SOA fj55

tacollie

Glamper
I have been going back and forth for a long time about what to do with my fj 55. I had kind of decided to stay in the 3in lift range. But recently I decided to keep my Tacoma which will probably be used for longer trips(time wise) therefore longer distances. So my logic is I could go SOA with 35s on the 55. I don't expect it to be the greatest on road but I am hoping it will be good enough to drive to Moab from Colorado Springs and that would be the farest for the most part it would travel. I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this logic. I will have plenty of power and I am going with slightly wider axles so it seems to me I should be all right. This is my 1st cruiser project and would be my 1st vehicle with 35s.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
You might want to read my comments on my SOA 55 which is about the same diesel or not from this thread. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20341

That said I support it, I was also able to go 80mph or faster and I literally had less lean than my stock FJ55 when I first got it. It can be (and absolutely should be) built with decent steering and if you have a strong enough leaf pack it will behave just as it did before if not better. I made many trips to Moab and throughout Utah in mine with no issues at all, and again good speed on the freeway (being fairly crucial). The negative of the larger tires is good gearing though otherwise you will constantly stall out.

I hope it helps! There is a lot of good info on 'Mud and other sites. The 4x4labs steering arms and components are by far the best and strongest on the market. But you can do a budget Marlin highsteer with FZJ80 tie rod ends and it works out just great. I hope it helps...

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i'll second DRE,,,, an SOA pig can be built to do the road pretty well. but beware, you might end up in the same boat as me, i too have a taco for family camping and long trips, but the kids are nearing completion and want to spend more time with friends instead of dear ol'dad.

i have always preferred the pig to all other rigs i've owned for ALL my trips and i am tweaking here and there to get it up to snuff to eventually be my main rig.

tacollie

Glamper
Thanks a lot. I am still torn. 4" SUA with some 255/85r16's is very tempting also, so I might do that 1st. Start small and go bigger in need be.

My other idea has been 4" SUA on the rear and some coils and radius control arms up front.

I have spent a lot of time reading on mud and pirate but wanted opinions from the expo crowd.

What do you guys think about shackle reversals? What about redoing the leafs and making them longer if I go with custom leafs?

tacollie

Glamper
dieselcruiserhead said:
You might want to read my comments on my SOA 55 which is about the same diesel or not from this thread. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20341

That said I support it, I was also able to go 80mph or faster and I literally had less lean than my stock FJ55 when I first got it. It can be (and absolutely should be) built with decent steering and if you have a strong enough leaf pack it will behave just as it did before if not better. I made many trips to Moab and throughout Utah in mine with no issues at all, and again good speed on the freeway (being fairly crucial). The negative of the larger tires is good gearing though otherwise you will constantly stall out.

I hope it helps! There is a lot of good info on 'Mud and other sites. The 4x4labs steering arms and components are by far the best and strongest on the market. But you can do a budget Marlin highsteer with FZJ80 tie rod ends and it works out just great. I hope it helps...

Honestly I had written SOA off until I read this.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy Tacollie,
Would you be doing the SOA yourself or paying someone? I used stock axles w/detroit for mine and did the shackle reversal and crossover power steering. I put a 6.2 diesel with a Banks turbo...700R4...203 gear reduction...toyota t-case. I loved my FJ55. I think they are the perfect size for wheeling.
Chas

the dude

Adventurer
tacollie said:
Thanks a lot. I am still torn. 4" SUA with some 255/85r16's is very tempting also, so I might do that 1st. Start small and go bigger in need be.

My other idea has been 4" SUA on the rear and some coils and radius control arms up front.

I have spent a lot of time reading on mud and pirate but wanted opinions from the expo crowd.

What do you guys think about shackle reversals? What about redoing the leafs and making them longer if I go with custom leafs?

Personally, a well built SOA will out perform a SUA in any situation. I would keep it simple, remember if you do the shackle reversal, it may add height that is not wanted. On a SUA I wouldn't even consider one, on a Expo rig I would think twice about it.

I have thousands of miles on my SOA HJ61. This summer we drove to Alaska and wheeled for a week while there. On the highway we drive at 75mph. It's not for everyone, but neither is a Cruiser. Our truck drives better, handles better, and steers better with a SOA.

I would have done it slightly different for an Expo style truck. I may even downsize our big rig to be a little more friendly on the trail. It's not that the truck can't handle everything, but it has become to big and too capable for what I want to do with it...It's a waste so-to-speak, unless I want to endure a ton of body/glass damage. And at this point, with this truck, I don't.

I am looking at regearing to 4.88, dropping the body lift and running a 37x13.5 tire... (and that's downsizing :eek: ) When the OME springs settle out enough to rub, I will modify the fenders to fit.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
A properly built spring over axle Land Cruiser can drive the road at 100 mph, even with a trailer behind ;)

Seriously though, when done right, with proper technique, parts and assembly, an SOA provides IMO a superior ride, offroad clearance and overall flex. I've done dozens of SOA's and built the axles for over a hundred others. I feel 100% confident in an SOA conversion, again, when done right. I've seen some scary, scary setups, but I've seen scary SUA setups too. Don't let the wrong way scare you from benefiting from the right way.

The question I always as a customer: What tire size do you intend to run? 33's and less, an SUA is a much simpler and more cost effective solution. Anything greater than that, the SOA starts to be the best option. Keep in mind the "domino" effect, gearing, steering, drivelines, etc. All things you don't normally deal with on a SUA lift.

I'd be happy to answer any specific SOA questions, I had a SOA FJ55 for a period of time and have had SOA 60's, 62's and my current SOA FJ40 that I've been traveling in for 7 years now in its current setup.

Additionally, Andre wrote a great SOA overview a few years back, I send customers to it all the time to get familiarized with the merits and process of the SOA:
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/soa/index.html

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the dude said:
I would have done it slightly different for an Expo style truck. I may even downsize our big rig to be a little more friendly on the trail. It's not that the truck can't handle everything, but it has become to big and too capable for what I want to do with it...It's a waste so-to-speak, unless I want to endure a ton of body/glass damage. And at this point, with this truck, I don't.

this is the pickle i am going through, i prefer my FJ55 all the time but since i'm pretty much over rock crawling its over built for much of what i do now,, but on the other side i like knowing that while on an innocent explore trip down a new piece of dirt i have a rig that can get me through almost anything, and occasionally i like to play on the rocks still. so, where do you make the line? i'm getting close, my rig now sits only marginally taller than a 4" SUA, and thats mostly the 37" tires.

when thinking of a SOA think about it like this, toyota trucks and runners were all SOA. if its good enough for the factory it should be good enough right? kinda makes ya wonder why toyota went SOA on trucks when they were doing SUA all those years before with cruisers?

on the shackle reversal, i wouldnt do it with the SUA, it just creates a low hanging rock finder that way. incorporating it with the SOA will let you keep things nice and tight since you have to burn in new spring hangers.

my buddy wheels his 4" lifted SUA rig just fine, hes been down most the same trails as me with no apparent problems that make him want an SOA, in fact he just dropped a bunch of coin buying all new springs and hardware.

many guys dont realize the work and money involved in a REAL SOA, they all seems to think its cheap and easy and end up half doing it and it shows.

i dont know, seems like many guys who start out small end up wanting or doing SOA. but then you wont know if SUA fits you if you dont try it.

just for reference sake here is my pig currently, its about as low an SOA as you can build, with 37" parnelli's.

Attachments

• 000_0002.JPG
    000_0002.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here are pics of Kurt's FJ40 which is (as he mentioned) a super solid SOA basically done they way they should be... Note the speed limit as well :) No limitation at all. But I also generally refrain from recommending a SOA for most, and because the domino effect is expensive and necessary with large tires unfortunately... It ads up :(

Attachments

• SM_Picture 125.jpg
    SM_Picture 125.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 122
  • SM_Picture 131.jpg
    SM_Picture 131.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 156
  • SM_Picture 127.jpg
    SM_Picture 127.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 150

tacollie

Glamper
Thanks a lot you guys have really been helpful.

Seems to me the only reason not to go SOA is not wanting to go bigger than 33s. A 315/75r16 are not much more than a 255/85r16 cost wise. I have new stock springs so it seems SOA is the way to go. I may end up with a rig that is built for more than I do, but I like to explore.

This is all Dre's fault as everytime I see pictures of his rig it makes me want to go SOA, not that it is a bad thing.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Cool :)

A lot of this is repetition but some more elaboration too...

Anyway, correct the drawback is the larger tires. That is the bigger drawback. There were only a couple times when I wished I had lower height but only wanted it slightly lower, within the range of a SOA. But again if you can get the gearing to match and lockers you literally have an unstoppable combo. Again hang with the big boys but still expedition. For this reason I'm going a hair lower with the FZJ80 chassis (I can get lower with the coil springs) but am still going to run 35s. And this time ATs as well. Learning from the Expo guys I suppose. But it won't be too much smaller than your standard SOA, 4" instead of 5" or so I figure... You might also want to check out this thread, this would be my technique for SOA but with less height. There is some skepticism in the thread but I think it should actually work awesome:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/247232-thoughts-inverted-springs-soa.html

Also check out this thread/post which runs over my leaf spring setup. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4725895&postcount=45

You also might dig the whole buildup thread if you haven't seen it... Runs through *all* of the work that I did to that damn pig, and was really my big learning curve on cruisers and fab etc etc...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410514

But keep in mind a lot of those photos are "glamour shots" where the rig looks its best and represents none of its worst. That said here are a couple more good pics, shows the overall stance (photos below). Again it would cruise solid as a rock (and way better than it ever was stock, and in some of the SUA 55's I've ridden in that really lean). But no matter now much I dialed it, partly because of the old rattly 55 body parts, but partly because of the suspension as well, I could never get it dialed for hauling *** on dirt roads. It worked well but was hardly better than any old Land Cruiser in that it was bouncy and sensitive over the small stuff. So this is where the coils (and radius arm suspension in my opinion) come into play. If you get them dialed then you have the best of both worlds, solid axle but great at hauling ***. What I'm learning from my new mini truck project is that it really isn't hard to build a solid coil spring setup. Also the parts I'll be using (Ballistic Fab parts designed for TJ Jeep coils) also work for 80 series springs ;).

I hope it helps. I'm a big proponent of people going bigger because this is the states (and the west), we wheel bigger stuff/rocks with all the terrain we have and we are not exploring like crazy. I see pics of guys in discos with 235/75/R15s and they are pushing their rigs and using sand ladders over tiny little logs that you could walk right over (on feet, or 35's :) ) and it doesn't appeal to me. Reminds me of "scrambling." That said my little DD'er and the the current "expedition vehicle" (the mini truck) is more in this style, the smaller 33's that are narrow and a little more oriented. It was really fun spanking something with a smaller, less capably vehicle than what everyone else had. But that was also what it was like with the 55 handing with the big boys, and yielded the funnest wheeling I've had in my life. And I enjoy wheeling but it has hardly been what I enjoyed the most, I definitely like the exploring more...

In the meantime, here are more of those glamour shots showing the best of both worlds. Also when the paint was fresh and the truck looks low I had thin wallowy springs. If you could get this height but stiffer springs (using the SOA inverted technique I was mentioning) you would be fully styled. The last pic shows 4 people and tons of gear including overnight stuff, coolers etc. The height there was great... I hope it helps... Andre

Attachments

• purple3.jpg
    purple3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 53
  • purple2.jpg
    purple2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 73
  • purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 46
  • purple4.jpg
    purple4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 54
  • purple5.jpg
    purple5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Andre, I have read your post a 5 or 6 times and between them and Cruiser Outfitters SOA page i keep considering SOA. About 6 weeks ago I saw a low 60 SOA with 35 and thought it seemed the perfect balance of height and tire size. I have pretty much ruled out SUA 4" lifts. They don't seem like they would offer the ride I want. I can sell big to the girlfriend but not a harsh ride. This matters because the 55 will not go many places if she doesn't like it and since I want to keep her and the 55 around I am looking for a good solution. I like the idea of a good SOA. I don't need to haul down washboard. There are not a lot of smart places to do that in Colorado and I really need to stop it. My dad thinks I should do coils with some radius arms and a 4 linked rear. I have been consideriung a SOA in the rear and a coil front. I have seen so many bad 4 links. At this point I am leaning to just going SOA axle and seeing what happens. I am at a toss up on axles, I can get a dana 60 in the rear for nothing but really like the idea of some 60 axles. As you know it never stops. I am going to call alcan and see what they have to saw. Thanks again for the info.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Cool. It took me several tries to the SOA leafs dialed but I finally did. Everything but washboard was great. I think I had two add a leafs with the small leafs removed in the front pack. So about $150 and labor into it. The coil spring route up front would be awesome for ride benefits. Again I'm realizing how relatively easy it will be again using the Ballistic Fab stuff, I figure about $500 to run coils over leaves assuming your spring pack was perfect from the beginning but there are some hidden costs.

AndrewP

Explorer
Not a 55 but just out of the garage is my 4 day FJ60 SOA. It's about as low as possible-stock height springs, stock shackles etc.

Attachments

• SOA1.jpg
    SOA1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 73

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier