SOLD -Basecamp F550- Custom Expedition Overland Camper- Lots of Pics

honda50r

That is an INSANELY good price for that rig!

I build full custom vintage Airstream trailers for a living, and the value in this build is off the charts!
Yes there must be more to this. I'm trying very hard to imagine a legitimate reason this has not sold

walkerwheels

Awesome build! I am looking at building something similar and want to know if i can get the contact info of who built the camper?

XPLR X4

I saw this at the Mt. Hood(Oregon) Adventure Van Expo. Who on here bought it??
mk216v - I bought it last spring and have finally started some of the upgrades and modifications to make it a 4 season rig to carry my family of 4 around the Western US. I'll likely start a new build thread once I get further along and caught up on my "to do" list. I saw your build thread on your F350 - looks like a really solid plan and was very similar to what I was considering (in a crewcab) before this thing fell into my lap.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
mk216v - I bought it last spring and have finally started some of the upgrades and modifications to make it a 4 season rig to carry my family of 4 around the Western US. I'll likely start a new build thread once I get further along and caught up on my "to do" list. I saw your build thread on your F350 - looks like a really solid plan and was very similar to what I was considering (in a crewcab) before this thing fell into my lap.

Hi XPLR X4,
Thanks for your reply! Congrats on this beast!
Tell us what upgrades/mods you're making to enable it to 4season.

Thx on my build thread.
Are you in Central Oregon as Dave/Pax2525 thought? If so, I'd love to meet up!

XPLR X4

Hi XPLR X4,
Thanks for your reply! Congrats on this beast!
Tell us what upgrades/mods you're making to enable it to 4season.

Thx on my build thread.
Are you in Central Oregon as Dave/Pax2525 thought? If so, I'd love to meet up!
mk216v,
Yes, we're in Bend OR. Happy to meet up and talk rigs sometime if you're in the area.

And because we're in Bend where our typical daily temp swing can be 40 degrees from high to low, we can experience below freezing overnight lows from September to May (or even early June some years) so four season prep is really a minimum requirement even for spring and fall use. The truck was originally built to live in SoCal and make trips south with motos, bikes and boards and even though well insulated, the propane heater that was installed was for brief use since it required a window or door open to function / prevent co build up. This worked for running it for a few minutes in the AM to take the chill out of the air, but wasn't an option for cold weather camping. We're in the process of installing an Espar D2 unit and just dropped and plumbed an auxiliary fuel tap into the fuel tank, and will start the heater install later this week. I ran this heater set up in my old Sprinter van and never had any issues. And it keep the van ridiculously warm for how little diesel it used. The second issue we're addressing is moving all of the water plumbing into the inside of the cabin - it currently runs outside / under the floor where freezing is an issue. By moving it inside and combining it with the auxiliary heater set to 45 degrees we can keep the water system active in the shoulder seasons between trips. The freshwater tanks will still be on the underside of the truck so I'm working on integrating a smaller interior water tank to allow use of the sink and maybe a quick shower or two during winter use. We'd add bypass valves so that the main tanks and exterior shower system could remain empty over the winter. I may even go with a removable 5 gallon tank to make it super easy.

I've also started work on redoing the electrical system to eliminate the external generator and add a lot more capacity to allow longer off-grid use, but that's a longer story that I'll cover in the future build thread.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
mk216v,
Yes, we're in Bend OR. Happy to meet up and talk rigs sometime if you're in the area.

And because we're in Bend where our typical daily temp swing can be 40 degrees from high to low, we can experience below freezing overnight lows from September to May (or even early June some years) so four season prep is really a minimum requirement even for spring and fall use. The truck was originally built to live in SoCal and make trips south with motos, bikes and boards and even though well insulated, the propane heater that was installed was for brief use since it required a window or door open to function / prevent co build up. This worked for running it for a few minutes in the AM to take the chill out of the air, but wasn't an option for cold weather camping. We're in the process of installing an Espar D2 unit and just dropped and plumbed an auxiliary fuel tap into the fuel tank, and will start the heater install later this week. I ran this heater set up in my old Sprinter van and never had any issues. And it keep the van ridiculously warm for how little diesel it used. The second issue we're addressing is moving all of the water plumbing into the inside of the cabin - it currently runs outside / under the floor where freezing is an issue. By moving it inside and combining it with the auxiliary heater set to 45 degrees we can keep the water system active in the shoulder seasons between trips. The freshwater tanks will still be on the underside of the truck so I'm working on integrating a smaller interior water tank to allow use of the sink and maybe a quick shower or two during winter use. We'd add bypass valves so that the main tanks and exterior shower system could remain empty over the winter. I may even go with a removable 5 gallon tank to make it super easy.

I've also started work on redoing the electrical system to eliminate the external generator and add a lot more capacity to allow longer off-grid use, but that's a longer story that I'll cover in the future build thread.

XPLR X4, PM recv'd, thx!
D2 install, excellent choice!
Good work on 4season'ing it. What about a small heating element placed into the exterior freshwater tanks, so that they don't freeze?

Looking forward to hearing more. Please post a new build thread link here when you get to it, thx!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles