Solar panel on the hood of a JK?

wandererr

Adventurer
Something just occured to me: while I don't like the idea of a solar panel on the roof too much: cargo rack and the like take up the room, plus I want to park the can in the shade as much as possible, I started thinking about putting a solar panel on the hood. Anyone did that? I did a brief search and found some crazy expensive ones with cutouts to fit the hood just right.... But what about one of those flex 50W-100W panels - something might fit? Would that make sense? Or is there an issue with the panel being cooked by the engine?

scrubber3

Not really here
I wouldn't simply from the heat of the engine. And the hood isn't stationary. But, there may be a work around. You'll just have to find it. Heat reflective products, wire protective materials, etc...

Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
I wouldn't simply from the heat of the engine. And the hood isn't stationary. But, there may be a work around. You'll just have to find it. Heat reflective products, wire protective materials, etc...
That's what I'm worried about: heat. I could potentially insulate the underside of the hood below the panel but then what would that do to the ability to cool down engine bay? Not sure how much of it is cooled down with the hood acting as a radiator.

Regarding stationary: what do you mean??

I’ve considered but not tried because I’m worried about glare while driving.
Not sure how much of an issue that'd be as the panels don't seem to be more reflective then the actual hood itself.

that_dude

Cascadia4x4 makes a 100w panel for the standard JK hood for about $400. That’s not out of line for a 100w flexible panel.

wandererr

Adventurer
Cascadia4x4 makes a 100w panel for the standard JK hood for about $400. That’s not out of line for a 100w flexible panel.
Saw that as well... Seeing that I can pickup a 100W panel for under $200, the cascade one while tempting is a wee bit expensive ;)

What makes me wonder is that noone else makes one that fits. I kinda figure that of this works the would have been a bigger market for them?

smbisig

Adventurer
I have one of the Cascadia 4x4 units on my EcoDiesel Gladiator. These engines run hot and I have not problem with the heat. They have a thermal cutoff I think for super high temps. Plus, solar power is great when you are parked, your engine shouldn't be producing heat when you are parked :)

dukabor

I have one of the Cascadia 4x4 units on my EcoDiesel Gladiator. These engines run hot and I have not problem with the heat. They have a thermal cutoff I think for super high temps. Plus, solar power is great when you are parked, your engine shouldn't be producing heat when you are parked :)

How has it been for you so far?

I've been contemplating myself, but with a dual battery system I have been on the fence on it....

athenscj5

I've got both the Cascadia 100w hood VSS and the Genesis Dual battery system. Just did a 10 day trip through western Colorado and Southern Utah with my family. No issues with heat and never a worry about my battery being drained. It's a little pricey but once it is installed, it's there and doing its thing. Worth it for me.

Last edited:

billiebob

Something just occured to me: while I don't like the idea of a solar panel on the roof too much: cargo rack and the like take up the room, plus I want to park the can in the shade as much as possible, I started thinking about putting a solar panel on the hood. Anyone did that? I did a brief search and found some crazy expensive ones with cutouts to fit the hood just right.... But what about one of those flex 50W-100W panels - something might fit? Would that make sense? Or is there an issue with the panel being cooked by the engine?
But where would you mount the highlift ???

Sorry, could not resist.
All good, I've never heard of heat affecting a solar panel. I'd consider some backing since I'm not sure there are any solar panels which conform to complex curves. If they are out there, yeah have at 'er. Or, i'd cut the hood to fit a flat panel.

EDIT...
oh wow, there it is..... read first, then post.
fabulous system.

$570 for a plug and play system is hardly expensive !!
I'm a TJR guy, the TJ system could define my next build.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Just put the controller on the bumper so it does not overheat. If the controller is under the hood it will overheat. That is what I did with my Land Cruiser and now the controller is good to go.

greg.potter

Adventurer
My experience is that when you are in a hot climate everything over-heats under hood of a JK - even before you do anything stupid!

I am pretty sure the hood is where the heat reduction vents go .............. no room for solar panels there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles