Solar set up Battary?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I just received my Renogy solar charge system and am looking to set it up this weekend. I'm looking through the instruction and it notes that I should use a Deep cycle battery. I have just been planning to use this to top off my start battery witch also runs my ARB Fridge. If I tie this into a non Deep Cycle battery will it hurt the battery or be dangerous? Their are not a lot of Deep Cycle options for a Land Rover LR3 and I have not wanted to run a duel battery set up.
IMG_1579.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I can't imagine it would make a difference. As long as the controller has the dip switches set for the correct TYPE of battery (FLA, AGM or LiFePo) it should be fine (I'm assuming your LR has an AGM, I think most modern vehicles come from the dealer with AGM batteries.)

Probably Renogy is recommending a deep cycle because that would give you the best overall battery longevity if it was a stand-alone system (i.e, if the battery was only used to power 12v appliances and not used as a starter battery) since deep-cycle batteries are designed to be repeatedly discharged and then recharged. In your system, I can't see that it would make much of a difference unless you were going to be shutting your vehicle off for an extended period of time and ONLY charging it with the solar panel.

john61ct

Adventurer
Using a battery other than true Deep Cycling type

just means it wears out needs replacing more quickly

costs more per year that way if used frequently.

There are true deep cycling units that are cheap per Ah.

And also small ones, but if you need the high Ah then you need to make room, or buy pricey LFP.

Not having a House bank separate from Starter is a completely different topic.

Getting stranded out in whoop-whoop is the danger there. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz