Solar + Gas Generator Charging?

oguruma

How feasible is it to supplement a solar charging setup with a generator?

I'd like to set up a rig that could get us through a week long+ during elk hunts. The problem is that clouds (Oregon coast) are certainly on the menu during that time of year.

What's involved with charging batteries with say, a small Honda gas generator that are also wired to solar panels/charge controller?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Assuming that you have a converter or inverter/charger (generally better option) then a portable genset is no different than a built in genset or shore power - in other words, a Honda or any other genset will work.

oguruma

Assuming that you have a converter or inverter/charger (generally better option) then a portable genset is no different than a built in genset or shore power - in other words, a Honda or any other genset will work.

Truth be told, I didn't even know an inveter/charger was a thing, lol.

So I can simply wire in an inverter/charger and that's all there is to it? Doesn't it have to pass through some kind of charge controller?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Look them up. An inverter/charger performs two functions:

-- Inverts 12v to make 110v, and
-- Takes 110v and charges 12v batteries.

Or 220v or 24v, etc.

67cj5

Man On a Mission

I'd like to set up a rig that could get us through a week long+ during elk hunts. The problem is that clouds (Oregon coast) are certainly on the menu during that time of year.

What's involved with charging batteries with say, a small Honda gas generator that are also wired to solar panels/charge controller?
The simple answer is yes,

I have a few SoGens but due to a lot of bad weather I also have a Generator so I can charge the SoGens using the wall adapter but in order to speed up the charging time of the SoGens I have also bought the Factory high powered Wall Charger which works about twice as fast as using the normal wall charger that came with the unit from the AC at home,

If you are charging a few deep cycle batteries then you will need a charge controller or you will over-volt the batteries which will kill them very fast,

Lithium Batteries or Lithium SoGens are best if you want to get as much power as you can in a day or in the few hours of sunlight where as Deep Cycle Batteries and AGM won't charge no where near as fast, Lithium SoGens are the way to go for people on the move because they have the charge controllers built In and have all the outlet sockets you need and they are 100% portable and saafe to use indoors or in a Vehicle or Tent,

Hope that helps,

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

For portable long term power requirements a small generator isn't just feasible it's necessary in most cases.

IMO, if you haven't begun building a battery bank, with inverter, charge controller, battery charger for shore power, wiring, switches, fuse blocks, (while attempting to obtain an electrical engineering degree on line) you might consider a power generator that is ready to go out of the box.

I use the Bluettii AC 200P,
Amazon.com : BLUETTI Portable Power Station AC200P, 2000Wh LiFePO4 Battery Backup w/ 6 2000W AC Outlets (4800W Peak), Solar Generator for Outdoor Camping, RV Travel, Home Use (Solar Panel Not Included) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This unit will run my 5000 btu A/C in my trailer, fridge, micro and electric kitchen appliances, but not all at the same time, but just about with 600 watts of panels plugged in to PG.

Being portable it's also a home back up if the power goes out.

If you try to piece meal components together to come close to the features and capability of this unit you'll spend more than its price, unless you build your own batteries.

This unit is a monster for camping, pumping in 600 watts from panels an apartment/dorm fridge will run non stop with the A/C for 10 hours in the heat of the day without a hiccup. All in, this set up will come in just under $2K with a few discounts that can be found.

If your needs are much less, say running a 12V fridge, computer, small power tools, an electric blanket and at times a small micro, check this out:

Amazon.com : BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB3A, 268Wh LiFePO4 Battery Backup w/ 2 600W (1200W Surge) AC Outlets, Recharge from 0-80% in 30 Min., Solar Generator for Outdoor Camping (Solar Panel Optional) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It's the fastest charging SG on the planet and has 2500 charge cycles at a budget price (use the discounts, it can be under $250.00!

I got this one form the motorcycle trailer/camper with 200 watt suitcase panels, all well under $500.00!
It's 600 watts with 1200 watts surge. Do not try to run an A/C off this unit. This does have pass through charging, to use a CPAC device for old guys (or other 120V uses.)

I'm sure some guy has a 5KW solar system on some monster vehicle, but even so, it still depends on weather conditions, so for any reliable power source you'll need a backup genset of some kind. 100% solar isn't that feasible for a vehicle, at least for most vehicles.

If your power needs can be met by the solar generators, then a genset can simply plug into the SG to charge the SG as needed. You can always run them alone as well. Couple years ago I got a Harbor Freight 2.5KW generator, it has been in my truck but it's never had gas put in the tank, never used it and it generates a dirty signal, but the SG won't care.

I'm probably going to get the Westinghouse clone of the little Honda, it's close enough to the Honda specs (a bit louder I believe) for a lot less money. If you go with gas look for one with the altitude carb adjustment for thinner air, if you ever expect to get high.

I'm going to plug that HOBOTECH guy on Youtube, he does some very good reviews on this stuff. :cool:

ourdoorlover

For portable long term power requirements a small generator isn't just feasible it's necessary in most cases.

IMO, if you haven't begun building a battery bank, with inverter, charge controller, battery charger for shore power, wiring, switches, fuse blocks, (while attempting to obtain an electrical engineering degree on line) you might consider a power generator that is ready to go out of the box.

I use the Bluettii AC 200P,
Amazon.com : BLUETTI Portable Power Station AC200P, 2000Wh LiFePO4 Battery Backup w/ 6 2000W AC Outlets (4800W Peak), Solar Generator for Outdoor Camping, RV Travel, Home Use (Solar Panel Not Included) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This unit will run my 5000 btu A/C in my trailer, fridge, micro and electric kitchen appliances, but not all at the same time, but just about with 600 watts of panels plugged in to PG.

Being portable it's also a home back up if the power goes out.

If you try to piece meal components together to come close to the features and capability of this unit you'll spend more than its price, unless you build your own batteries.

This unit is a monster for camping, pumping in 600 watts from panels an apartment/dorm fridge will run non stop with the A/C for 10 hours in the heat of the day without a hiccup. All in, this set up will come in just under $2K with a few discounts that can be found.

If your needs are much less, say running a 12V fridge, computer, small power tools, an electric blanket and at times a small micro, check this out:

Amazon.com : BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB3A, 268Wh LiFePO4 Battery Backup w/ 2 600W (1200W Surge) AC Outlets, Recharge from 0-80% in 30 Min., Solar Generator for Outdoor Camping (Solar Panel Optional) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It's the fastest charging SG on the planet and has 2500 charge cycles at a budget price (use the discounts, it can be under $250.00!

I got this one form the motorcycle trailer/camper with 200 watt suitcase panels, all well under $500.00!
It's 600 watts with 1200 watts surge. Do not try to run an A/C off this unit. This does have pass through charging, to use a CPAC device for old guys (or other 120V uses.)

I'm sure some guy has a 5KW solar system on some monster vehicle, but even so, it still depends on weather conditions, so for any reliable power source you'll need a backup genset of some kind. 100% solar isn't that feasible for a vehicle, at least for most vehicles.

If your power needs can be met by the solar generators, then a genset can simply plug into the SG to charge the SG as needed. You can always run them alone as well. Couple years ago I got a Harbor Freight 2.5KW generator, it has been in my truck but it's never had gas put in the tank, never used it and it generates a dirty signal, but the SG won't care.

I'm probably going to get the Westinghouse clone of the little Honda, it's close enough to the Honda specs (a bit louder I believe) for a lot less money. If you go with gas look for one with the altitude carb adjustment for thinner air, if you ever expect to get high.

I'm going to plug that HOBOTECH guy on Youtube, he does some very good reviews on this stuff. :cool:
My previous impression of Bluetti is that it charges quickly, but I recently found a product Infinity 1500 that can achieve a full charge in 2 hours, which is what I am most excited about, and can be used outdoors with a solar panel to solve the charging problem. I purchased four 200W portable solar panels to ensure that I save my charging time.

billiebob

I'm new to this but since completing my solar/battery/fridge..... my solar starts charging long before sunrise..... and overnight with just the cooler running, voltage drops less than 1 volt. It has been running a week, the cooler stays at 35F, the battery fluctuates 3V between charge and float but overnight the voltage drops less than 1V....

Clouds dusk dawn seem to make no difference. By noon the system is in float. I have 2, 160 watt solar panels a charge controller and a regular 12V battery from my old Jeep, it is 12 years old.

I have a 100amp Renogy deep cycle on order, I think I can add a 3000W Inverter and cook on an electric hot plate, boil water in a kettle, a microwave might be on the list....

Forget the genset, just build pure solar for what you need. Clouds seem to not have a big impact. My system starts charging before sunrise.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

The Bluetti 1200/600 charges from 0 to fully charged in 46 minutes, quickest in the industry, to date. Also, check the cycles, that's more important than a few minutes of charge time.

Last edited:

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I'm new to this but since completing my solar/battery/fridge..... my solar starts charging long before sunrise..... and overnight with just the cooler running, voltage drops less than 1 volt. It has been running a week, the cooler stays at 35F, the battery fluctuates 3V between charge and float but overnight the voltage drops less than 1V....

Clouds dusk dawn seem to make no difference. By noon the system is in float. I have 2, 160 watt solar panels a charge controller and a regular 12V battery from my old Jeep, it is 12 years old.

I have a 100amp Renogy deep cycle on order, I think I can add a 3000W Inverter and cook on an electric hot plate, boil water in a kettle, a microwave might be on the list....

Forget the genset, just build pure solar for what you need. Clouds seem to not have a big impact. My system starts charging before sunrise.

You will find out, in the field, that one standard 12V battery (led, or up to any Lipo4) won't cut the mustard. Your 3000 watt inverter is basically irrelevant, it can only convert what you have available. 320 watts may run the fridge for 12 hours, a hot pate for a couple minutes, but watts is watts, voltage is voltage and amps is amps, it's all simple math.

When you say your voltage drops, something is wrong, voltage should not drop, watts drop or amps but voltage should be (actually) 13.4 V until it dies out.

If you're serious about solar in the field, you'll need at least 600 watt panels, 1200 watts storage and a 1600 watt inverter to run a hot plate for a few minutes, or a microwave, or, Holly cow, an A/C for a couple hours, maybe!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The electrical system in our motorhome has been 600W of solar plus 400Ah of AGM batteries (and no noisy stinking generator) for some 18 years. The emergency charge system is the engine alternator. The 85A alternator can directly provide up to 70A charging, but it is unusual to need it.
The alternator and the solar will happily charge together. I have seen over 100A going into 400Ah of AGMs.
I recently increased the solar to 1,160W and we now get good charging even in poor conditions.

18 years ago, we paid $9 per watt for that 600W. Solar is now cheap. It is also silent and needs no fuel. My advise is to install as much as you can and then reassess.

EDIT: ps... we have a 1300W inverter that runs the bread maker, the electric jug, the electric blankets and all manner of other stuff. Cooking is propane, hot water and central heating is diesel. Fridge is 130L compressor and there is a separate compressor deep freeze.
The next build will be all electric and diesel. No propane. Cooking will be induction cook top and microwave. Fridge freezer will be 210L domestic 2 door.
Solar will be 1200 to 1500W, whatever I can fit. Batteries will be 400Ah of lithium.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

billiebob

When you say your voltage drops, something is wrong, voltage should not drop, watts drop or amps but voltage should be (actually) 13.4 V until it dies out.
this is very wrong.... park, engine off, lights on, stereo blasting, light a bonfire, have a few beers, watch the voltage gauge...... it'll drop at a steady rate until the starter will not start the car..... why else would a voltage gauge be on absolutely everything

billiebob

18 years ago, we paid $9 per watt for that 600W
WOW and yes, I had those old costs and old performance values in my mind while fighting the dilemna of where the truth lies..... I finally decided its a $1000 experiment just git 'er done..... so glad I did it. Technology today is light years ahead of just 10 years ago. I can't imagine where we might be in another 10 years.

Altho this comes to mind....

Bowlus-Volterra-6.jpg

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

this is very wrong.... park, engine off, lights on, stereo blasting, light a bonfire, have a few beers, watch the voltage gauge...... it'll drop at a steady rate until the starter will not start the car..... why else would a voltage gauge be on absolutely everything
OK, explain how a voltage meter works. How is voltage measured? I'm sorry, I'm a six pack behind you, LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles