SOLD 2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Modified for Travel

kchristian

Adventurer
SOLD - I was glad to see that the new owner has plans to enjoy it just as much as we did.

3/14/14 Update
Well folks, this things really gotta go. I just got offered a job in Puerto Rico and I'll have a Jeep provided for me. Based on the lack of serious interest and a more pressing timeline, the price has been dropped $2,000. $5,000 obo.

267392_4278848083298_135847311_n.jpg

The basics:

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
Austin, TX
165,xxx miles
$5,000 OBO
No Trades, unless you have a boat, motorcycle or C172/182 in Puerto Rico that you're looking to get rid of.

I bought this 18 months ago from the original owner for a trip to Central America with my wife. Over the past 18 months and through 9 countries it has never let us down. I paid $6,500 for it. I think $7k is fair given the work that has gone into it. (I don't want to start adding things up... It'll depress me.) If I can't get at least that back, I'll just hang onto it. I'm not desperate to sell it, just trying to thin the herd a bit.

Condition:
Interior - Actually very good. The leather isn't cracked or torn, the dash and center console aren't cracked or scratched up. Carpet is decent, no major stains or anything. It's better than you'd expect for the age and mileage. All power accessories work.
Exterior - It's a solid 10 footer but get up close and you'll start to notice things. No major dents but pretty much every panel has some small dents or scratches. The plastic running boards and some trim pieces have been removed. I have those in storage in Utah. I'm in Texas but I can arrange for those to be picked up if you wanted. One side marker light is missing.
Running Gear - Runs great. It's never let me down. Leaks a very small amount of oil. Maybe half a quart between oil changes. Tires are retreads from treadwright. They have been great tires but they are hard to balance so you get some steering wheel wobble. It didn't bother me enough to upgrade when I replaced the rears. Fronts are at 70%, Rears are almost new.

Maintenance and Repairs done within the last 18 months:

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Transmission fluid change
Coolant system flush
New rear control arms (upper and lower)
New front-passenger wheel pack
Oil changes every 3-5k miles

Modifications:

OME Heavy Duty 1.5" lift with new shocks/struts
Custom Brush Guard
Custom Sliders
Custom Roof Rack
Procomp 7069 Aluminum Wheels (I have the original wheels with some BFG Rugged Trail tires mounted. They are in Utah, and available for pickup.)
Treadwright Warden 265/75 Tires
Dual Battery with the Battery in the Rear 3rd row storage compartment
Full sleeping platform from the front seats back with built in safe (Currently the platform is still installed, but I have both rear benches in my garage.)
All interior lights (dome, reading, puddle, etc) have been swapped out with Warm White LED's for brightness as well as power consumption. I also have a red LED that fits the drivers map light. It's the little things...

Current Issues

-The cargo door opens only if it feels like it. About 50% of the time, it won't open. It's a PITA but I never think about it unless I'm at Home Depot and it decides it's not going to open. When it happens my routine is as follows: I swear, grumble as I load things through the rear passenger doors and then I immediately forget about it until it happens again. I saw a write up on it once and it didn't look to difficult to take the panel off and lube up whatever is sticking.
-ABS pump is failing. It makes a squeaking noise. The brakes still function as they should. A new ABS pump is stupid expensive from the dealer, but they can be had for $100-200 from a pick-n-pull. I just haven't had time to go find one.
-The sliders and roof rack need to be sanded down and repainted. We used the hammered finish rattle can stuff and it held up well for about a year but it's starting to chip now.
-One fog light and one of the extra brake lights (the thing has 5 brake lights) is out. It's not a bulb. Some wiring issue i guess.
-One spot of rust above the rear bumper. I couldn't get a picture cause the %&*# cargo door won't open.
-Some wobble in the steering wheel. Could be the tires or another issue. Keep in mind, I drove it 15,000 miles and through 9 countries like this so it's not too bad.