SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Why are you forgoing the tire carrier? Are you not carrying a spare, seems like no better place to mount it. Congrats on getting it added to your build!

I have matching wheels. If you think of it this way, I have one spare under my 4runner. If I get a puncture, I have a spare, if I get two, I would use one of my trailer wheels and go get my tire fixed. I do travel a lot in the Southwest and I do keep track where I can get my tires fixed if need be.

As an aside, I did drive Hole in the rock road to Lake Powell and passed a lot of people with punctures but they mostly had highway passenger tires. I have the light truck "d" rated tread and sidewall.

Last edited:

coastsider

Adventurer
New Extreme Trailer Jockey WheelIMG_1896.JPG
I've just replaced my feeble jockey wheel with this monster, can't wait to try it out in the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Nice, I've been considering one of those. Post a pic of it on the trailer if ya could. I didn't see a place it would fit on mine. The tongue box, cage, and jack receivers are all in the way.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Is the pneumatic one they supply that bad? I think the pictured jockey wheel is an XO by ark. There is a thread about them on here.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
I love my pneumatic one, especially off pavement, I've winched my trailer over rough terrain with it. I've always been curious if the XO provides any advantages. I also didn't see a place on the So-Cal frame where it would fit.

coastsider

Adventurer
I love my pneumatic one, especially off pavement, I've winched my trailer over rough terrain with it. I've always been curious if the XO provides any advantages. I also didn't see a place on the So-Cal frame where it would fit.

This is the Ark XO model, it's a double wheel that allows the unit to twist on itself. It's not pneumatic and they claim it works great in sand and mud, we will see when I get to field test it. It is extremely well made and feature rich. I will post pics of it mounted (I'll do that this weekend), there actually is plenty of room on the front frame.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
This is the Ark XO model, it's a double wheel that allows the unit to twist on itself. It's not pneumatic and they claim it works great in sand and mud, we will see when I get to field test it. It is extremely well made and feature rich. I will post pics of it mounted (I'll do that this weekend), there actually is plenty of room on the front frame.

Yup, I've researched the Ark XO in the past, had my eye on it for a while. I love that it's non-pneumatic and basically bulletproof. Just waiting to see one mounted on a So-Cal and get some user feedback before I pull the trigger. The pneumatic wheel is a fairly large diameter which is great for rolling over things but not so great when swiveled up during transit, the wheel still hangs down a fair amount below the frame. Looks like that wouldn't be as much of a concern with the XO. Anyway, thanks in advance for the pics and review. :ylsmoke:

coastsider

Adventurer
Yup, I've researched the Ark XO in the past, had my eye on it for a while. I love that it's non-pneumatic and basically bulletproof. Just waiting to see one mounted on a So-Cal and get some user feedback before I pull the trigger. The pneumatic wheel is a fairly large diameter which is great for rolling over things but not so great when swiveled up during transit, the wheel still hangs down a fair amount below the frame. Looks like that wouldn't be as much of a concern with the XO. Anyway, thanks in advance for the pics and review. :ylsmoke:

Here are the pics of the wheel mounted, it's basically a bolt on affair no drilling (notice I've used a cable and padlock to secure). The beauty of this jockey wheel is the ability to swivel and lock it in multiple angles along with the wheels themselves. Just pull the blue handle, rotate in 90° sections and the lock up the twin wheels out of the way. The crank is detachable and magnetic. I've also posted some pics of my new LED floodlights (yet to be mounted) and some sweet fold up stainless foot plates to help me get to the roof rack.

2110ef1780f2f0e07281a7681e3e38c7.jpg
7f12a6eb6d4e8d5b512a7c96694f4e6c.jpg
3d5e2ffd8f26b0d660cc011f8b1f9cd3.jpg
be31baba24bc8cc5d35b917d73d8e317.jpg
5fc24e34a35449226c0178fcf77657c4.jpg
4aa21488e30c884b92a981a465e64855.jpg
3b7ad4e4626bf69242da9f7807ebff7a.jpg
98979871ae77f15b93f85cc9fcbab082.jpg

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Very nice. I didn't realize you could lock the wheel position independantly of the jack when traveling, for example up and out of harms way. Brilliant. Can't wait to see how it performs off-road!

JCDriller

Adventurer
I'm not getting it until May but I have two foldable kayaks and I wanted them to fit along with some other speciality gear so I asked if they could and they can. I will be fording small rivers (like the Fremont) and be in very rocky areas (like Mojave) and I thought the solid bottom would be best for my applications. My tongue box will be shorter and not line up and most of my tongue box will be used for solar electric and tools. Standard height is 18" and I will have 26". I'm getting two 10 lb. propane tanks but I'm not getting a hot water heater as I have a solar unit that works very well.

You will find that they are very willing to do modification to most of the things. I have some very special duty add ons and the only thing they balked at was the ceiling window and the back bumper swing out. Heck, I even upgraded all of the lights.

Semi, did you get your trailer yet? We are a few months out from making the call and I'd love to see your set up.

Also, has anyone asked to see if they could do an interior mounted window style AC, similar to the way MOBY does it? I really like this as it's 1. affordable, 2. easily replaceable, 3 permanently mounted and less likely to get stollen.

Interior-01-640x426.jpg

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I've been moved back twice, both for very good reasons. One I can tell you, I've added the swing out bumper and it will take Michael an extra week to build which messed up his work schedule. I have two other custom things being done which takes time. I only want to do this once and want to get it right.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've been moved back twice, both for very good reasons. One I can tell you, I've added the swing out bumper and it will take Michael an extra week to build which messed up his work schedule. I have two other custom things being done which takes time. I only want to do this once and want to get it right.

For those of us who are making plans, what custom things did you have added? I'm like you and only want to do this once, my trailer will be LOADED... but I certainly haven't thought of everything.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Got home with mine yesterday. 509 Kascade from Great Lakes Teardrops. Way far more than exceeded our expectations. Andy was super and such an appreciated attention to detail and quality. Only took 3 months from deposit to pick up. It was a 600 mile drive to pick up, but was very well worth it. We absolutely love it. Cant wait to use it next weekend. If anyone wants on, I highly recommend http://www.greatlakesteardrops.com/page.php?p=39&t=Crossover Trailers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne