Solar Generator Build

vectorsc

Adventurer
I decided to do a pretty serious solar generator to run a mobile office. I wanted it to be portable instead of a built in, and waterproof if possible.

Key components:
Pelican 1440 case
Victron 75/15 charge controller
Victron Bluetooth Dongle
Victron 12/250 Inverter
Blue sea systems 4.8 amp charger
ARB dedicated fridge plug
Marine BMS shutoff for battery
Silicon and surplus wiring
Blue sea systems power center
Renogy 300w panel
Deka 31HR5000 battery
Gosolar mc4 cable entry
Rivnut setup
Battery strap camlock

It's not for the faint of heart - my son came upstairs and laughed at me and said "struggling old man?" I said piss off, it weighs more than you do. Sure enough, it is a 120.8 lb box.

Much weight could be saved with lithiums or a smaller 100ah battery. This one has 140ah.

ab627b9d72d179718e65fe9327fdb65f.jpg

77f13397134762110e9fc10f5b0a43e1.jpg

26a3cf134967167f4c4a2ef8207422a8.jpg

10cc6c8d8661c2f9bdcd7325464a9239.jpg

290b358809357a492d90b36d17a0dd97.jpg

9071f16efdc501e8b6be3e089b2a689b.jpg

5c87198f88dbdaa0732c23648618ec9e.jpg

c2ac04d7702bb2403324f90f4a53db8c.jpg

1406de7ac8cf2fa0ba6bf00cf06c0526.jpg

0480dc528cd15ac0eb76b3136bb40748.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Nice job!

Even with LFP, I would split things up, with robust interconnects to create a unified bank.

One central unit with the gadgets, then modular bare battery add-ons to increase capacity.

Light enough so that a fit but 110lb woman could help lug them aboard or to the glamping tent.

And maybe just me, but I **really** hate that marketing misuse of "generator". Portable power pack. . .

vectorsc

Adventurer
This deka is agm. If it were lfp it would keep it under 100lbs total.

Amazing!! Do you mind me asking what it cost to make? Also are you able to charge it by plugging it in a power outlet at home or even in a 12v cigarette lighter in the car?

Rubicon85

Observer
Very cool, love seeing some quality homemade alternatives to the Yeti's and such, especially in a Pelican case. May have to replicate this build one of these days... Hows it working out for you?
Alex

vectorsc

Adventurer
Good so far. The charger took a while to do its thing lol.

I will probably get the bigger victron charge controller later so I can run more off the old output and charge a bit harder during peak daylight.

Also, it weighs 120.8 lbs. so it's like throwing a teenager in the back of the truck

MtnBubba

Observer
Good so far. The charger took a while to do its thing lol.

I will probably get the bigger victron charge controller later so I can run more off the old output and charge a bit harder during peak daylight.

Also, it weighs 120.8 lbs. so it's like throwing a teenager in the back of the truck

What hold down strap did you use?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sechsy.
Costly.

Running a HAM radio or medical equipment too? Something that needs a $400 battery? Not faulting any of it, just curious why a vehicle-connected inverter wasn't sufficient?

/

batterybank100113.jpg

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Nice build! Really like your ideas. Thank you for sharing it. This winter I'm going to try and tackle something similar, but using a FrontRunner wolf pack box and LFP battery. Like the looks of that victron gear... going to have to do some more research on them.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I like it, very similar to something I would build. That being said, I think I would have splurged on a lithium battery in this case to keep the weight down.

vectorsc

Adventurer
There is a place here that sells these Dekas for $100. They do it because the get them from hospitals and a hospital can only run a battery for a year before swapping out. They usually have 0 cycles on them.

As for why my kids are off to the military (marines and army) and I'm going to give living this way a go for a few years.

So this setup runs my work rig (laptop, cellular amplifiers etc)

This is my battery tie down.

Erickson 53901 Battery Strap with Overcenter Buckle, 1" x 36" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C2AMZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Qo52W6PY8kgaf

Sechsy.
Costly.

Running a HAM radio or medical equipment too? Something that needs a $400 battery? Not faulting any of it, just curious why a vehicle-connected inverter wasn't sufficient?

/

batterybank100113.jpg

vectorsc

Adventurer
It ain't where I'm going it's where I'm at. Its a great neighborhood if you have a meth habit and don't like driving places to get your fix.

I'm only alive because I was about to clean a gun after a range trip and had an unloaded gun in my hand when someone with a machete kicked in my front door. The cops ran him down eventually and I found out someone who looked a lot like me got his sister pregnant and left town. Ever since then I have a guns at home policy that starts with phrases like "mandatory" and "loaded" and "on your person".

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a good deal on those batteries. I got mine in a similar situation, for the fuel and trouble of traveling to pick them up. Part of a large government facility UPS where they were only retained for 2yrs then disposed of. The facility manager got permission to hand them out, instead of incurring disposal costs. A real lucky deal. And an idea for folks interested in that sort of thing. Contacting large 'critical facility' managers and see if they are willing to cough them up. They're mandated to replace them often and the batteries have very little wear and tear and are typically kept in the best conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier