SOLD: LMTV M1078 Expedition vehicle starter kit

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Up for sale is my 1996 LMTV M1078. Included in the sale is the truck which is 99% done and a Hi-Lo camper habitat shell that will need a lot of work to complete. I bought this truck in 2016 from the town of Decaturville TN who had gotten it from the military through the 1033 program ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program ). This is important because most LMTVs are being sold to the public through GovPlanet because there's something wrong with them. This one was donated, in good working order, to the town and they had to keep it for one year before selling it.

Asking price is $35,000 but I'm open to serious offers.

Here's the build thread.... https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/another-lmtv-build.175747/

Reason for selling is I recently picked up a '72 Ford Bronco and that was basically the tipping point for having too many projects and not enough time or space. Something's gotta go.

Everything on the truck is in good working order. There are a few tree branch scratches in the paint and a few rust spots on the flatbed frame but overall it's in great shape.
The truck currently has 10,900 miles. 3000 of which I put on it.
Got 8 mpg on last fill up.
Clear Minnesota title.
No commercial license needed.
Insurance isn't a big deal. I have it insured through State Farm.

Here are some of the stock specs and other items worth noting:
  • CAT 3116 Diesel engine
  • Allison push button auto trans
  • All wheel drive (70 rear/30 front) with MODE button to lock the transfer case.
  • Air ride cab with brand new airbags.
  • CTIS Central Tire Inflation - Air tires up and down from inside the cab.
  • Built in crane to raise and lower the spare tire.
Upgrades that I've done:
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser blue paint
  • High speed gears which allow you to cruise at 65-70 mph vs the 50-55 with stock gears. The going rate for this upgrade is $4-5k.
  • New 2015 date code tires which makes the higher speeds a little safer.
  • Black powder coated wheels.
  • Air conditioning - The in cab units are very hard to get these days.
  • Toyota Sienna seats.
  • Rubber flooring and heat/sound deadening in and under the cab.
  • Custom flatbed with composite deck boards and slide out platform for the camper.
  • Onboard propane generator.
  • 2" receiver hitch
  • Small winch on the back intended for a hitch mount lift platform. see rendering.
  • LED headlights
  • Custom 3 point habitat mounting system designed so the habitat can be easily removed with custom lifting jacks.
Things left to do:
  • The ceiling in the truck has 1" foam insulation but no headliner material. It has the stock green door panels which could easily be covered in fabric.
  • Need to mount the propane tank for the generator.
  • The habitat needs just about everything. I re-skinned it with .063 aluminum and the lift mechanism works but it'll need a full interior.
  • Front and rear fenders. I have the stock rubber fronts but it will need something more for the rear.
UPDATE 6/19/19
More info on the Habitat:
I'll add pics further down in the thread.

• It was completely stripped when I got it and the exterior was pretty rough so I re-skinned it and added the windows and storage boxes around the bottom.
  • The side storage boxes are only 4" deep and the plan was to use the space for small storage items, exterior shower (?) and to run electrical, propane and possibly water lines.
  • I added a rear storage compartment that holds (3) batteries, and inverter and the hydraulic lift pump. The lift pump leaks a little (just a fitting) but works great.
  • I built a steel frame for the bed and bench seats. Below the bed are (2) large and (2) small drawers and a space for the table to slide in for more floor space.
  • The bed frame is on a tilt mechanism for easy access to the storage and water tanks below the bed. There are also exterior doors to access this area.
  • Below the bed are (2) 25 gallon water tanks and pump
  • I started on insulating and finishing the interior walls but the adhesive I used separated from the foam insulation board so it'll have to be redone.
  • I added and extra layer of 1/2" foam insulation and MDF to the floor. Still needs finish flooring.
  • I added (2) black/grey water storage tanks underneath. Can recall the size.
  • It will need all weatherstripping. I have materials but nothing is installed.
  • The rear window will need to be repaired or replaced.

Options:
  • For a reasonable offer I also have a bunch of items I bought for the habitat (200watt Solar, Batteries, Inverter, 3 way Fridge, propane heater, propane water heater, stove, sink, tilt bed frame, shower base, toilet etc)
  • I also have a Detroit style dif locker that I haven't installed yet.
Feel free to call or text with questions.
Terry
612-910-0715

I'll post a bunch more pics later tonight.....

Last edited:

DanoinCO

Very cool! Would be interested but I need a setup where I could have a couple people ride in the back...maybe a pass thru someday...

Keyne

Adventurer
Nice write up and truck. What is the overall length? Also, how long is the flat bed?

Heck forget working on a Hi-lo camper and just add an Alaskan flatbed camper to it (with a matching blue stripe). That would be an awesome setup for less than $100K... GLWS.

Last edited:

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Nice write up and truck. What is the overall length? Also, how long is the flat bed?

Heck forget working on a Hi-lo camper and just add an Alaskan flatbed camper to it (with a matching blue stripe). That would be an awesome setup for less than $100K... GLWS.

The overall length from the spare tire to the back of the flatbed is 160" +/- but the flat portion before it steps up for the transmission is 129" +/-. I can get exact measurements if needed.

Coachgeo

Explorer
ahhhhh... man..... wanted so much to see you finish this..... here is one incintive to finish..... if you do the sell value will DOUBLE even after you put a year or so camping in her!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles