Solar Charge Controller with 120 AC input for trickle charging

NudeLobster

Hey guys,

Back story: running a G31 Odyssey Extreme AGM single battery. I have a dometic CFX75 and I originally did math using average consumption of the dometic based off review testing and estimated roughly 45 hours before needing to start the truck to charge. The Arizona oven ensures the dometic pulls more than all those reviews tested. I daily the truck, sometimes two days between uses, but I don't think my commute keeps the battery fully charged, even with an AGM fuse booster on the alt. On trips and longer drives, I never have issue or worry.

I'm looking to run some solar for the day and AC 120 trickle at night. I really, really ,really don't like the idea of packaging two control units, one for solar and another for AC in. It just seems messy to me. I like the Noco Genius on board charger that I can run a socket on my front bumper to easily plug in without popping the hood or anything, and I like the Renogy Voyager solar charger for AGM... if only they were combined.

I've searched quite a bit with no luck to find a unit that can take both AC120v and solar inputs and has a charge table/profile for 12v AGM. It's always one or the other. Any leads?

Thanks,
Justin

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Redarc Manager 30 has solar, shore power and dc-dc from the alt.....
I have been looking for the same concept, it isn't cheap to find an all in 1 setup.
My only other consideration is if I want an inverter then a Renogy setup that has solar & dc-dc in 1 unit and inverter/shore power in another would work and be cheaper.

The toughest consideration is if you want it all mounted in the engine bay, not many things rated for that abuse :)

dreadlocks

I really, really ,really don't like the idea of packaging two control units, one for solar and another for AC in. It just seems messy to me.

hrmm, I'm of the opposite perspective.. I really, really, really don't like AIO units that are a single point of failure.. so if it gives you trouble or goes into fault, you loose all methods of charging at your disposal, for what? a few less wires and a lot more money? mebe the unix philosophy is engrained too much into me, but I believe a tool should do one thing, and do it well.. far better than a monolithic design that does a bunch of stuff terribly..

if you find the unicorn your looking for, that'll be the only option at your disposal.. vs a modular system you can build to your needs out of a wide array of components on the market.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There are some devices where it makes sense to combine functions. Inverter chargers for example, some 80% of the components are shared between charging and supply functions. A solar controller doesn't make much sense to combine. Your just increasing the cost of a single failure. Plus you are likely limiting your option/choices.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles