SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

frq flyr

Observer
Hi No Ma,
Looks great!
Do you have more experience with this setup? How is it working out for you? How well does it handle wind/rain?

Thanks,
Joe

We're trying this: https://www.amazon.com/Hasika-Trailer-Camping-Hatchback-Anti-uv/dp/B00ZKYSCOM

Had it out a couple of times so far, and so far so good. It did blow down during a high wind when we were out one day, but no damage. We have a roof rack, so securing the front edge isn't hard.

It's big enough and tall enough that the hatch can be fully open on our 510xs (on 37" tires), so it should work with most of the So-Cal Teardrops. It did barely touch the sides of the hatch the first time we used it because the ground sloped down and away from the trailer on the galley end. Construction is decent, but I had low expectations so it's a bit better than I expected, and it's the only thing I've found that's fairly specific for a use like this. There are bigger and better ones out there like the Foxwing but they are much more involved and more than I wanted. Not sure any of those will fit over the hatch when open like this one does. We'll see how it holds up long term.

I like that it gives you a few feet of additional covered ground behind the trailer too.

View attachment 412304

No Ma

Wonderer
Rain has been no problem, does a good job unless the wind is blowing the rain in at a steep angle.

Wind... depends on how strong. Light and somewhat stronger winds are not an issue at all. We had problems on top of a hill where the wind came up out of the valley below and came up under the awning in strong gusts (I'll guess around 30-40 mph give or take). The awning was just a big sail then and lifted off the posts and came down. That was a worst case situation. Our ARB awning did fine under the same circumstances, but it's a lot heavier and not as high off the ground. In high, straight-on winds, the fiberglass poles will bend in and push the awning cover down. Both of those situations happened in the same evening at the same site. Every other time we've used it, it has worked well for us. We use different stakes for the guy ropes. The ones that come with it are too small for winds higher than 15-20 mph in soft ground.

A heavy-duty version with heavier awning material, beefier poles, supports, and tie-downs would be ideal. The size and shape is a very good fit for this use.

Overall, it's a light-weight awning. If you use it in the right circumstances, it works well, and packs up in a small (22" long x 7" diameter) stuff sack. It always goes with us.

Last edited:

frq flyr

Observer
Thanks!

Rain has been no problem, does a good job unless the wind is blowing the rain in at a steep angle.

Wind... depends on how strong. Light and somewhat stronger winds are not an issue at all. We had problems on top of a hill where the wind came up out of the valley below and came up under the awning in strong gusts (I'll guess around 30-40 mph give or take). The awning was just a big sail then and lifted off the posts and came down. That was a worst case situation. Our ARB awning did fine under the same circumstances, but it's a lot heavier and not as high off the ground. In high, straight-on winds, the fiberglass poles will bend in and push the awning cover down. Both of those situations happened in the same evening at the same site. Every other time we've used it, it has worked well for us. We use different stakes for the guy ropes. The ones that come with it are too small for winds higher than 15-20 mph in soft ground.

A heavy-duty version with heavier awning material, beefier poles, supports, and tie-downs would be ideal. The size and shape is a very good fit for this use.

Overall, it's a light-weight awning. If you use it in the right circumstances, it works well, and packs up in a small (22" long x 7" diameter) stuff sack. It always goes with us.

No Ma

Wonderer
Anyone have experience setting up a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Specifically, what settings?

For a 510xs behind a Jeep Wrangler 4dr: Standard stuff w/brake type, etc. No boost. On pavement, braking power 14.0. On trails with loose dirt, gravel and steep sections, braking power 6, otherwise the trailer tires lock up and skid. Adjust according to taste and surface conditions when off road :)

Last edited:

No Ma

Wonderer
More Tekonsa P3 notes

We're running 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" rims on the 510xs, so my setting (braking power = 14) is probably higher than what you need due to the wheel/tire weight. I couldn't get the trailer wheels to lock up as described in the P3 adjustment procedures. I did lock them up when adjusting our previous setup, an AT Chaser on 16" rims with small 35" tires (BFG KM2s), but that was a much ligher tire/wheel/trailer than the 510.

With the settings above, braking when towing on pavement feels just right, and I don't have the trailer 'grabbing' at the end of a stop like I did with the Chaser. The Chaser pavement braking power setting was 6. I never did have to turn it down when offroad. Of course once we got the bigger 510xs, we started traveling to more out of the way places over more technical trails than we had with the Chaser, go figure.

No Ma

Wonderer
I have the 4.5X9 Kascade so should be a little lighter.

I think tire size, depending on what is on your Kascade, will have a pretty large effect as well. We added larger diameter brake rotors and different brake pads on our Wrangler when we changed to 37" tires to maintain braking performance.

I'd be curious as to what setting you need once you have things adjusted and what size tires you're running.

Jensini

Last year my wife and I rented a teardrop from Off The Grid Rentals in San Diego. Before putting this much out for a SoCal Teardrop we wanted to try one before spending this much. We thought about a 4 wheel drive van but didn't like breaking down camp everytime we left the camp site. I like the idea of spending as much time outside as possible so a motorhome was out of the question and I want to be able to get to the back country.
So on Sept 16 my wife and I met with Tom at Treeline Teardrops in Petaluma, CA. to place an order for a 459 Krawler. Tom and his wife are good people, made us feel very comfortable, walked us thru the ordering details. He has a few there so we could look at them. He does fantasic work, a true craftsman. We can hardly wait until we can pick up the Krawler sometine in January or February 2018.
It will be on 315/75R16 Goodyear Wranglers to match what we have on our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Options include; The Krawler 459 sticker on the front, Roof basket, front storage box, Under mattress storage, Off-road tube fenders, Off-road tubular swing out w/ sink and water heater Pneumatic front tire, rear stabilizer, group 31 AGM battery, reading lights, ground lights, lower light switch, 12 volt panel meter, 6" round roof vent/fan, USB port, 12 volt plug outside tonage box, cabin drawers, Renogy solar panel 100 watt w/ briefcase 10 a charge controller, kitchen upgrade 1 deep drawer on bottom, pass-through screen, 30 gal. water tank w/ electric pump, ARB frig w/ slide, 2 ARB 2000 awnings, ARB touring room w/ floor, ARB 4414A 3 wall privacy surround, bungee curtain holders. Didn't need a radio because we can use our smart phones.

Jerry

4runnerteq

Explorer
Water entry after 50 miles driving thru rain. Saw some other issues way back in the thread. No leak when stationary. Top of doors maybe? New Kascade purchased in May.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Water entry after 50 miles driving thru rain. Saw some other issues way back in the thread. No leak when stationary. Top of doors maybe? New Kascade purchased in May.

You should contact the main SoCal guys and have them work with the other shop to fix the issue. They've been pretty helpful for any issues you may have and will help make sure the other shop takes care of it for you.

4runnerteq

Explorer
You should contact the main SoCal guys and have them work with the other shop to fix the issue. They've been pretty helpful for any issues you may have and will help make sure the other shop takes care of it for you.

Yeah, Ive already been talking to the builder. Hes been great to work with. I think it may have been my fault. I had the roof vent slightly open. It has a cover, but I think it may have formed a vacuum and actually pulled water in where it normally wouldn't have around the doors. Mainly just checking for similar issue. If there is a real problem I have no doubt that Andy will get it handled. Im not worried about that part at all. Just thought somebody may have had a similar issue and would say, "do this" to fix it.

Lucky j

Explorer
I do not have a socal, but I did drove once with my TD on a very dry gravel rod with clouds of dust. After a while, I relized that I did not completely closed and lock the hood of my fantastic fan. Boy, what a mess with dust inside.

I does ct as a vaccum. It could have been bad on a rainy day do with water. But you could have something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz