soaking in Saline Valley

suntinez

Explorer
After re-connecting at the Pasadena M&G the previous weekend, a few of us decided to head to Saline Valley for some serious soaking.

On the way in, we ran into some guys who were on their second flat. Since cowboy roscoe and his eagle-eye had spotted their sunglasses laying at the site of their first flat, we stopped and wound up helping them. Their jack couldn’t get them out of this position, but they used our X-jack and voila – back in business. Well sorta … we hauled them, their dog, their flats and all their stuff with us, they got fixed up the next day and got back somehow. South pass had some dicey washouts and pretty new rock slides, but we got in OK and setup camp, albeit a little late.

goodjackbadjack.jpg

Breakfast at café ganesha is luxurious and filling - to say the least. We did learn that cooking bacon on an infrared grill is NOT advised. We opted for post-feast bloating in the upper springs.

breakfastcomin.jpg

Pictures really don’t capture the beauty of this place, the variety and changing of colors as the sun and the clouds progress over this oasis.

paintedhills.jpg

paintedsky.jpg

ourspot2.jpg

There was quite a bit of expo eye-candy – 2 MANs, a Mog, several different varieties of pop-up truck campers, and some really cool trailers. And a private chopper that flew over every single campsite, then split … huh.

MAN.jpg

Mog.jpg

huh.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
After munchies and dinner, some soaking buddies stopped by for margaritas.

munchietime.jpg

yummycolor.jpg

margaritacompany.jpg

Then more soaking and campfire/music at the lower springs. (Pics from the next day, sans people!)

grotto.jpg

crystalpool.jpg

Anyplace with a free library is ok by me:
library.jpg

That night a storm blew in, lightning/thunder and some rain but mostly WIND. We all got up to batten things down, then back to sleep. The flippac did great, loud but stable – a little nerve wracking flipping closed in 40+ mph gusts come morning, but we all gathered around and … no problem. The storm left snow on the mountains, so even more colors to gawk at.

flappinflipper.jpg

morningsnow.jpg

snowandsalt.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
We went out thru north pass, stopped a few times, raced a bicycle (who almost beat us, ahem), and came out via Owens Valley. Seems quite a bit of snow came down in the Sierras.

littlestop.jpg

oldstuff.jpg

owensvlley.jpg

sierras.jpg

Battery operated sawzall? Check ….

wheretofindaportablesawzall.jpg

Seems like there were quite a few expo trips/events last weekend – hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Been 20 years or so since I’ve been to Saline Valley, what a great group to go with. Evidently not having to negotiate a tow constitutes a successful trip!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
suntinez said:
That night a storm blew in, lightning/thunder and some rain but mostly WIND.

Ah yes.... "Mr. W". I don't think I have ever been on a trip to Death Valley where he didn't show up....

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Oh no.........

I think I just got something in my little eye.............

1381.gif

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Awesome report with beautiful pics. Still haven't been there yet and its on my list... thanks for sharing Linda!!!!!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I had the chance to meet the couple with the Unimog last night at Kramer Junction (Four Corners) while fueling up (I'm dropping my fathers FJ Cruiser off to him after doing some work on it).

Very very nice people. I felt bad for them, they couldn't even back out of the station without people talking to them about the mog.

Looks like a great trip.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
You guys are killing me:) Looks like a great trip.

I'm hurtin in a big way to get back out there. I'm thinking January for a quick get away and a little exploring.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great trip report.

Do you have any photos of the inside of your flippac?

The guys who had the two flats, were they both bad enough that they could not be repaired with a puncture repair kit? Or were they both on the side walls? Thanks.

suntinez

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Do you have any photos of the inside of your flippac?

The guys who had the two flats, were they both bad enough that they could not be repaired with a puncture repair kit? Or were they both on the side walls? Thanks.

There are some pics of my interior here. Earlier in that thread is a pic of a temporary setup by BellaPSD and in VikingVince's sig line is a link to BajaTaco's website with some great ideas for a flippac interior build. Let me know if there's something in particular you want to see.

The first flat was on the sidewall, never actually saw the second one's problem - and they didn't seem interested in tackling a repair. Those guys should have never even started the trip on those tires.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, first one of these I've done.

Saline

Adventurer
Hey there! Saw you guys there the other day. We were the lifted grey Xterra that went by a few times. Looks like you guys fared pretty well during the wind. I swear, we end up with at least one hell bent windy day every trip out there! We ended up with a broken lantern, 3 bent tent poles and a sand covered sleeping bag. Can't wait to get our Sportsmobile!!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Any changes at the springs? Lee doing well? I miss that place. I need to make more of an effort to get out there. From 1986-2000 I went out at least 4 times a year. Since 2000 I have made it out 1 time a year maybe twice. It's a special place, people either get it or they dont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles