SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

LakewooDad

Hello SoCal owners! We acquired a XS510 when my father stoped using it. Love the trailer, but as a family of four, two of us are still sleeping on the ground. We are thinking of adding a hardshell Rtt and I’m curious how this has worked out for others? Has it changed how it tows/handles? How heavy is too heavy? Mount on the roof basket or is it worth changing to a roof rack?

Thanks!
We’ve never not had our RTT affixed to the rails from day one expect for a pair of special trips. My children typically sleep up there while the wife and I reap the benefits of the solid walls.
Towing without the tent was not noticeable in terms of the mechanics on the road and the ARB Simpson iii is a brick that effects gas more than handling. Going to a hard shell will certainly be more aerodynamic than what we’ve got.
As for the basket versus rails I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that. I will say however that we had to get an extension for the tents ladder due to the height of the trailer and that was with rails.

We’ve never not had our RTT affixed to the rails from day one expect for a pair of special trips. My children typically sleep up there while the wife and I reap the benefits of the solid walls.
Towing without the tent was not noticeable in terms of the mechanics on the road and the ARB Simpson iii is a brick that effects gas more than handling. Going to a hard shell will certainly be more aerodynamic than what we’ve got.
As for the basket versus rails I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that. I will say however that we had to get an extension for the tents ladder due to the height of the trailer and that was with rails.

Thanks for those thoughts! The rtt does seem to be the solution for family camping. These trailers pull so nicely, I’m glad to hear the extra weight up top doesn’t change the handling. We are pulling with a minivan so weight and resistance impacts on mpg and wear and tear on the vehicle are big question marks. Can anyone comment on having a hardshell tents’ nose stick out over the front of the trailer and whether it contributes a lot of resistance? Am I basically adding a wind break?

EPJ

Thanks for those thoughts! The rtt does seem to be the solution for family camping. These trailers pull so nicely, I’m glad to hear the extra weight up top doesn’t change the handling. We are pulling with a minivan so weight and resistance impacts on mpg and wear and tear on the vehicle are big question marks. Can anyone comment on having a hardshell tents’ nose stick out over the front of the trailer and whether it contributes a lot of resistance? Am I basically adding a wind break?
Good questions. I have a Darche Panorama 1400 and we love it. It's a "soft" rtt and is a lot like the ARB that is offered from Socal. We just put 4000+ miles in a month of camping and did so with two adults and my two high school daughters. The set up with the tent and teardrop was epic and absolutely the way to go. Hardshell would be more aero, but I used to own a 28' travel trailer. Gas mileage is SO improved with these things. I think the tent might have added a minimal amount to my trip and I would bet the hard tent would be even better. I agree too that the handling is not changed with the tent. These teardrops handle so well with the suspension. Again, my 28' had only springs and was a mess.

EPJ

Trailer is new and we don't have power to the water pump. Checked fuses and they seem good. Any other suggestions? Can't find any information that could help. Thanks!

dave84060

I have the ARB awning off the side of my BuzzOff, and bought the '6-sided' tent attachment for that. It is a great lightweight large tent option for sure.

Adam_Cole

Trailer is new and we don't have power to the water pump. Checked fuses and they seem good. Any other suggestions? Can't find any information that could help. Thanks!

Is there no power actually going to the pump or is the pump not operating? My trailer has a switch to turn on power for the pump, located by the hot water housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamonsote

Amateur Adventurist
I want to emphasize what @Gtboosted said about SoCal Teardrops and the new ownership. My fraud case against them just closed, so now I can speak about my experience. Here is the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHI

SoCal_80

Explorer
Sorry to hear. SCT used to be a good company.

SCT was the best. Gabe was the best and i still own the original/prototype 459 Krawler and it still looks and performs like new! That said i posted in the trailer thread that my leaf spring bushings have finally died and need to be replaced. Was hoping a fellow owner could help and get me the model/part # painted on top of the Old Man Emu leafspring pack on the Krawler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SoCal_80

Explorer
1d6a10fc942aa072e73bdfdc4e9c4fa2.jpg

74aa7ddfdf7454514e0b267112d4e037.jpg

b14e6626a32e121a2db0e52d90e7cfa3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94