SOLD

Tim RR

Very cool rig. Does it have a cooktop or oven? I see the convection/micro.

Thank you! To maximize countertop space and flexibility we use an induction hot plate (can use it outside or inside). It has worked out great for us and stores conveniently in the top drawer. The convection oven is also fantastic. The kids put it to work frequently baking breads and treats.

Tim RR

It has me thinking if I could sell my house then it might be possible. Anyway, what do you mean when you say frost free for the water system? Are the tanks outside the heated space with heating mats? Do you find the gray tank to limit full time? How often are you emptying it out? What about accessibility and space to retrofit the shower to recirculating? Also curious if the engine has EGR or not. Thanks in advance and GLWS.

Funny, we sold our house, furniture, etc. three years ago to make our adventure happen. Too bad the housing prices were not as high as they are today, lol.

Good questions: Yes to EGR but no SCR so no DEF needed. All the plumbing and tanks are inside the well insulated habitat. As long as the living area is kept warm, the water system will stay warm too. Regarding the grey water, if you don’t introduce anything harmful (shower and sinks), it can be dumped anywhere it is responsible to do so. It is really no different than a camp shower or washing dishes outside. If a future owner wanted to add a recirculating system for the shower, the plumbing is easy to access and there are a couple of potential location options for that equipment.

Tell_me_more

Hey Tim,

Could you show us some photos of the sub-frame system and how it works? is it a 4 point?

Great truck! best of luck with the sale!!

Tim RR

Hey Tim,

Could you show us some photos of the sub-frame system and how it works? is it a 4 point?

Great truck! best of luck with the sale!!

I opted for the KISS approach and went with a rail-on-rail subframe. It is a simple, proven and low maintenance design. I like that it does a solid job of keeping all 4 tires on the ground, contributes little to overall height (keeping the center of gravity low) and has essentially no moving parts to grease or maintain. I also like that the vast majority of the time the weight is evenly distributed along the chassis rails, that is until it is time to go to work. Then, as it maintains a flat sturdy platform for the habitat, it favors one rail over the other while allowing the truck chassis to flex.

This system is also commonly used for tanker trucks and has similar characteristics to a dumptruck. It is fixed in the rear and allows for the rails to increasingly separate towards the cab.

It is very difficult to see the system with the storage boxes mounted so this older picture will have to do. It was taken the day I brought home the Total Composites panels back in 2016. To save cost we shared a shipping container with a guy who was building on the unimog platform. The video of us leaving camp does a pretty good job showing the system in motion.

9121D734-8011-4045-9576-ADC529DEC837.jpeg

Alloy

I opted for the KISS approach and went with a rail-on-rail subframe. It is a simple, proven and low maintenance design. I like that it does a solid job of keeping all 4 tires on the ground, contributes little to overall height (keeping the center of gravity low) and has essentially no moving parts to grease or maintain. I also like that the vast majority of the time the weight is evenly distributed along the chassis rails, that is until it is time to go to work. Then, as it maintains a flat sturdy platform for the habitat, it favors one rail over the other while allowing the truck chassis to flex.

This system is also commonly used for tanker trucks and has similar characteristics to a dumptruck. It is fixed in the rear and allows for the rails to increasingly separate towards the cab.

It is very difficult to see the system with the storage boxes mounted so this older picture will have to do. It was taken the day I brought home the Total Composites panels back in 2016. To save cost we shared a shipping container with a guy who was building on the unimog platform. The video of us leaving camp does a pretty good job showing the system in motion.

View attachment 665856

Why fixed at the back? I'd think fixing at the front would make the pass through easier.

Tell_me_more

Oh very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Does this chassis have the extra thick frame with the additional C channel bolted on over top? Or is the name of the game keep the chassis as flexible as possible?

Cheers

Tim RR

Oh very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Does this chassis have the extra thick frame with the additional C channel bolted on over top? Or is the name of the game keep the chassis as flexible as possible?

Cheers

The frame spec is based on desired capacity and specialty loading requirements. RedRover’s frame is standard for 27,000 GVWR... single channel, standard dimensions and strength. Additional frame would have only contributed unwanted weight IMO.

Tim RR

Why fixed at the back? I'd think fixing at the front would make the pass through easier.

Fixing the subframe at the front (near the cab), which is actually about 1/3 of the way into the chassis frame (end to end) would create an additional and unwanted stress concentration in the loaded zone of the frame. When fixed at the back, the attachment is basically in an unloaded zone. In addition, during frame twist when the weight of the cab and engine leans one way, the weight of the habitat leans to the other side, helping to keep balance.

Reactions: mog

Alloy

Fixing the subframe at the front (near the cab), which is actually about 1/3 of the way into the chassis frame (end to end) would create an additional and unwanted stress concentration in the loaded zone of the frame. When fixed at the back, the attachment is basically in an unloaded zone. In addition, during frame twist when the weight of the cab and engine leans one way, the weight of the habitat leans to the other side, helping to keep balance.

Thank You. Good to know.

Neil61

Fabulous rig that I’ve been following from day 1. Question: what modifications would you make to turn it into a 2 person rig?

Tell_me_more

Did the airbags you added over the leaf springs on the front axle help it ride smoother?

Did you consider just going to airbags in the back instead of Leaf springs? I see a lot of internationals on the road with that setup.

This truck is well built! Hope you find a buyer who appreciates the amount of work that goes into something like this!

Tim RR

Did the airbags you added over the leaf springs on the front axle help it ride smoother?

Did you consider just going to airbags in the back instead of Leaf springs? I see a lot of internationals on the road with that setup.

This truck is well built! Hope you find a buyer who appreciates the amount of work that goes into something like this!

Thank you!

Yes, Tulsa Truck Mfg really came through for us. The system provides great ride adjustability and load support. Thanks to Clayton Murphy (@crewfouradv) and ADVTinker (@ ADVTinker) for the idea. Both of whom have this setup on their Internationals.

I am happy with the leaf springs all around for their simplicity. When I purchased this truck I sought them out to reduce risk of failure, although air suspension on the newer rigs is probably a lot more reliable than I give it credit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz