SOLD Ford F-250 7.3 Custom Camper

atxboug

SOLD

Since taking the reigns of Bruce from @Basil last September the adventures have continued and Bruce did not disappoint. In the past eight months Bruce has logged just over 17,500 miles. Current ODO is ~205,500 and will continue to log miles until sold. Bruce has proven his versatility in the mountains of UT, ID, WY, WA, OR, MT and allowed me to tour the beaches of the Outer Banks of NC. He has had no issues while driving Coast to Coast 3.5 times now. Detailed previous listing with all specs linked at bottom of listing for those not familiar with Bruce.

"Why are you selling Bruce already?"
  • First off, nothing is 'wrong' with Bruce. I purchased Bruce for a year of vehicle based exploration and to live out of while I search for where I would like to buy land and eventually build a home. It has accomplished that mission and I'm not in a hurry to offload this amazing and capable rig.
  • I plan to purchase property within the next 6-12 months and will likely purchase a slide-in camping rig; likely a new F-250/350 and a Northern Lite or similar camper, so that I can use the truck for hauling constrution materials and set the camper on jacks on the new property to live out of while doing construction.
"What have I done with Bruce since purchasing from Basil?"
  • Front brakes (rotors and pads) done at 198K; also L front hub replaced at same time. Basil previously replaced the R hub.
  • Replaced MaxxFann
  • Removed Propane water heater as it was not Winter capable; ready for install of new Camplux unit (~150.00 on Amazon)
  • Installed Propex furnace. Install done by Small Car Perfomance in Tacoma, WA. This was a game changer for camping in freezing mountain temps. In the evenings I'd use the Tiny Wood stove fireplace; in the mornings before I would get out of bed I can ignite the propex and have the cabin warmed-up in 15 minutes.
  • Small usability additions: orgaziner/storage bins for clothing and gear, new RAM mounts for phone and tablet in cab, BROG visor pouches and XL spare tire bag (used for chimney and firewood storage), Wireless indoor/outdoor digital thermometer, reflectix window shades.
  • New Brophy aluminum stairs. Previous set was one step shorter than ideal for height of Bruce.
  • Fluid changes, tire rotations, etc... As most of you know, Bruce was pretty turn-key since Basil was living out the rig previously. I lived-out of the rig for weeks at a time between and during National Guard training and contract work trips.
Upgrades or maintenance that myself or future owner should consider:
  • Steering stabilizer upgrade. I didn't realize it until I drove someone elses truck that had one installed. Bruce gets some bump steer as it appears the stock stabilizer is worn-out or simply inadequate.
  • I just had the new tires that were previously spares rotated onto the rear; front tires have estimated 10k before I would replace.
  • Replace CampLux for warm weather outdoor showers; would just remove for freezing temps.
  • Windshield has two cracks; were there at time of purchase and have not increased in size, nor do they obstruct view. It could be replaced at any time.
  • Clear coat is coming off on hood, some minor surface rust where cab meets windshield. I'm considering doing body prep/rust repair and spraying the entire cab with Raptor Liner bed liner. Saw this on a friends jeep and it looks amazing.
  • The truck and camper batteries are still going strong, but are estimated to be approaching 3 years old as they are the orginal batteries that Basil installed. I constantly run the fridge/freezer and I rarely see the house batteries go below 11.5 with the solar and on the road charging.
Hopefully, Bruce's next owner will be able to continue take Bruce for long walks in Baja or hikes in the Sierra Nevada or National Forests. The ground clearance allows one to explore just a little bit further and to put further distance between Bruce and the nearest campsites.

Bruce will be in MN for the next week while I sell a house, then I'll be heading West again. Delivery can be arranged to any state that will be travelling through or to in the next couple of months. This will include MN, SD, WY, CO, UT, MT and possibly NV.

SOLD
Price is firm for the next 2 weeks. I plan to drop price incrementally after 2-4 weeks on market, but I won't be in a hurry to offload Bruce until September as I have an extended work trip that will take me out of the country at that time. Facetime viewings cab be arranged for serious buyers.

IMG_0651.jpgIMG_7081.JPGIMG_0680.jpgIMG_0681.jpg

Basil's Original Sale Thread for detailed pics and description.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I can't tell from any of the photos - could the dinette/table area be configured as a 2nd bed? (Maybe with a little work?)

I see there's a water tank in the back seat - is any of the rear seat still in place?

(If you can't tell, we're a family of three, so I'm all about finding rigs for more than a couple of folks.)

Thanks!

atxboug

I can't tell from any of the photos - could the dinette/table area be configured as a 2nd bed? (Maybe with a little work?)

I see there's a water tank in the back seat - is any of the rear seat still in place?

(If you can't tell, we're a family of three, so I'm all about finding rigs for more than a couple of folks.)

Thanks!
With minimal cost, this can be done. I would create a platform that would match the height of the Dometic fridge and bench seat to accommodate a small mattress; kid size would be easy. I’ll post a pic for possible dimensions. The platform could be stored under main bed mattress when not in use or on cargo rack on side of Bruce (would need to be weatherproof).

atxboug

55” long by 44” wide would allow for access to fridge side of Dometic and would not interfere with door to camper. You could also just match width of Dometic. Use RV style table mounting poles as depicted. Not much room in cab with current configuration.

152A0423-0E52-47F5-BD5E-7732AA25623E.jpeg06B5EF7F-2ED8-4343-82D2-F4B08F7270F4.jpegC62E3198-AF9B-48D2-A28F-994855E5C444.jpegCF9F89FF-4503-4CC6-9EDC-C34F5F0F3198.jpeg

Last edited:

deankj

Does the camper have a metal frame? Is the siding fiberglass or metal? How is the camper attached to the truck frame? Obviously this has held up to quite a bit of use but curious as to materials and how well the shell will continue to hold up over time.

atxboug

Does the camper have a metal frame? Is the siding fiberglass or metal? How is the camper attached to the truck frame? Obviously this has held up to quite a bit of use but curious as to materials and how well the shell will continue to hold up over time.
This is one robust camper and subframe. Shows no signs of giving-up... From Basil’s listing that is linked in post:
“The camper is solid mounted onto the trucks frame through the stock truck bed mounts, he built a subframe that mounts to them out of 2x4” .240 wall steel and the camper body drops onto that and is bolted down. So yes, the camper is removable but not without a forklift. The camper body was constructed to last, he used 1x2” .120 wall rectangular steel to frame it, galvanized sheet steel exterior, foam insulation, 1x2” wood ribs to support doors, windows, cabinets, and 1/8th inch plywood inside. All seams are double sealed with marine adhesive, and the exterior corners have been reinforced with stainless steel angle.”

deankj

This is one robust camper and subframe. Shows no signs of giving-up... From Basil’s listing that is linked in post:
“The camper is solid mounted onto the trucks frame through the stock truck bed mounts, he built a subframe that mounts to them out of 2x4” .240 wall steel and the camper body drops onto that and is bolted down. So yes, the camper is removable but not without a forklift. The camper body was constructed to last, he used 1x2” .120 wall rectangular steel to frame it, galvanized sheet steel exterior, foam insulation, 1x2” wood ribs to support doors, windows, cabinets, and 1/8th inch plywood inside. All seams are double sealed with marine adhesive, and the exterior corners have been reinforced with stainless steel angle.”
Did not see that link, I'll take a look. Cheers!

YendraBuilt

YendraBuilt
Very interested in Bruce, I have been following this truck's adventures for a few years now! If possible, I'd like to chat tonight before I drive 100 miles to look at a truck.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles