SOLD! Custom M1101 with Amtech Fiberglass Top $7,500

Doctor BeBop

2003 Raytheon M1101 Aluminum Military Trailer with Amtech Fiberglass Top

SOLD October 1, 2022

I am selling an M1101 trailer that I have built over the last few years due to health problems. It is currently listed on eBay along with the Jeep. This trailer was built specifically for my Jeep CJ-7--it sits at the same height, the colors are as close to matching as I could get, and it uses the same 5x5.5 lug pattern, lug nuts, tires and wheels as the Jeep. Interior is empty and can be left as is for hauling gear or built into backcountry camper. It is a unique, spacious trailer for its size. I probably get at least five people who stop and ask about it everywhere I had it. This is a heavy duty yet very light trailer with fresh packed wheel bearings and I would not hesitate to tow this trailer anywhere. For several pictures, see the Flickr link below. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks!
  • Body and Frame: Aluminum body and frame 2003 Raytheon M1101 trailer exterior sprayed with bed liner in desert tan to match Jeep.
  • Top: Amtech fiberglass top with Jim Black offshore glass boat hatches in side and front for windows, sealed with 3M marine polyurethane sealant. The top is sprayed with black bed liner to match Jeep top. Top can support up to 500 lbs and has tie down rings for use with cargo rack, boat or kayak racks, or leave as is for aerodynamics and easier snow removal.
  • Electrical: 12 volt conversion. Uses 4 pin flat connector. All of the lights work as they should and several of the reflectors have been replaced with new old stock military reflectors to restore them to like-new condition.
  • Suspension: Military suspension has been completely replaced with custom Timbren "axle-less" trailing arm axles. Axles are 2,200 lb off-road models with 4" lift custom ordered directly from Timbren with 5,200 lb spindles instead of 3,500 lb spindles so that custom hubs could be used. Spindles have Zerk fittings on their tips for fast and efficient wheel bearing packing. Each trailing arm axle unit is bolted to the trailer frame with 3 grade 8 bolts, and the two trailing arm units are tied to each other with a 2"x2" square tube with 1/4" wall thickness using 2 grade 8 bolts in each unit. The axles fit the trailer as if they were made specifically for it. The suspension setup is light yet strong, has great travel and has plenty of ground clearance.
  • Hubs: I used Kodiak stainless steel 5,200 lb boat trailer hubs machined to use the same lug pattern and lugs as the Jeep so only one spare tire needs to be carried for the Jeep and trailer. Hubs run true with zero runout.
  • Tires and Wheels: BF Goodrich All Terrain 33x10 tires on Pro Comp 69 "Vintage" 15x8 wheels, the same brand, model and size as used on the Jeep so the trailer wheels could be used as spares for the Jeep in an emergency. Trailer uses the same lug nuts as the Jeep.
  • Brakes: Military hydraulic braking system has been completely removed to save weight. Trailer is street legal without brakes in all but one state (NY) due to it being under 1,500 lbs. If kept under 2,000 lbs loaded, the trailer would be legal in all but four states (CA, NV, ID, NY). If brakes are desired, the axles have brake mounting flanges to accommodate disc or drum brakes. Trailer is estimated to weigh about 1,200 lbs as is.
  • Stabilizer Legs: Comes with original military stabilizer support legs for rear of trailer.
  • Coupling: The trailer uses a pintle hook and lunette coupler for optimal off-road articulation. Jeep comes with 10,000 lb pintle hook hitch.Trailer hitch can essentially pivot 90 degrees left or right and up or down, and can twist about 45 degrees either way. There is no concern about the hitch becoming disconnected in rough country.
  • Towing: Trailer has 200 miles on it since build--I towed it from Pahrump NV to Lake Havasu City AZ. It tows straight with zero wheel runout. You don't even know it's there.
  • Disclosures: If I was going to keep this trailer, I would add a rear view camera (a wifi camera that works with the Garmin GPS would be perfect) and a third brake light for increased safety. I am including an adapter to add a third brake light.
Here is a link to larger, high resolution photos of the trailer (copy and paste into your browser):

Last edited:

KD702

Not going to lie, if this thing was even close to MN I would give it some serious thought. I have a brand new set of Timbrens setting in the garage just waiting for one of these that hasn't been converted yet. good luck on the sale.

Doctor BeBop

Thanks for the best wishes. It's funny you mention you are in MN. I had one guy from MN fly out here when I first posted the ad who seemed really interested. He drove the Jeep around, checked out the trailer extensively, and then I never heard from him again. In retrospect, I suspect he too was building one and wanted to see how it all went together and how it towed. Regarding the build, my biggest concern was mounting the Timbren axles on the frame rail where the crossmember was located on the frame. Prior to buying the axles, I had sketched it all up and was not quite sure if the mounting holes on the axle would clear the crossmember. But, they fit perfectly; the mounting holes lined up perfectly in front of and in the back of the crossmember when the spindles were located exactly in the middle of the wheel well opening. Also, the clearance side-to-side for the 33" tires was perfect: the tire lines up right in the center of the wheel well with about an inch clearance on either side. So, you should be good to go when you find a trailer for your project. The first trailer I bought I went and towed it home myself. The second one I bought, I hired a guy to tow it. He didn't charge very much and it was worth for me to hire him. Both were bought at military auctions. As you know, the prices for these trailers have gone up tremendously from when they were first selling as people learned how well built and durable they are. Good luck with your project!

Doctor BeBop

Here is my response to a private message that I received:

Monday at 5:43 PM

Interior:
L 7' 2"
W 6' 8"
H 5' 4"

(About the size of a king size bed)

Exterior:
L 11' 0"
W 7' 3"
H 7' 4"

Hitch Height to Center of Lunette:
20.0"

My plan was originally to build a bench on both sides with a table in the middle that converted to a sleeping area. My other M1101 I placed two Yeti coolers in the inside front and two Sceptor water cans on the tongue. This one I planned on putting propane tanks on the tongue and water inside, but left the interior blank so a buyer could build it the way he wanted. I prefer simplicity, others who saw it wanted me to build a platform on top with a ladder and all types of complexities. Having stabilizer legs in the front would be nice, too, for windy areas.

Doctor BeBop

A response to another PM:

Tongue weight: 180 lbs (can be adjusted by shifting cargo between front and rear of axle)

Total weight: estimated to be around 1,200 lbs. If this is critical to you, I can take it to a public scale and weigh it.

Doctor BeBop

Yes, I still have it. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll post my responses, or if you would like to see it send me a private message. Thanks, Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles