Solar generator

Photobug

Firstly, Quit calling it a solar generator. Here at ’ExPo wont find a friendly audience for that term.

As far as suggested wattage, You need to know what your wattage needs are and share that info.

As Verkstad suggested, most are not buying a premade "solar generator."Most are building their own.

The premade are generally a compromise of components. If your wallet is fat and your needs are minimal a pre built system might meet your needs.

Charles R

Adventurer
I was going to build a system, but then Costco had a sale a while back on the Yeti 1000. Since then the Yeti with a 100w Renogy panel has covered all my needs.

I am a fairly low energy use user though. My main use runs a Dometic 28L fridge 24/7. On average, the Yeti rarely drops below 97%. The recent fires here in CA had enough smoke in the sky long enough to drop it down to the 40% range. (About a month of 20-25w solar input) I've run an 1100w vacuum cleaner on occasion, and charged my laptop an tablet often. The Vac can drop it to the 60% range fairly quick, and it'll take 2-3 days to fully reach 98-100%.

Overall, while a little pricey, the system is dirt simple and extremely functional. Heck, I still have the ability to additionally connect the Yeti to vehicle +12v for a faster recharge rate... should I ever feel that's necessary.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
DIY, 4S40P 18650 pack (120 Ah about 1800 watt/h) and 100W solar panel. No AC inverter, I only use DC in my truck(s). Fridge (Edgstar FP430), interior led lights, phone & tablet charging. I can go a solid 2 days without any solar.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
It is a battery pack that can be recharged with a solar panel. See how well it will work after a couple of rainy days. Many people are mislead by the name generator.

The generator is the solar panel, the battery is storage. Definitely need to plan for rain/snow/clouds as well as possible, including running the truck to recharge if needed.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wonder how many poor fools bought the solar generators that live in hurricane zones.
And quickly found out that it was pretty worthless after a day and there was no sun or not enough sun to charge it

Mfitz

More like than a day if trying to run their ’fridge and more like 6 days to fully charge when paired with its kit supplied wimpy PV module.
Said that, if manufacturers might substantially drop price of those things just think all the more they could sell to those not presently able to afford but still clueless...
I see this discussion a lot recently here on Expo, and while I agree these units may not be able to do what some hope them to in terms of power output and solar recharge, they do have a purpose if one understands their limitations. Yes you might be able to build a better performing unit for the same cost, but that requires a lot of research, knowledge, skills, and time. If you don't have one or more of these, you have a good chance of wasting your money and time. It is debatable how much money one could save building a unit in the 40-50AH size range, when you can buy one for around $400. No doubt modular units are more easily adapted and repaired, and if specced properly would outperform a Goal Zero, especially on recharge times. For somebody whose electrical needs over a 2-4 day period would be satisfied by a Goal Zero or a Jackery 500 unit, and who then have access to a home recharging plug- your typical weekend warrior- a prepackaged battery bank (I didn't call it a solar generator!) might check off a lot of boxes. The greater the need for electrical capacity, the more the calculus tilts in favor of a modular self-build. I agree the name "solar generator' is a misleading marketing term, and that those who don't understand what they can do and can't do will waste their money. For some, these are an easy, cost effective solution.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As Verkstad suggested, most are not buying a premade "solar generator."Most are building their own.

The premade are generally a compromise of components. If your wallet is fat and your needs are minimal a pre built system might meet your needs.
I built mine 9 years ago, just a battery in a 50cal ammo box bolted to my 4x6 trailer. 12ah little 12v battery it covers my lighting and small devices needs. I use no joke 2 10watt panels. Not everyone is trying to power a small house?

D

Deleted member 9101

Wonder how many poor fools bought the solar generators that live in hurricane zones.
And quickly found out that it was pretty worthless after a day and there was no sun or not enough sun to charge it

Yeah...the sun is usually out the day after the storm passes.

indycheez

Firstly, Quit calling it a solar generator. Here at ’ExPo wont find a friendly audience for that term.

As far as suggested wattage, You need to know what your wattage needs are and share that info.

I just asked a simple question to get some thoughts on what others might use. I'm not going to build anything, because I didn't build my truck or my camper. I bought them premade and plan to buy a pre made solar generator. Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology, but you knew what I was referring to, so you and others "Here at ExPo" ...********...SMH...have used that term as well. I know what wattage needs I have just wanting opinions if there are units that worked better for one reason or another. That's all. As far as the unfriendly audience here at ExPo, lighten the ******** up.

Mfitz

I just asked a simple question to get some thoughts on what others might use. I'm not going to build anything, because I didn't build my truck or my camper. I bought them premade and plan to buy a pre made solar generator. Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology, but you knew what I was referring to, so you and others "Here at ExPo" ...********...SMH...have used that term as well. I know what wattage needs I have just wanting opinions if there are units that worked better for one reason or another. That's all. As far as the unfriendly audience here at ExPo, lighten the ******** up.
I have a Jackery 500, but I haven't had the chance to use it very much. I plan to run a CPAP machine without heat or humidification, and preliminary tests in my house indicate I can get at least 5 nights's use before it runs down without being recharged. I will also plug in some LED lights (USB) which draw almost nothing, maybe a phone recharge or two if I am not driving daily. I have a few smaller battery packs I can grab for phone recharging as well. Overall, the Jackery will be fine for what I want it for, which doesn't involve any heavy draws like a fridge. I will plug it into my truck to recharge it when I am driving, but I don't expect much this way. I just didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of researching how to build my own and the Jackery seemed fine for my needs. I paid around $400 with a sale and promos, I believe. That is less $$ per WH than a Goal Zero, but the newer Goal Zeros charge a bit faster. Solar isn't really worth the cost for my usage.

plh

Explorer
How much power do you need?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

There are some of us who may, at times, struggle to fully understand some of the new, complex technologies that have become available for use in our outdoor travels. In fact, we may not know them well enough to even know how to best, most accurately frame our questions about the purpose or utility of these newer technologies. Asking other, more experienced members here for general info and help is a start and is a process that we should always encourage.

Unnecessarily hostile and snarky responses to honest pleas for assistance and advice don’t really fit the supportive philosophy of forum use we have subscribed to here (and yes, I’m looking at myself too as I reflect upon this).

I appreciate this posted inquiry as it deals with an attempt at clarifying a subject that many of us might find confusing.

Last edited:

SmoothLC

Explorer
Thanks for the question OP.
I'm in the same boat.
So far I've looked at Renogy, Goal Zero, and Jackery.
Heard good things about Rockpals too.
Recently, a friend of mine bought a Lion Energy kit from Costco w/ the battery and 3 panels.
Even though it was on sale it was still pretty pricey $$.

At present, my use case is certainly a compromise.
Capacity for some home use in case of an emergency plus off-road (so foldable panels).
From what I've read and understand (big question about that btw), somewhere in the 100 to 200 watt panels should suffice.
But like the original poster, very interested in any freedback on brand preference in terms of reliability/durability.
Plus, happy to be schooled by those of you who've BTDT.

At least looking on Amazon, it appears that some Rockpals units have a lot of reviews, followed by Jackery.
Both seem highly rated and the number of reviews "might" indicate some level of populartiy.
Best Buy appears to carry both Renogy and Goal Zero.
Not to hijack this thread, but am in the same boat as the OP and welcome feedback.
And any insight on Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles