solar cabling question - AWG options

Have installed a Renogy 100w on roofrack, Charge controller is Renogy Voyager 20 amp, feeding the house battery.
went with 10AWG wire from panels to controller and controller to battery.
I am re-looking at options where I drilled though roof (panel to controller) and am thinking of installing a SAE panel port there, so I can dismount the panel if needed, and to provide better weather seal than I probably did.
Problem, I can not find a 10awg SAE weatherproof panel mount anywhere. Have located plenty of 12awg ones.
So, what is impact of using the 12AWG just at that location, splicing into the 10AWG run?

At present, only running 1 100awg panel.
thanks
Mark

Is there a better option, that is weatherproof and I can use some panel mount to pass thru the roof, other than sae? I can just use the mc4 connections, but hoped to make the roof pass-thru the optional disconnect point.

You are correct, sir
That is far simpler and solves the potential leaky hole issue. I have enough spare mc4 fittings to make a spare dismountable harness.
Sometimes it is good to hear it from someone else.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm planning to use an Anderson Power Pole (APP) bulkhead connector inset in the rear foot of my factory roof rack, unless I can find something prettier.

solarpanelmount26.jpg

It won't be visible where it will be, but I'd like something more deliberately waterproofed. I already have a lot of power and radio gear outfitted with APPs, including my folding panel kit and its charge controller. I want things interchangeable.
My roof rack is pretty robustly mounted and I intend to remove the trailing bolt in that rear foot and pass my roof wiring thru the roof thru that bolt hole.

I wanted to just use a marine-style cig lighter port but balked at doing that much surgery on the inner structure of my roof rack foot. But still might. But really would prefer some form of water resistant coupling as I intend to leave the panel on the roof connected all the time.

I just finished installing my roof panel on Monday and have my long ground lead temporarily connected and routed back and alongside my liftgate and entering at the bottom corner of its gasket to help keep the hatch water-resistent until I get around to doing the permanent wiring setup.

img

solarpanelmount83 installed.jpg

cig lighter ports handle a lot more amps than a single 100w panel produces, electrically it will work. It's just a large form factor to fit in place in something like a roof rack, even the fat monster that is the Z-71 roof rack on a Suburban.

blue-sea-1011-panel-mount-12-volt-cigarette-lighter-dash-socket__6801_580.jpg

or a plain old SAE bulkhead fitting

SAE-Solar-Port.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz