SOLD: 2015 4Runner Trail Premium – Apollo From XO – Complete Overland Build - $37k

2015 4Runner Trail Premium 79k miles (will go up) – Front & Rear Lockers, re-geared to 4.56, 295/70/17 tires, full kitchen, custom Alpine Halo control center. Highly and expertly modified. This may be the most turnkey 4Runner currently available. Huntsville, Alabama

$39,000
$38,500

$38,000
$37,000

Click Here for lots of photos on Dropbox!:)
Video of the Underside
Exterior Video
Interior without all the accessories

Interior with all of the Accessories installed

Hey everyone - you might recognize this 4Runner as Apollo from Expedition Overland, although it's been updated a bit since she was on the show. Front lockers, re-gearing, larger tires, new wheels, latest tech, new powder coating, refurbished and improved. See below for all of the details.

In the last year, Apollo has been re-geared to 4.56 and now has both front (Harrop) and rear e-lockers, and the electronics have been updated to incorporate the latest tech including a 9-inch front Alpine command center that can control all of the lights (or they can still be controlled via the S-Pod switches) with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. A ton of comfort features have been added as well. I'm not in a huge hurry to get rid of it, but I'm being pulled by some other new hobbies that are going to require a lot of my time.

I am the third owner of this amazing truck. I purchased it here on Expedition Portal in January of 2019 with 53xxx miles. There are now 79xxx on the odometer, and that will continue to rise slightly. This truck is 100% solid – it runs fantastically. It has only been worked by top tier folks – Toyota dealerships, Expedition Overland, Equipt, OK4WD, East Coast Gear Supply, Rago Fabrication, CBI, etc.

This is a TURNKEY TRUCK - everything from recovery gear, to a MyMedic MyFAK First Aid Kit, to the iPad, to axe and shovel, to the best water jerry can money can buy is included.

Just a note: I travel solo most of time, so I needed to make sure this truck would NOT let me down. I had it looked over by a few experts from tip to toe when I first got it and made sure everything was working 100% before taking off on my adventures. It had to be as bulletproof as possible. I've re-powder coated everything, updated the electronics to allow multiple forms of navigation, I've added additional screens and a computer mount to be able to keep an eye on weather, terrain, traffic, law enforcement, etc. and to have entertainment in the down time. I've added solar inputs and a portable solar panel, and updated the battery charging system to a DC-DC charger by REDARC. I have put a lot of time and energy into this truck, and I would love for someone to get it that will carry on the legacy of this noteworthy vehicle.

Serious inquiries, please contact me with any questions.

Upgrades in Next Post.

IMG_2441.png

IMG_2437.png

IMG_2423.png

IMG_2434.png

IMG_2432.png

IMG_2468.png

IMG_2395.png
IMG_2462.png

Attachments

• IMG_0897.png
    IMG_0897.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,078
  • IMG_2467.png
    IMG_2467.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 354
Last edited:
(continued from previous post)

Upgrades Prior to Purchase

Overlanding & Travel
  • K9 2.2 meter roof rack ($1325)
  • ARB twin air compressor ($517)
  • ARB safari snorkel ($530)
  • Goose Gear Plate System ($400)
  • Goose Gear Camp Kitchen ($1700)
  • Goose Gear 60% sleeping platform ($400)
  • Goose Gear 12 inch tall 36 inch deep single drawer ($1200)
  • National Luna 55L weekender twin fridge ($1700)
  • Cook Partner Double Burner Stove ($265)
  • GoPower 1000 watt inverter with 2 outlets ($345)
Suspension & Drivetrain
  • Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 7 Suspension System (billet aluminum)
  • Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Front Coiler Shock Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($1850)
  • 2.5 series RR Rear Shocks w/CDCV (0-3 inch lift) by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($1300)
  • Billet Rear Upper Link Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($450)
  • Billet Rear Lower Link Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($785)
  • Billet Upper Control Arm Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($1315)
  • Cooper STT pros 295/70/17 x 5 ($1350)
  • ARB Differential Axle Breather ($55)
  • Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Rear Springs ($165)
Armor
  • CBI Rear Bumper w/Dual Swing-Out, 2 Jerry Cans, Light Mount, Hi Lift Mount, Shelf, and Spare Tire ($3000)
  • RCI Complete Steel Skid Plates Package ($765)
  • Bushwacker Fender Flares ($500)
Lighting - All lighting is from RIGID Industries
  • 40" Combo Light Bar on Roof Rack ($1300)
  • 30” Combo Light Bar in Grille ($1000)
  • Rock Lights Under the Truck ($250)
  • Two Light Pods in the Rear Bumper ($210)
Recovery
  • Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S Winch w/undercover CBI Winch Mount ($2200)
  • 2 Pairs of MaxTrax - 4 total ($600)
  • Factor 55 Flatlink Winch Shackle ($100)
  • ARB EZ Deflator ($45)
Interior
  • SPOD 6 switch panel for all the lights/air compressor ($540)
  • Attic by Blue Ridge Overland Gear ($100)
  • Tinted windows

Additional Upgrades Within the Last Year Since Purchase

Mechanical - Work completed by East Coast Gear Supply and Fusion Works Fabrication
  • Harrop Front E-Locker installed bringing this 4Runner to 4-wheel locking diffs
  • Nitro Differential gears were used to re-gear to 4.56
  • Power Stop Brake Kit with red calipers (rotors, pads and calipers) ($720)
  • RAY 10 - Stealth Custom Series (SCS) wheels x 5 ($1250)
  • Borla S-Type Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System ($600)
  • Raybestos heavy-duty coated rotors x 4 ($250)

Electronics - All work completed by Speakerbox Car Audio, Huntsville, AL
  • Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309FRN w/9" screen – full console replacement with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto ($1500)
  • High Beams - GT HID Headlight Kit - 55w 5,000 Lumen, 6,000K ($300)
  • Low Beams - GT HID Headlight Kit - 55w 5,000 Lumen, 6,000K ($300)
  • Alpine XM radio antenna installed ($150)
  • Alpine External Accessory Control Module (for controlling aftermarket accessories from the Alpine touchscreen)($200)
  • Apple iPad for off road navigation, weather forecasts, etc. ($500)
  • Installed a remote rear hatch open, rear window up/down, and door lock/unlock (so all can be controlled without the key in the ignition while lying in bed). ($200)
  • Remote start from key fob. ($200)
  • Added rear camera and left factory rear camera (that was blocked by rear tire carrier) in place. ($150)

Electrical Systems Upgrades - All work completed by Speakerbox Car Audio, Huntsville, AL
  • REDARC 1225D DC-DC Charger ($380)
  • Folding portable 100w solar panel with 30' of cable (connects to the REDARC under the hood) ($350)
  • New AGM Battery ($200)
  • GeniusBoost GB40 portable jump pack that fits in the glove compartment and plugs into extra power outlet installed in glove compartment. ($100)

Overlanding & Travel - All Eezi-Awn mounting and accessory work was completed by Equipt Expedition Outfitters in Salt Lake City, UT
  • Eezi Awn 1000 Hard Case 2.5M Awning - Black with Gray Fabric ($600)
  • New Bushwacker Fender Flares w/Bed-liner Coating. ($500)
  • Added new RIGID Aimable LED Flood Light on the Rear Bumper that can be used with or without the ignition on. ($200)
  • Window rain vent covers so that windows can be cracked in the rain for ventilation while sleeping ($180)
  • WeatherTech Full Custom Sunshade kit for covering all windows to block out people when car camping (blackout on one side, reflective on the other – great for summer or winter) ($140)
  • Eezi-Awn K9 Axe Mount Set ($60)
  • Eezi Awn K9 Accessory Mount Set ($25)
  • Eezi-Awn K9 Shovel Mount ($75)
  • Eezi-Awn K9 MaxTrax Mounts ($60)
  • MaxTrax Mounting Pin Set ($50)
  • Window socks for 4 front windows (keep the windows rolled down without letting bugs in) ($30)
  • New 48 inch Hi Lift Jack ($80)
  • Fiskars Super Splitting Axe ($60)
  • Radius Ergonomic Stainless Steel Shovel – won’t rust! ($60)
  • Scepter 5 Gallon True Military Water Container – Literally the ONLY water jerry can that doesn’t leak. ($50)
  • New Wavian Red Jerry Cans x 2 ($80)
  • Wavian Flexible Metal Jerry Can Spout ($30)
  • 12' Cook Partner Hose for the Stove ($40)
  • 5lb propane tank ($40)
  • MyMedic MyFAK First Aid Kit ($120)

Device & Accessory Mounting - Mounting work completed by Speakerbox Car Audio, Huntsville, AL
  • RAM No-Drill Mount for 12" computer or large tablet. ($325)
  • Expedition Essentials T4RPAM Powered Accessory Mount for RAM mounts ($127)
  • Expedition Essentials Wiring cover for accessory mount ($18)
  • Expedition Essentials CB mic mount ($13)
  • RAM Diamond plate ball mounts ($20)
  • RAM iPad EZ Roll Cradle ($20)
  • RAM Spline for Garmin InReach ($13)
  • RAM X-Grip Mount ($26)

Interior & Storage
  • Lock'er Down EXxtreme Console Safe® installed in Armrest – perfect for personal valuables or firearms ($330)
  • Custom mattress from North America Mattress Co. (super comfortable) ($280)
  • Rago Modular Storage Panel System for Passenger Side Rear Window ($260)
  • HUSKY Weatherbeater Liners for front and rear ($140)
  • Manduka X non-slip mat for underneath mattress – keeps mattress from sliding around on Goose Gear platform – doubles as a yoga mat ($60)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE Seat Back Panel – 14" x 20" ($64)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE Visor Organizer ($28)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Velcro Visor Organizer ($30)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Tool Bag ($130)
  • Headrest MOLLE organizers ($20)
  • Glove compartment organizer ($15)

Recovery
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Large Recovery Bag ($60)
  • Bubba Rope 30' recovery rope ($100)
  • Bubba Rope GatorJaw Soft Shackle (32,000LB Breaking Strength) x 2 ($85)
  • Bubba Rope 8' Tree Saver Strap ($40)
  • GearAmerica Mega Duty D Ring Shackles x 4 ($90)

Air Tools
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Off Road Air Tools Bag ($80)
  • New ARB Air Hose ($30)
  • ARB Complete Tire Repair Kit ($42)
  • J.T. Brooks PRO Automatic Tire Deflators – set of 4 ($100)

Additional Items & Refurbishing
  • Removed front bumper, and cleaned and inspected WARN Winch and components ($200)
  • Icon Stage 7 Suspension refurbishment (went through and replaced any worn parts) ($400)
  • Added high-end limo tint to all rear windows so that no one can see in while sleeping in a Cabela’s parking lot ($300)
  • Disassembled, sandblasted and red texture powder coated all Armor ($250)
  • Disassembled, sandblasted and black texture powder coated all rear bumper parts ($550)
  • Replaced all hardware (bolts, washers, knobs, bumper plates) on Armor and Rear Bumper during reassembly ($200)
  • Complete interior, undercarriage, and engine detail, as well as multi-stage polish and wax by Hornbuckle Auto Detailing, Huntsville, AL ($1400)
Let me know if you have additional questions - please PM me and I will answer as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
(continued from previous post)

Upgrades Prior to Purchase

Overlanding & Travel
  • K9 2.2 meter roof rack ($1325)
  • ARB twin air compressor ($517)
  • ARB safari snorkel ($530)
  • Goose Gear Plate System ($400)
  • Goose Gear Camp Kitchen ($1700)
  • Goose Gear 60% sleeping platform ($400)
  • Goose Gear 12 inch tall 36 inch deep single drawer ($1200)
  • National Luna 55L weekender twin fridge ($1700)
  • Cook Partner Double Burner Stove ($265)
  • GoPower 1000 watt inverter with 2 outlets ($345)
Suspension & Drivetrain
  • Cooper STT pros 295/70/17 x 5 ($1350)
  • Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 7 Suspension System (billet aluminum)
  • Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Front Coiler Shock Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($1850)
  • 2.5 series RR Rear Shocks w/CDCV (0-3 inch lift) by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($1300)
  • Billet Rear Upper Link Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($450)
  • Billet Rear Lower Link Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($785)
  • Billet Upper Control Arm Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics ($1315)
  • ARB Differential Axle Breather ($55)
  • Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Rear Springs ($165)
Armor
  • CBI Rear Bumper w/Dual Swing-Out, 2 Jerry Cans, Light Mount, Hi Lift Mount, Shelf, and Spare Tire ($3000)
  • RCI Complete Steel Skid Plates Package ($765)
  • Bushwacker Fender Flares ($500)
Lighting - All lighting is from RIGID Industries
  • 40" Combo Light Bar on Roof Rack ($1300)
  • 30” Combo Light Bar in Grille ($1000)
  • Rock Lights Under the Truck ($250)
  • Two Light Pods in the Rear Bumper ($210)
Recovery
  • 2 Pairs of MaxTrax - 4 total ($600)
  • Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S Winch w/undercover CBI Winch Mount ($2200)
  • Factor 55 Flatlink Winch Shackle ($100)
  • ARB EZ Deflator ($45)
Interior
  • SPOD 6 switch panel for all the lights/air compressor ($540)
  • Attic by Blue Ridge Overland Gear ($100)
  • Tinted windows

Additional Upgrades Within the Last Year Since Purchase

Overlanding & Travel - All Eezi-Awn mounting and accessory work was completed by Equipt Expedition Outfitters in Salt Lake City, UT
  • Eezi Awn 1000 Hard Case 2.5M Awning - Black with Gray Fabric ($600)
  • New Bushwacker Fender Flares w/Bed-liner Coating. ($500)
  • Added new RIGID Aimable LED Flood Light on the Rear Bumper that can be used with or without the ignition on. ($200)
  • Eezi-Awn K9 Axe Mount Set ($60)
  • Eezi Awn K9 Accessory Mount Set ($25)
  • Eezi-Awn K9 Shovel Mount ($75)
  • Eezi-Awn K9 MaxTrax Mounts ($60)
  • MaxTrax Mounting Pin Set ($50)
  • Window vents so that windows can be cracked in the rain for ventilation while sleeping ($180)
  • WeatherTech Full Custom Sunshade kit for covering all windows to block out people when car camping (blackout on one side, reflective on the other – great for summer or winter) ($140)
  • Window socks for 4 front windows (keep the windows rolled down without letting bugs in) ($30)
  • New 48 inch Hi Lift Jack ($80)
  • Fiskars Super Splitting Axe ($60)
  • Radius Ergonomic Stainless Steel Shovel – won’t rust! ($60)
  • Scepter 5 Gallon True Military Water Container – Literally the ONLY water jerry can that doesn’t leak. ($50)
  • New Wavian Red Jerry Cans x 2 ($80)
  • Wavian Flexible Metal Jerry Can Spout ($30)
  • 12' Cook Partner Hose for the Stove ($40)
  • 5lb propane tank ($40)
  • MyMedic MyFAK First Aid Kit ($120)

Mechanical - Work completed by East Coast Gear Supply and Fusion Works Fabrication
  • Harrop Front E-Locker installed bringing this 4Runner to 4-wheel locking diffs
  • Nitro Differentials were used to re-gear to 4.56
  • Power Stop Brake Kit with red calipers (rotors, pads and calipers) ($720)
  • Raybestos heavy-duty coated rotors (great for minimizing rotor rust!) x 4 ($250)
  • Borla S-Type Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System ($600)
  • RAY 10 - Stealth Custom Series (SCS) wheels x 5 ($1250)

Electronics - All work completed by Speakerbox Car Audio, Huntsville, AL
  • High Beams - GT HID Headlight Kit - 55w 5,000 Lumen, 6,000K ($300)
  • Low Beams - GT HID Headlight Kit - 55w 5,000 Lumen, 6,000K ($300)
  • Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309FRN w/9" screen – full console replacement with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto ($1500)
  • Alpine XM radio antenna installed ($150)
  • Alpine External Accessory Control Module (for controlling aftermarket accessories from the Alpine touchscreen)($200)
  • Apple iPad for off road navigation, weather forecasts, etc. ($500)
  • Installed rear hatch open, rear window up/down, and door lock/unlock (so all can be controlled without the key in the ignition from the bed). ($200)
  • Remote start from key fob. ($200)
  • Added rear camera and left factory rear camera (that was blocked by rear tire carrier) in place. ($150)
Electrical Systems Upgrades - All work completed by Speakerbox Car Audio, Huntsville, AL
  • REDARC 1225D DC-DC Charger ($380)
  • Folding portable 100w solar panel with 30' of cable (connects to the REDARC under the hood) ($350)
  • New AGM Battery ($200)
  • GeniusBoost GB40 portable jump pack that fits in the glove compartment and plugs into extra power outlet installed in glove compartment.

Device & Accessory Mounting - Mounting work completed by Speakerbox Car Audio, Huntsville, AL
  • Expedition Essentials T4RPAM Powered Accessory Mount for RAM mounts ($127)
  • Expedition Essentials Wiring cover for accessory mount ($18)
  • Expedition Essentials CB mic mount ($13)
  • RAM Diamond plate ball mounts ($20)
  • RAM No-Drill Mount for 12" computer or large tablet. ($325)
  • RAM iPad EZ Roll Cradle ($20)
  • RAM Spline for Garmin InReach ($13)
  • RAM X-Grip Mount ($26)

Interior & Storage
  • Lock'er Down EXxtreme Console Safe installed in Armrest – perfect for personal valuables or firearms ($330)
  • Custom mattress from North America Mattress Co. (super comfortable) ($280)
  • Manduka X non-slip mat for underneath mattress – keeps mattress from sliding around on Goose Gear platform – doubles as a yoga mat ($60)
  • HUSKY Weatherbeater Liners for front and rear ($140)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE Seat Back Panel – 14" x 20" ($64)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE Visor Organizer ($28)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Velcro Visor Organizer ($30)
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Tool Bag ($130)
  • Headrest MOLLE organizers ($20)
  • Glove compartment organizer ($15)

Recovery
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Large Recovery Bag ($60)
  • Bubba Rope 30' recovery rope ($100)
  • 8' Tree Saver Strap ($20)
  • Bubba Rope GatorJaw Soft Shackle (32,000LB Breaking Strength) x 2 ($85)
  • GearAmerica Mega Duty D Ring Shackles x 4 ($90)

Air Tools
  • Blue Ridge Overland Gear Off Road Air Tools Bag ($80)
  • New ARB Air Hose ($30)
  • ARB Complete Tire Repair Kit ($42)
  • J.T. Brooks PRO Automatic Tire Deflators – set of 4 ($100)

Additional Items & Refurbishing
  • Removed front bumper, and cleaned and inspected WARN Winch and components
  • Icon Stage 7 Suspension refurbishment (went through and replaced any worn parts) ($400)
  • Added high-end limo tint to all rear windows so that no one can see in while sleeping in a Cabela’s parking lot ($300)
  • Disassembled, sandblasted and red texture powder coated all Armor ($250)
  • Disassembled, sandblasted and black texture powder coated all rear bumper parts ($550)
  • Replaced all hardware (bolts, washers, knobs, bumper plates) on Armor and Rear Bumper during reassembly ($200)
  • Complete interior, undercarriage, and engine detail, as well as multi-stage polish and wax by Hornbuckle Auto Detailing, Huntsville, AL ($1400)
Let me know if you have additional questions - please PM me and I will answer as quickly as possible.

$1400 detail job? I didn't think one could spend that much on a car wash.

GLWS. Nice rig.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Right?! Taking out the interior and put it back in, doing full paint correction is definitely not cheap. I was surprised the first time I had something actually detailed too... 25 hours worth of work on the paint later, I understood why. It was better than from the factory. I generally just go get the $200 job to get it “detailed”, but want this to be as good to go as it can be. Thanks for the compliment ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the question, TK! With the re-gearing and fully loaded up with armor, bumper and full tanks, it averages 14.1 mpg with the new set of 295/70/17s Ridge Grapplers. Not necessarily for someone looking for a high fuel efficiency vehicle. Putting smaller tires on would probably have a significant effect on increasing fuel efficiency.

Last edited:
This is an amazing build and seems the price is totally fair given all the work. Good luck on your sale. I am commenting to keep track of it, as inspiration for my own 4runner build!

Thanks! Sorry it's taking so long to get more photos up here - should be good inspiration for you once you see it all! I'm scheduled to get it back from the detailer Tuesday of this coming week.

northstar2018

Northstar
Incredible rig and thanks for taking the time to make the interior videos--always helpful to get some ideas. You are thoughtful and meticulous! Next owner will be a very lucky person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles