Solar Update Ecoworthy MPPT + 48V panels

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As an FYI, it looks like the cheapo EcoWorthy MPPT charge controller can handle my 48V solar setup.

I had my doubts, but a few trips now, and months of use, and everything seems to be good to go.

Figured somebody else could benefit from this info.

The ecoworthy charge controller is just $100. Quite the savings over the namebrand units, so long as it holds up.

A run-down of the system as follows:

1- Ecoworthy 20A MPPT charge controller
2- 100Watt 48V Renogy Polycrystalline panels
2- Interstate GC2-XHD-S 6V batteries
All runs made with 10G photovoltaic cable
All connections using MC4 connectors

And a few pics:

chassis287.jpg

came with 14G. Gutted and rewired with 10G
chassis291.jpg

Custom tilt mounts fabbed and fitted
chassis292.jpg

Panel wiring
chassis295.jpg

Penetration thru roof
chassis297.jpg

Panels installed
chassis303.jpg

And the result, in full sun.

chassis306.jpg

Sill, I think Id like to install one or two more panels.

Cannot have enough solar, right??:sombrero:

Happy trails....

chassis308.jpg

BSK

Nice looking set up! Are those liquid tight connectors in the roof penetration stainless? I like the look of those, where do they come from? I just installed a Renogy 100w panel on my van and am loving it.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I like the camper and your solar setup. Nice job on the installation but I don't think it was really necessary to change out the #14AWG cables from the solar modules to #10AWG wire since the current is so low (~3 amps) with the panels putting out 36V nominal - just mentioning that to save others the effort.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The stainless cable glands were sourced from Ebay.

This one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-Cable-...-a-5-8-Hole-/301278388439?hash=item46259760d7

While the 10G upgrade wasnt required, Im all for upgrades that have no drawbacks.

The cost difference of the cable was very small, and I have a lot of it. I used just about 50' total.

The wire calculator I used showed a difference of more than a half volt (+.5V) between 14G and 10G
Overall ire resistance at that distance using 14G is also double that of 10G

It also allows for substantial upgrades down the road if needed.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'm trying an off brand controller also since my morningstar took a dump. I've heard good things about Renogy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior