SoCal Montero Meet-Up Saturday 3-25-17 @ 10:00-12:00

Offroadmuch

Explorer
We definitely should :)

Most of my driving with my Montero has been all over Lucerne Valley area. I am NOT good source for where to go for a good day trip in SoCal. Anyone who has suggestions can answer up and I will listen to suggestions. Maybe meet early morning for a quick talk and coffee and then hit the trail. I will post up a summer trail trip for Monteros in Southern California in a few months.

Last edited:

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
Barring anything unforeseen [like, having to get it placed in a shipping container], we'll be there... Have almost completed the transformation, from daily Cali. street-driver to an earnest Costa Rican taxi. I am sure some folks will be pleased. Pictures? I'm sure there be plenty of pictures taken at the meet...

> 1999 Montero SR

Nicklovin

Most of my driving with my Montero has been all over Lucerne Valley area. I am NOT good source for where to go for a good day trip in SoCal. Anyone who has suggestions can answer up and I will listen to suggestions. Maybe meet early morning for a quick talk and coffee and then hit the trail. I will post up a summer trail trip for Monteros in Southern California in a few months.

Hi wondered my way into creeping on this thread after reading about Monteros & I'm in the OC so maybe I'll come look at your guys' builds. Anyways there's a lot of day & long term wheeling to do in Socal. Cleghorn, Hungry Valley OHV, Barstow OHV, Wildomar OHV, Main Divide are all examples of good day trips ... Although there's still more

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Hi wondered my way into creeping on this thread after reading about Monteros & I'm in the OC so maybe I'll come look at your guys' builds. Anyways there's a lot of day & long term wheeling to do in Socal. Cleghorn, Hungry Valley OHV, Barstow OHV, Wildomar OHV, Main Divide are all examples of good day trips ... Although there's still more

Definitely come by and see all the trucks.
I have lived here (SoCal, OC) my whole life and done a lot of exploring on some of the places you mentioned but I am definitely not an authority or quite ready to plan a trip in regard to knowing which trails are easy or difficult and I don't want to plan a trip that someone cannot do in their rig. My trips are often solo and therefore I can be flexible on route planning and risk since no one is relying on my information to survive. So for that reason I could use some assistance. If we do a trip later it does not have to be just Montero owners. I think all the Monteros are pretty capable. We can specify if a lift, 33" tires and lockers are needed but I would not plan a trip like that because I want everyone with a stock, unmodified rig to be able to go. We can make arrangements for some simple, practical, cheap, recovery gear accommodations for everyone from Gen 1- Gen 3.5 (stuff anyone can do). I will go into all of that later. No matter what, any vehicle can be included and we will always have a "go around" option if someone is unsure of their ability to get over or through an obstacle. Keep it fun for everyone....

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Barring anything unforeseen [like, having to get it placed in a shipping container], we'll be there... Have almost completed the transformation, from daily Cali. street-driver to an earnest Costa Rican taxi. I am sure some folks will be pleased. Pictures? I'm sure there be plenty of pictures taken at the meet...

> 1999 Montero SR

Hope to see you there!

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
Anyone from L.A. interested in running a convoy down to the O.C.?

Meet somewhere along the 5 or 91 freeways?

I am also thinking about checking out Brea's 'Cars & Coffee' Meet [7 - 9 a.m.], which is only 5 miles away...

Anyone attending looking for something specific for their ride... have a few bits & pieces accumulated, would be glad to bring 'em.

Let me know,

- Wm.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here is a list and photos of Montero stuff I am bring for sale to the Montero Meetup

Seats! I need your old drivers seat, but otherwise I have 6 excellent tan leather seats, and my drivers seat is in fair condition. I have the rear jump seats too (with head rests)
IMG_3136-X2.jpg

IMG_4820-X2.jpg

Rims! I have 5 spare rims, and 4 spare hubcaps. Two the hub cabs have been trimmed to fit external hub locks.
IMG_3135-X3.jpg

IMG_3159-X2.jpg

Stereo and amp. I have a fairly new 1200 watt amp, and JVC head unit with Bluetooth and a remote
IMG_3151-X3.jpg

IMG_3150-X3.jpg

here is a photo of the amp installed for scale:
IMG_7298-X3.jpg

RAM always level cup holder
IMG_4069-X3.jpg

IMG_3144-X3.jpg

IMG_3145-X3.jpg

Montero rear door tool kit: Fully complete except for the screw driver
IMG_3153-X3.jpg

IMG_3152-X3.jpg

Complete Owners Manual
IMG_3148-X3.jpg

Misc gasket kits - all 3.5L SOHC related
IMG_3140-X3.jpg

IMG_3138-X3.jpg

IMG_3139-X3.jpg

Headlamps and interior courtesy light bulbs
IMG_3146-X3.jpg

Compass / Gauge pack - fully functional, even the backlighting
IMG_3141-X3.jpg

Window Regulators (3 of them)
IMG_3155-X3.jpg

Rear locker switch and accessory power port
IMG_3161-X3.jpg

Instrument gauge cowl/cover thing. Doesn't have the little alarm hole
IMG_3142-X3.jpg

Spare passenger side sun visor (doesn't fall down limp)
IMG_3154-X3.jpg

Drivers side door switch unit
Spare lamp for the rear cargo area (needs new lighter socket end piece)
Spare Gen 2 cup holder (fits Gen 2.5's)
IMG_3158-X3.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A few more bits that wouldn't fit in the first post:

Spare transfer case shift knob (yeah, I don't know why either)
IMG_3160-X3.jpg

Spare front turn signal lamp assembly
Spare horns - drivers horn and alarm horn
IMG_3156-X3.jpg

IMG_3159-X3.jpg

Spare rear tailgate hinge silver (just one, which is odd, but includes the limit arm assembly)
IMG_3157-X3.jpg

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Nwoods
Thanks for the heads up on all of the spare parts!

If anyone else is interested in bringing parts I could use a replacement fog light lens for 2003-2006 Gen 3.5, mine is cracked!
Thank you!

Tliska10

Got my girl running again, nasty noise still, flex plate is cracked. But runs good still. I'll see you guys on the 25th

Offroadmuch

Explorer
So I pulled up ExPo to write this and the new "mobile" version popped... not sure if I like it but anyway...
Just a reminder if anyone else is interested in our OC meet up 3-25-17. I will have coffee and bagels maybe even some donuts.

If you have anything to trade, sell, give away you may want to bring it along.

If anyone knows if there is a 2003-2006 in a junk yard I could use a couple parts so please let me know.

I will have front strut spacers with me if anyone wants measurements.

Let me know if you have questions. I will be talking to everyone and try to come up with a summer trail run.

Last edited:

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
"... Seats! I need your old drivers seat..."

I have a decent leather [medium tan, in color] seat bottom [for the driver's side], that I can bring... it is just the bottom, and includes the heating element.
5 - factory - Chrome Alloy Wheels [each wheel has a diff. tire/ hold air], that need a good scrubbing, as well as a set of factory lug nuts and two sets of wheel caps/ retainers.
Horns... running boards... front mud flaps... fog light housings... all kinds of bits & pieces removed from my '99...

We've been busy... trying to get this done...

Trivia; at last count, we have replaced/ upgraded 3 lights and added at least 23 lights to the rig... yes, we like to see and be seen.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
cr4x4cruiser, what I meant by "I need your old seat" is that I am turning in my car via the Cash for Clunkers program, and I need one drivers seat in the car. That's all. So I can sell all the seats I have, which are in good to great condition, but if you want all my seats, I will need a replacement drivers seat (in any condition) to drive to the scrapyard.

DSouth

Observer
Check out LKQ Pick-your-part in Monrovia. They have a 2003 that I was going to grab the airbox from(assuming it isn't already gone). If you happen to head up there, let me know, perhaps we can go together. I'm in North OC.

So I pulled up ExPo to write this and the new "mobile" version popped... not sure if I like it but anyway...
Just a reminder if anyone else is interested in our OC meet up 3-25-17. I will have coffee and bagels maybe even some donuts.

If you have anything to trade, sell, give away you may want to bring it along.

If anyone knows if there is a 2003-2006 in a junk yard I could use a couple parts so please let me know.

I will have front strut spacers with me if anyone wants measurements.

Let me know if you have questions. I will be talking to everyone and try to come up with a summer trail run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles