Solar Generator/Solar panel efficiency

OllieChristopher

These portable solar Generators as well as solar panels are getting more and more capacity and efficient at an alarming rate.

Just a few years ago you would be hard pressed to get an affordable solar panel that put out anything more than 10-15% efficiency. Now you can get relatively cheap panels that are pushing 25% efficiency and climbing.

The solar generator market is also getting huge capacity and making the stand alone battery banks antiquated for those of us that want a functioning rig with the option of not having large amounts of permanent space taken up and messing with a bunch of wiring.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
That solar generator term still bugs me every time - seems to me a solar generator is nothing less than a hydrogen fusion reactor

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes the term "solar generator" is a scam used for a powerpack, battery + gadgets.

Learning how to asses your use case' needs and buying best of breed components will get you **much** better quality and value.

OllieChristopher

Solar panel (or the Sun perhaps) is the generator. The other item is a battery.
A gas generator uses petroleum as an energy source to keep an internal combustion engine operating in order to spin a turbine that converts motive power into electricity for use in an external circuit.

A solar generator uses the sun as an energy source to power a battery pack in order to (through a thermodynamic exchange) convert motive power power into electricity for use in an external circuit.

That solar generator term still bugs me every time
Yes the term "solar generator" is a scam used for a powerpack

The point of my topic is to simply to have a conversation on the big advances that solar generators and solar panels are advancing. If you choose to not refer to solar generators for what they are no big deal to me. How about we stay on topic and share your experiences with charge times of the solar generators and solar panel efficiency you are experiencing?

Bluetti is doing some amazing things with solar generator technology by getting the big amp hour portable units charging times down to just a few hours. and man you can't beat the price per amp hour!!

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have an awesome gas/petrol powered generator but my PLB-40's are game changers, And I have a heap of solar panels so they can generate as much power as I need when set up,

The thing with PLB type packs is they do away with the need for fancy wiring or duel battery setups and it is not locked in to the Vehicle much like portable compressors they are a go anywhere do anything Gizmo, But where they really come in to their own is their almost limitless possibilities and the only restrictions are the ones we create.

When they first came out I thought they were a load of **** but as the Tech grew they have become everything we hoped they would be. (y)

OllieChristopher

The thing with PLB type packs is they do away with the need for fancy wiring or duel battery setups and it is not locked in to the Vehicle

That's what I like about these units. Also they can be moved around to use in different situations.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
That's what I like about these units. Also they can be moved around to use in different situations.
Yep, These generator/Boxes are multi taskers much like a Hi-Lift Jack, Love em or Hate em they are problem solvers and when treated with respect, these solar generators have made longer trips possible and almost made power outages a thing of the past as well as saved us a fortune on Auto electricians bills and expensive chargers and other parts need for a fixed install, not to mention the huge weight saving to be had by using a single Solar Generator/Battery Box compared to a 2nd deep cycle battery as well as the Speed these lithium packs charge at and they come with all the important sockets and features.

Whats not to like.

plh

Explorer
oh yes, very useful. Run my fridge, charge my phone, light lights and power my electric blanket in the cold weather. Mine is a roll your own 100Ah LiFePO4, Renogy charge controller and 100W panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles