Softopper at high speeds

jagarcia89

I’m on the verge of buying a softopper but I have yet to find a review that addresses it’s stability at speed. I routinely do 100mph plus in my ram on desert highways between destinations.

Anyone have feedback on how softoppers do at higher speeds?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

Ask the RTT manufacturer.... Might even be a disclaimer in the Manual.

You're likely to take a big hit on gas mileage depending on how high you mount it.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Family member has had one for about four years and still looks brand new. He drives a lot between well heads in OK and TX. A lot of highway miles. I doubt he ever hits 100, but 80 regularly.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Just did a search on soft toppers, none of the manufacturers have limits on speeds .
Long as they're installed correctly. Just make sure you get the best and enjoy.

jadmt

ignore button user
I never had mine at 100mph but had it 80-85mph for hours. It looked like a starved horse with the sides sucked in. I imagine it would look worse at 100mph. If driving in the desert at speed the softopper would not be ideal as it sucks dust in like crazy. One trip on the White rim trail was enough to get rid of mine. I never did like the looks of it on my Ram even when new. For me the cons far out weighed the pros. Some people love them tho. If you get one get the solid rear panel vs the vinyl window that scratches if you look at it. pros were cheap and light and easy to take off. cons no security, while water proof was not dust proof. any time you opened the rear hatch in the rain or after a dusty trail you get covered in water or dust. A couple of times I came out to a parking lot to find my sides unsnapped.
026A0E02-1325-41C5-AFC1-52BEBA041578_1_201_a.jpeg

jagarcia89

I never had mine at 100mph but had it 80-85mph for hours. It looked like a starved horse with the sides sucked in. I imagine it would look worse at 100mph. If driving in the desert at speed the softopper would not be ideal as it sucks dust in like crazy. One trip on the White rim trail was enough to get rid of mine. I never did like the looks of it on my Ram even when new. For me the cons far out weighed the pros. Some people love them tho. If you get one get the solid rear panel vs the vinyl window that scratches if you look at it. pros were cheap and light and easy to take off. cons no security, while water proof was not dust proof. any time you opened the rear hatch in the rain or after a dusty trail you get covered in water or dust. A couple of times I came out to a parking lot to find my sides unsnapped.
thanks. Good feedback. For me, this is a temporary solution. I have an Ovrlnd pop top shell being made but won’t be ready until august/September. I currently use a soft tonneau cover to stash my gear but it’s pretty limiting on space. My thought was the soft open would give some more room and even allow sleeping in it. Then when my shell is ready I can easily remove it and toss in the garage until I find a buyer.

Can I ask- did yours have a curved rear bar? looking at a used one and want to be sure it fits

I'd be more concerned with the speed rating on your tires.

My factory installed 35” Goodyear wranglers are rated for 118mph

jadmt

ignore button user
thanks. Good feedback. For me, this is a temporary solution. I have an Ovrlnd pop top shell being made but won’t be ready until august/September. I currently use a soft tonneau cover to stash my gear but it’s pretty limiting on space. My thought was the soft open would give some more room and even allow sleeping in it. Then when my shell is ready I can easily remove it and toss in the garage until I find a buyer.

Can I ask- did yours have a curved rear bar? looking at a used one and want to be sure it fits

My factory installed 35” Goodyear wranglers are rated for 118mph
yes they come with a curved rear bar which on a newer ram you would want.

jagarcia89

What speed is an ovrlnd topper rated for?

No speed rating, but he assured me would do 100+ no problem. And I have no reason to doubt it. My only concern with the softopper is any flapping of fabric or excessive sucking in due to pressures as noted above.

Neither of those are potential issues with a hard side.

Not at all worried about solid stuff at those speeds. I don’t think twice about my bikes in the hitch rack or my tonneau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcaltoy

Mine is still new but had truck at 95 for a few short runs without any noticeable damage. Couldn't see it rippling in the mirror or deflecting too badly. Can't speak for sustained high speed long term though.

Theoretically a steep head wind at high way speed would have the same effect wouldn't it?

Edit for spelling

Klutch7

I had one on a 2020 Super Duty. Loved the functionality for the cost, but agree that they are far from dust-proof. My front panel would come unsnapped at highway speeds on occasion. It would then slap against the back window which was really irritating. Ended up running some foam round stock through the pocket up front and then shoving it back into the space between the cab and bed. seemed to solve the issue.

I camped in mine, including in rain without issue. But driving dusty/wet roads, anything you keep in the back will get dusty/wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior