Solar + Gas Generator Charging?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Not at all.
Irrespective of the capacity of the charge source, the actual charge rate is determined by the voltage offered and the battery internal resistance. If the voltage is appropriate, no excess charge rate will occur.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

No not quite, The Charge Rate in Limited by the Upper and Lower limit Voltage and Amps that is preprogrammed in to the BMS after the Cap/Limit is reached the battery will not charge any faster than it is programmed to do,

All of My SoGens are setup by the factory to except the Volts/Amps that the Company programmed it to, I can go higher etc but once the Cap is reached they will not charge any faster.

And if you try to over Volt or over Amp they will just shut down.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
No not quite, The Charge Rate in Limited by the Upper and Lower limit Voltage and Amps that is preprogrammed in to the BMS after the Cap/Limit is reached the battery will not charge any faster than it is programmed to do,
No suggestion this is a Li question. I thought we were discussing LA, either wet or AGM?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
No suggestion this is a Li question. I thought we were discussing LA, either wet or AGM?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
It's the same with AGM's you can't blast them because of the BMS, My new vehicle came with an AGM as the starter battery and it does not matter if I use a 26A smart charger or a 15A one it just won't have it and when it gets real low the chargers will coarse charge it in 6 to 8 hours then they switch to an equalization mode and by time it's finished over 17 hours have past,, If I could ditch the AGM for a normal battery I would or even a Lithium,

I bought a New matching AGM as a replacement which was murder to remove and refit with Blood everywhere, Only to find out that there was not a fault in the first battery, It was the BMS that was telling lies and I chargered it again which took another 18 to 20 hours and its back fine again, And Why 2x Smart Chargers ?? Because I thought like the Old fashioned chargers Bigger was Better, Nope ?? I bought the 15A Charger and it takes for ever, So I bought the 26A Version and it still takes for ever,

You just can't Blast these batteries with a BMS built in, Be it Lithium or AGM. they just won't have it.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Why have a BMS in an AGM at all? Something else to fail.
Both my AGM starter and my AGM house can be charged direct from the alternator. The 14.4V output of the alternator is all the protection that is required. Many years that way.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Why have a BMS in an AGM at all? Something else to fail.
Both my AGM starter and my AGM house can be charged direct from the alternator. The 14.4V output of the alternator is all the protection that is required. Many years that way.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Because modern vehicles are fitted with smart alternators and the BMS in the AGM tells the Alternator what to put out to prevent over charging, Regardless of what "Was" for many years with modern vehicles require very stable voltage due to the amount of computers they have in them and all these extra computers require a lot more power that we are use to seeing in vehicles of old,

Also if an AGM gets too flat they won't except a charge because of the BMS so you have to hook the AGM in parallele to a normal Lead Acid battery and then start to charge them both as one, then the AGM will start to wake up and you can remove the Lead Acid battery from the Loop and charge the AGM as per normal.

SBSYNCRO

Sorry but I just had to post this, as the thread made me think of this picture I saw on Twitter the other day...

FcAiGvAaUAA6rIQ.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles