SOLD-Camper Van -- 4 Forward Facing Captains Chairs -- Sleeps 4 -- Standing Headroom

clarkh

Observer
SOLD 2.13.16

Although it would't surprise me if some of you guys would try, this is probably not a vehicle you can take on the WRT or the Rubicon. But it can go most of the places most people want to go....

DSC03104-1024x576.jpg

DSC03109-1024x576.jpg

More pictures at www.harveytravels.com

For Sale:

Location – San Diego, CA

Contact - sdcampervan@gmail.com

We have outgrown our camper. I built this thinking we’d own it forever, but as the kids grow we have realized it’s just a tad too small. I required forward facing seats for the kids that were close enough that we could talk without yelling. We needed sleeping arrangements for 4, preferably with the two kids separated. I’m 6’4” and I wanted to be able to stand up inside. The following is what we came up with. It has worked great for us, we’ve spent well over 200 nights in it over the last 6 years.

Van Details:

Van purchased 7/09. 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 170” WB Currently 52,xxx Miles

Optional Equiptment:

Suspension seats – air ride, nice!

Tow package

Reinforced Front Axle

Power heated mirrors

Cruise control

We added:

Kenwood DNX 6140 with HD radio module

Upgraded speakers

Backup cam

Scanguage 2

20 inch fold down screen for movies

Reimo seat swivel passenger side

18 Gallon Aux fuel tank – Upscale Automotive Sprinter Store

Spare Tire Carrier, rear door – Upscale Automotive Sprinter Store

MB Grill

Euro style cable chains for snow/ice. Never used

Camper details:

Dual Captain Chairs. Swivel and recline.

Windows – CR Lawrence all the way around with tint. 4 of them awning type.

Fiamma F65 Awning

Fantastic Fan with thermostatic remote control

Webasto Airtop 2000 heater

Magnum MS 2000 inverter/charger with remote and battery monitor kit (might be 2800)

Sure Power Battery Separator

10 6V Golf Cart batteries

Battery connections and high amp lines ran with appropriate size welding wire

Led lighting in ceiling

2 Littlite reading lights. 3 position OFF-WHITE-RED

2 Hella 2 speed fans

Multiple 12V and 120V outlets. USB outlets

Vitrifrigo 8 cu. Ft. Fridge with separate freezer (ice!).

Sharp Convection Microwave Oven

Maple Butcher-block countertop

Shurflo water pump

Water filter for drinking water

20 Gallon fresh water tank – Appox.

6 Gallon Grey water tank – Appox.

4 Gallon Electric hot water heater – 120V

All water lines are PEX

Exterior shower from Adventure trailers

Thetford Porta Potti

Fire Extinguisher

Interior framed with 80/20 Extruded aluminum and skinned with environmentally friendly Plybo

Closed Cell Spray foam insulation

Froli Sleep System

Van walls and ceiling were sprayed with closed cell foam for insulation and sound deadening. The floor got either a layer of roll on sound deadening (Noxudol) or a layer of Dynamat, then a layer of closed cell sound deadening foam and a layer of mass loaded vinyl. This thing is QUIET! Over that in the camper portion in plywood, then cork flooring.

All cabinets are framed using 80/20 aluminum and skinned with Plybo. Very, very strong. Couches have a total of 6 seat belts for taking friends with you, and fold into a very comfortable bed. Kids or very small adults sleep in the fold down beds (similar to a cot), also made of 80/20.

We always set up our Partner stove outside for cooking, using the sink and counter area for prep and clean up. The layout of the camper has worked extremely well for us. The van, while large, is very easy to drive. The turning radius is great so parking isn’t as bad as you’d think. The van is very easy to drive, cruise control works great, you’re up high and can see things out ahead. We have slept in the van parked on city streets in places such as San Francisco, Telluride, Jackson Hole, Bilbao, Spain, Czech Republic, Baltimore, Italy, Holland, France and more, in addition to the front or back yard of friends and family – nobody had ever hassled us. Yes, the van is a world traveler. We shipped it to Europe and back for 2 summers of travel.

Condition:

Van had most of the common Sprinter issues and all were repaired under warrantee with no further problems. Runs great. Biggest issue is probably the notoriously poor paint quality on these vans. There are 10-15 small dings in the paint, none appear to be rusting. There are a few small scratches in the rear up high where the wind blew a tree branch back and forth in a storm while I was parked. The passenger side door lock does not lock via the key fob, you must physically lock it. We mainly enter exit through the sliding door, this hasn’t been a big deal for us.

In the camper portion, all major systems work great. Batteries are about 4 years old, have been well maintained but do not hold charge like they used to. I’d say they are halfway through their life? The heater has been installed for 4 years or so, but I just got it working a few months ago, so it’s basically new. It works great. The kids captain’s chairs are showing their age and could use new covers.

This is a proven layout that we feel is the best way to travel, camp and explore with 2 adults and 2 kids if you require forward facing seats for your children (a must), headroom to stand without a pop top, and comfortable, quick interior sleeping arrangements for 4 (and don't need 4x4).

Price -- $47,999

More pictures at www.harveytravels.com

Last edited:

Aquathlete13

Observer
Love your campervan. It is amazing how hard it is to find something that can accomodate car seats, safely. This is exactly the sort of thing I've been searching for. What is the weight limit on the upper bunks; and if I may ask, how old are you kids now that you've outgrown it? Thanks!

clarkh

Observer
Love your campervan. It is amazing how hard it is to find something that can accomodate car seats, safely. This is exactly the sort of thing I've been searching for. What is the weight limit on the upper bunks; and if I may ask, how old are you kids now that you've outgrown it? Thanks!

Aquathlete - Saw one of your other posts and sent you a PM last week... Though this may interest you. Kids turn 11 and 13 next month. We're tall people though, and the 13 year old girl has really sprouted in the past year. Bunk weight - I'm confident it would hold anybody that is small enough to crawl up there. Weak point being where it attaches to the ceiling.

Aquathlete13

Observer
Aquathlete - Saw one of your other posts and sent you a PM last week... Though this may interest you. Kids turn 11 and 13 next month. We're tall people though, and the 13 year old girl has really sprouted in the past year. Bunk weight - I'm confident it would hold anybody that is small enough to crawl up there. Weak point being where it attaches to the ceiling.

Oh, great, thank you! I am so sorry that I missed the PM. I keep forgetting to log in when I am on the site. My kiddos are almost 3 and almost 5, so plenty of time to adventure! Will be in touch! Thank you!

clarkh

Observer
Oh, great, thank you! I am so sorry that I missed the PM. I keep forgetting to log in when I am on the site. My kiddos are almost 3 and almost 5, so plenty of time to adventure! Will be in touch! Thank you!

3 and 5 are the perfect age to start cruising in this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles