Soft shackle vs iron shackle

Made this the other day as a nice reminder of ratings for common gear.

=
930607140ced6388d2012bce1e5bd493.jpg

I think you picture is labeled wrong. You labeled them pin size when it should say shackle size.
For general reference, I generally use Crosby shackle but linking to their data is via pdf file.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#shackles/=15lh2ck

I can see where having a few soft shackles might help if you were in the situation like me. I am using 7/8" shackles with a 1" pin while you see most use a 3/4" with a 7/8" pin. My shackles will not fit their shackle mounts. Hopefully if they have shackle mounts then they should have shackles to fit. If they don't have shackles, soft shackle will work in a pinch. Also having the larger shackles keeps them from walking off as they will not fit most mounts.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
The label is correct in the picture and is universal. The shackle has on it the size of the pin and WLL. That's how you understand the size and capability.

The units are the same, just scale. You understand what tons are to pounds. ;)

1 Ton = 2000 lbs

1 kip = 1000 lbs

3/4" pin size shackle is the most common size. The smaller Yota/Subaru pin shackle is because stock mounts/hooks can only take that size. :)

1ef7ef469e792f0794ac39a3c12e1a5e.jpg

If you don't have any kind of shackle to link up straps, then use a dowel. Stick, branch, 2x4, etc. Prevents pinch, which would create a tear failure and allows taking them back apart without damage.

7051d669ae5db0b5b8090faaa42acd6f.jpg

TwinStick

Explorer
TwinStick, that's a great story. Would have loved to see a video of that attempt and later actual recovery.

Yeah, sorry, there were no cell phones then, at least not that I knew of. Around 1985 if memory serves. I ain't joking when i say i think of that EVERY time I reach for a cable. When it broke, I could feel it in my chest @ about 100 yds away. I am not fond of the synthetic ropes. I have seen no less than 4 break, on atv's, on what i considered an easy pull. All 4 that broke, were the first time being used too. Yes, they were soaked & covered in mud, but that is normal for any 4 wheeling around here. That was in the late 90's-early 2000's. Maybe they have gotten better since then, IDK.

I still have metal cable on my Power Wagon.

Big improvement in textiles since the 90s. You can thank the military for that.

The top labels don't match the bottom labels.

5/8" Pin, 1/2" body, 4,000 lb. working load limit
3/4" pin, 5/8" body, 6,500 lb. working load limit
7/8" pin, 3/4" body, 9,500 lb. working load limit
1" pin, 7/8" body, 13,000 lb. working load limit

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
IMG_4684.JPGIMG_4682.JPGIMG_4662.JPGIMG_4686.JPG

This was a fun recovery last winter. Ended up using a huge front end loader with a massive cable. Can't say we didn't try though. (Maybe this goes in another section? Sorry)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Big improvement in textiles since the 90s. You can thank the military for that.

The top labels don't match the bottom labels.

5/8" Pin, 1/2" body, 4,000 lb. working load limit
3/4" pin, 5/8" body, 6,500 lb. working load limit
7/8" pin, 3/4" body, 9,500 lb. working load limit
1" pin, 7/8" body, 13,000 lb. working load limit

Not sure what you are referring to textiles/labels/ then you list some iron shackle information.
I think most shackles are quoted by the bow diameter and the pin is larger see Van Beest: http://www.vanbeest.com/getattachment/aa492c75-5752-4fe6-84fc-b506b6fe93ab/Chapter01-Shackles.aspx I also have an ARB shackle labed with a '1' stamped and it is 1" bow and 1 1/16 pin
From Van Beest Green Pin® Standard Shackle

VanBeest.jpg

mobob

I will throw in my 2 cents here only because I use most of the products mentioned. I use the Flatlink on the end of a 10000lb winch loaded with synthetic. I always use a traditional Shackle on it, typically attached to a strap or two connected to those hard to use factory recovery points with Soft shackles to pull out buddies. I like the Flatlink because it keeps the Synthetic line out of the sun when not being used. I have found it is also easy to mount a front plate to it, for on the road use, and the plate completely hides the fairlead and mount, making the setup very stealth.

I use the soft shackles mostly with a kinetic recovery rope, typically when playing in the snow. They are easy to quickly attach, double up, and don't become projectiles should something fail under load. Soft shackles really help the safety factor compared to traditional shackles that can get twisted/turned before the dynamic load is applied at a less than ideal shackle angle, which results in unpredictable load capabilities at the shackle and the occasional explosive failure.

As stated before, the solution depends on the problem. Think each setup through trying to minimize risk before you start pulling and then go slow if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles