So you want to put King shocks on a Third Gen Montero...

offthepath

Adventurer
I'm close to pulling the trigger on this but need some qualitative info.

Currently I'm running OEM with medium duty up front and light duty out back with air bags. As it sits, I can push the montero pretty damn fast. Some times I wonder if anything will break, but so far it's held up fine. What did you run before this, can you offer any insight on how much faster you could take a section of road? Ie, 20mph with OME and 40mph with King?

Thanks!!!

ChrisCosta416

I had OME shocks/struts. I could take any road as fast as I want but the ride quality would be jarring. Now I can go as fast as I want its just a matter of stiffening of softening the shocks. I would not pull the trigger on Kings yet! Give them a few weeks to sort out the issues. I will have an update next week.

tj90

Those Kings are nice. The welds done to control arms look great as well. I'm Dis impressed they can run a bad so close to rubber bushings without burning them up. Did they cut the original arm and weld un a new support plate?

ChrisCosta416

So I dropped my truck off at King and just got a call today. King has identified the issues and will be re-designing the whole kit. The new kit will include mounts and other items. I would hold off on buying Kings until the new kit comes out in a few months.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
So I dropped my truck off at King and just got a call today. King has identified the issues and will be re-designing the whole kit. The new kit will include mounts and other items. I would hold off on buying Kings until the new kit comes out in a few months.

Now this is huge news! Well done sir, I hope they'll hook you up with something for your troubles.

ChrisCosta416

Haha we will see soon!

The redesign includes

• new rear shocks
  • shorter hoses
  • taller front shocks
  • redesigned upper eyelet
  • new mounts (no more welding)
  • and another very important piece that will not be from King but will give us all more travel :)

Here’s a quick pic of the prototype mount

Liam5638

You love your job, it's great! I liked your post. I still have a problem with rigidity, I am sure I can solve it thanks to you. I'll do it on the weekend. Thank!

wolfdog

Haha we will see soon!

The redesign includes

• new rear shocks
  • shorter hoses
  • taller front shocks
  • redesigned upper eyelet
  • new mounts (no more welding)
  • and another very important piece that will not be from King but will give us all more travel :)
Here’s a quick pic of the prototype mount
View attachment 519531
Hi mate great info on the kings, any more updates?
What is the other modification that will increase the travel? Very interested in this!

Thanks Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles