SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

Adventure1

I've have a SCT Krawler with a fat mattress topper snug against the doors and have had ZERO issues with warping. Gabe's custom reinforced door handles that are attached to the inside of the doors solves any warping issues.

Adventure1

I just bought a used trailer and dropped it off at the shop for a few upgrades. The side walls also had some lacquer checking that I am getting fixed. I think it's very important to have ventilation to prolong the lacquers life. If you get condensation I would get a microfiber towel and dry it as soon as you wake up instead of letting it naturally dry.

As for cleaning...if I understood correctly, Gabe at SoCal told me to use pledge. I wonder if theres a cleaner and sealer for lacquered table tops that can clean and protect at the same time.

Even though I bought mine used I want to extend its life as long as possible. Cant afford a new one.

Gabe is the Yoda of his creations - I use Pledge on mine as well and works perfectly.

Adventure1

Tons of really great info in this thread.

Wiredinoc,

Very Cool! We had a JK identical to yours!

Thank you for the post and interesting about the battery. It seems everyone is moving to a Li battery.

Hopefully, I can pull the trigger in a few weeks.

I use Battle Born and they work flawlessly - excellent support if you need it as well.

EPJ

All,

I have a SoCal XS ordered and it's not yet started. Ordered the water heater/shower option, but looking for input on the side of the unit. Seems that having it on the passenger side (standard) doesn't make sense if one might shower on the side most campsites sites would figure is the living/usable side. The driver's side seems to make sense so as to be out of the way and divert water away from where folks might be, but that tweak in the build costs another 400$.

For those who use their unit as a shower, is it worth moving it at a cost?

Thanks!

Adam_Cole

All,

I have a SoCal XS ordered and it's not yet started. Ordered the water heater/shower option, but looking for input on the side of the unit. Seems that having it on the passenger side (standard) doesn't make sense if one might shower on the side most campsites sites would figure is the living/usable side. The driver's side seems to make sense so as to be out of the way and divert water away from where folks might be, but that tweak in the build costs another 400$.

Thanks!

Water fill, water pump, and all the plumbing is on the passenger side…at least on mine. Seems like a huge hassle to switch it drivers side.
In my experience with the limited time I’ve spent in designated campsites, there’s really no specific way you have to park your trailer. I’ve also never parked in a site and not been able to use the hot water heater in any capacity.
Personally I’m not sure it would be worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Ma

Wonderer
All,

Thanks!
Water fill, water pump, and all the plumbing is on the passenger side…at least on mine.
The water fill, pump and other plumbing on our XS is also on the passenger side. We also have the on demand hot water, propane heater, sink and the side mounted 10lb propane tank. Water heater and sink are passenger side, heater and propane tank are driver side.

This has worked well with the propane on the same side as the heater and the stove. Water heater and sink work well together being next to each other. The only potential drawback with our setup is propane for the water heater since they are on opposite sides. Hasn't been an issue for us though as we carry a 20lb propane bottle in the front storage cage for a propane fire ring.

If you are fairly certain that putting the water heater on the driver side will be more useful most of the time and doesn't interfere with anything else, then I would pay the money and make the change. When we ordered ours, we made a few changes that weren't standard and we've been very happy with every one of them. It's a small platform, so anything that optimizes your usage pays off.

Adam_Cole

The water fill, pump and other plumbing on our XS is also on the passenger side. We also have the on demand hot water, propane heater, sink and the side mounted 10lb propane tank. Water heater and sink are passenger side, heater and propane tank are driver side.

This has worked well with the propane on the same side as the heater and the stove. Water heater and sink work well together being next to each other. The only potential drawback with our setup is propane for the water heater since they are on opposite sides. Hasn't been an issue for us though as we carry a 20lb propane bottle in the front storage cage for a propane fire ring.

I’ve got propane on both sides, one bottle for the stove and one bottle for the hot water heater.
Ended up installing a diesel heater so I don’t have to worry about propane for that.

No Ma

Wonderer
I’ve got propane on both sides, one bottle for the stove and one bottle for the hot water heater.
Ended up installing a diesel heater so I don’t have to worry about propane for that.
I'm curious. Is the diesel heater built in or a free standing unit? If built in, where did you end up mounting it?

Adam_Cole

I'm curious. Is the diesel heater built in or a free standing unit? If built in, where did you end up mounting it?

I built it into the trailer. Mounted underneath the stove slide out.

3b9dfa81b9d9d5d83d2a7618ad0106f2.jpg

No Ma

Wonderer
I built it into the trailer. Mounted underneath the stove slide out.

3b9dfa81b9d9d5d83d2a7618ad0106f2.jpg

Ah... nice. Much like the Propex propane heater in ours. Much easier to work on yours though if you ever need to. Ours has the max amount of drawer space built around the Propex, so the heater is mounted flush against the back wall.

EPJ

Picking up our trailer next month and we have a long road trop through various western states planned. How have you all managed camping with food in these in bear country? Any issues in the teardrops? In our last RV bears didn't mess with the rig at all. Just wondering about these due to their smaller size.

jim65wagon

We've lived in our home built all across the country, in black bear territory and grizzly territory. We've seen bears but they've never once bothered the camper.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: EPJ
Hello SoCal owners! We acquired a XS510 when my father stoped using it. Love the trailer, but as a family of four, two of us are still sleeping on the ground. We are thinking of adding a hardshell Rtt and I’m curious how this has worked out for others? Has it changed how it tows/handles? How heavy is too heavy? Mount on the roof basket or is it worth changing to a roof rack?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier