There are multiple TC cabover builds, so I'm sure Andreas is all geared up for the special needs of those builds.
Yes, the ArcLabs are freaking sexy as hell! They quoted me $1400 for a set.. ummmm, no... I could have them made locally just as sexy for a fraction of that!

Andres now includes their version with the cab overs. They’re nice and well made. I don’t have any pics right now. But he has some on their IG page

One of mine is just in there temporarily until I get the aluminum box built to take the space and then I’m going to modify the support and move it closer to the center of the bed and have the box also act as a support.

mog

Kodiak Wrangler
Yes, the ArcLabs are freaking sexy as hell! They quoted me $1400 for a set.. ummmm, no... I could have them made locally just as sexy for a fraction of that!
Andres now includes their version with the cab overs. They’re nice and well made. I don’t have any pics right now. But he has some on their IG page
One of mine is just in there temporarily until I get the aluminum box built to take the space and then I’m going to modify the support and move it closer to the center of the bed and have the box also act as a support.
Ahhhh, I found the TC brace. German practicability, perhaps they need an Italian designer on staff ;)

TC-brace.jpg

Your design sounds intriguing. So are you going to have an AL storage box to the side, or between the cabin and cab? (I know, I should wait for the official update)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Designing the brace came down to pricing. Our goal was to include it without a huge increase in price.

Reactions: mog

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Your design sounds intriguing. So are you going to have an AL storage box to the side, or between the cabin and cab? (I know, I should wait for the official update)
I have a 21” gap between the Cab and camper by design. The spare will be on one side and an Alu box housing a fridge and “stuff” on the other.

But yeah... wait for updates :p

It’s all still kinda fluid

Reactions: mog

mog

Kodiak Wrangler
I have a 21” gap between the Cab and camper by design. The spare will be on one side and an Alu box housing a fridge and “stuff” on the other.
Roger that! My plan for my Fuso was to have a 30" aluminum box in front of the cabin to hold 2 spare tires on the right side (wimpy 37"s) with lots of other storage. That would also blend the cab height to the cabin height, but its primary function was to allow the cabin to sit lower on the frame. The Fusos have a stepped frame, so the first 2.5 feet behind the cab are 8-9 inches higher than the remaining rear of the frame. Most mount the cabin right behind the cab, so they have to be that much higher (some have stepped their cabin). But with the very useful box there, a lower cabin mounting is possible.
fuso-pass-700.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Roger that! My plan for my Fuso was to have a 30" aluminum box in front of the cabin to hold 2 spare tires on the right side (wimpy 37"s) with lots of other storage. That would also blend the cab height to the cabin height, but its primary function was to allow the cabin to sit lower on the frame. The Fusos have a stepped frame, so the first 2.5 feet behind the cab are 8-9 inches higher than the remaining rear of the frame. Most mount the cabin right behind the cab, so they have to be that much higher (some have stepped their cabin). But with the very useful box there, a lower cabin mounting is possible.
View attachment 611054
That looks pretty dang fancy.. nice!

Recommended books for Overlanding

We Will Be Free: Overlanding In Africa and Around South A...
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $17.87
Overlanding the Americas: La Lucha
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95

mog

Kodiak Wrangler
So just how did you lift the roof up onto the nearly built box on top fo the truck?
When I helped build Quade's box which was much bigger at 16 feet long by 8 feet wide (128 sq.ft) vs. this kit's max size at 12 feet long by 7 feet wide (84 sq.ft., so 35% smaller), we just had 6 guys (admittedly, big and tall guys) lift the roof into place. It worked quite well and was very easy to position, a good thing as due to the air temp (100 °+) we only had about 15 minutes to get it into position.
Of course, if you don't have an army of giants on call, I would venture to guess that a Drywall Lift would work quite well for panel positioning ("Wide enough to stabilize a 12 foot sheet 15 feet above ground,150Lbs Load Capacity"). They are pretty cheap to buy ($170 +/-) or you can rent them from big-box home stores like Home Depot.
I would say the biggest thing with any Total Composite kit, is to not build in extremely hot weather. The provided adhesive (Kommerling) is great stuff, super easy to work with, cleans-up with soap and water (prior to setting), but sets quickly in high ambient temperatures. The roof panel should only weigh between 130-160 pounds according to the Total Composite specifications.

Last edited:

kcshoots

Tried to PM you but sadly can't figure out how to send a PM, only start a conversation, which I thought was a PM but seems like it's a new thread. Please PM me back, thanks,