Solar Wiring Location?

GaryMc

Explorer
I finally got around to picking up a solar controller for the van and was wondering, once I get the panel installed, where y'all have drilled through from the panel into the body to run your wiring? Any place better than others?

Thanks for the help,

Gary

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
ha! I was just going to post this same question, but mine is slightly different:

So I've always kept my panel inside my vehicle because I like to park in shade and run out a 30' cable to the sun. It's not cumbersome, but my only concern is a good storage solution for the panel. Does anyone else keep their panel "portable" or do you hard mount it to the roof? I'm thinking that strapping it to the wall might be a good idea since the van has the space now...mostly looking to avoid needing a roof rack.

THEN - either way, where did you mount your house battery? In the factory box under the van? Where did you put your charge controller? blah blah blah.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I had panels on my Westie. mounted them to the pop top and went through the top where the wires came out of the panels, then ran them down inside the tubes for the top on the drivers side. Charge controller was inside the kitchen cabinet, battery was under the drivers seat in the factory box. I mounted the inverter on the side of the cabinet behind the drivers seat.

If you want to keep your panel inside the van on your Ford when you're on the move, how about a mount inside the rear doors, suspending it from the roof?
Easy to access, out of the way and protected under way...

John

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Putting the charge controller under the driver's seat might be a good option! I hadn't thought of that. Protected on 4 sides and I could place the aux battery directly below in a stock box on the framerail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles