So you want to drop the headliner/install a roof rack on a Third Gen Montero...

ChrisCosta416

With my last "So you want to..." thread so popular it is time to make another small one. This time I will do my best to list step by step instructions on how to drop the headliner on a Gen3 Montero (01-06 for US) - I am going to also briefly touch base on some popular foot rail systems that will allow the use of a flush rack...

Why drop the headliner?
I HAD to drop the headliner to install a Front Runner Foot rail system which I will touch on later, but I also wanted to take the time to install/add sound deadning & insulation. (but got lazy and found out their is little room) Dropping the headliner might also be necessary when working on the sunroof, clearing the sunroof drains or installing roof mounted lights (if you want a clean installation).

Roof racks and "foot rails"
Love him or hate him, here is a pretty good video that will talk about roof racks and platforms (see if you can spot the Pajero towards the end of the video)

Great so the video briefly covered roof racks, now lets move on to mounting them, specifically a Front Runner rack...

A Front Runner Slimeline II rack is made of aluminum which keeps it relatively light and has SO many accessories available to it. Of course it comes with a hefty price ranging from 1-1300$.
Front Runner just so happens to have a specific "Foot rail" for the Gen3 Montero. The reason I bring this up is because I believe foot rail style mounting solutions offer benefits over the factory luggage rails such as...

- Lower Profile
- Increased strength and rigidity of rack
- aesthetically pleasing
- coolness "overland" factor (obviously)
- Increased weight rating compared to stock luggage rails

Some kits offered by popular rack companies specifically for a Gen3 Montero

Front Runner Foot Rail Kit - https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-foot-rail-mitsubishi-pajero.html - Product Code - FAMP001
Front Runner Foot Rail Kit AND Roof rack package - https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/mitsubish-ipajero2006-currslimlineii-roof-rack-kit.html - Product Code - KRMP018T
ARB Roof Rack Fitting Kit - https://www.dirtyparts.com/store/detail.cfm/ROOF-RACK-MOUNT-RAILS/pid-203126 - Part Number - ARB-3734010 (Note: currently none are stocked in the US, I am sure part can be ordered from any ARB Distributor)
ARB Roof Racks - https://arbusa.com/products/roof-racks/arb-roof-racks/ (ARB has many options and you can order one to fit your Monty based on the length and width. Use the Front Runner size as comparison)
Rhino Rack platforms and "fit kits" - http://www.rhinorack.com.au/fit-my-...bishi-pajero-4dr-4wd-lwb-nm-np-05-00-to-10-06 - Please see all options listed

I am sure I missed some but these are some of the most popular options used in the US and Australia.

GREAT! YOU FINALLY DECIDED ON WHICH RACK TO BUY! IF YOU PURCHASED A RACK THE REQUIRES YOU TO REPLACE THE FACTORY LUGGAGE RAILS WITH A FEET/TRACK KIT YOU WILL NOW NEED TO REMOVE YOUR HEADLINER. LETS GET STARTED.

Dropping your headliner... DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFOREHAND
Before we begin here are some items I suggest having around

• Philipps head screw driver or drill with a Philipps head
  • 100% Silicone - MAKE SURE IT IS 100% SILICONE that is UV PROOF and of course waterproof/temp resistant - Thanks Leo!
  • Blue masking tape
  • Blue locktite - gluestick type works best
  • 17mm socket with ratchet
  • Extra car interior trim pieces (referring to the clips and tabs)
  • Car trim pry tool kit OR (which I used and works better) a tiny flathead screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit
  • Clean work area
  • Mattress bag - If you remove the headliner you will place it in here for safekeeping while you install the foot rails - THANKS AGAIN LEO!
  • Gloves
  • Alcohol pads
  • Patience
Great! Now you have everything, lettuce (ha) begin with the removal of the headliner. I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures so I will do my best to be descriptive as possible... I will describe the process starting from the front and making my way to the back. To keep all the parts organized I recommend 3 boxes - 1 for the front, 1 for the middle, 1 for the rear...

BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER PLEASE NOTE THAT I DID NOT REMOVE THE FRONT MIDDLE COURTESY LIGHTS AND SUN-VISOR RETAINING CLIPS. I WAS ABLE TO GET ENOUGH ACCESS TO INSTALL THE FOOT RAIL SYSTEM WITHOUT REMOVING THESE TWO ITEMS. YES YOUR HEADLINER WILL BEND AT FIRST BUT THIS IS OK AS IT WILL RETURN BACK TO ITS NORMAL STATE ONCE YOU PUT EVERYTHING BACK ON.

Front

• Start by removing both sun-visors which are held on by 2 silver Phillips screws, be sure to unplug the wire connecting the light for the visor. Store the visors on the dashboard (Be sure to unclip the sun-visor from the retaining clip FIRST)
  • IMG_8526.jpg
  • Pull the trim piece for the sun roof control (use your trim tool to pry around the plastic slowly) - Remember solid arrow faces the front and open arrow faces the back
  • Pull all grab handles for the front driver and front passenger side (use your trim tool to carefully remove the plastic/rubber covers concealing the Philipps head screws) There will be a total of 4 grab handles for the front (2 A-pillar handles, 2 roof handles)
  • Pull apart front passenger and driver a-pillar panel trim using trim tool
  • Remove front passenger and front driver weather stripping (along door gaps)
  • On each front seat belt pry the plastic cover where the top part of the belt comes out of
  • Use a 17mm ratchet to remove the 17mm bolt holding the upper part of the seatbelt in place
  • Once upper portion of seatbelt is removed use trim tool to remove the b-pillar plastic trim pieces on the driver and passenger side
Middle
  • Again pull all grab handles for the 2nd row (use your trim tool to carefully remove the plastic/rubber covers concealing the Philipps head screws) There will be a total of 4 grab handles for the middle (2 roof handles with hanger hooks and 2 handles on the b-pillar
  • To remove the climate vents first pry around the plastic carefully to remove the plastic trim, then unscrew the 2 Philipps head screws holding the metal bracket in place
  • IMG_8532.jpeg
  • Proceed to remove the interior courtesy lights by simply prying around the plastic trim (be careful to not pull out to fast as there is a wire you need to unplug)
  • Remove 2nd row passenger and 2nd row driver side weather stripping (along door gaps)
Back (Third row area)
  • Again pull all grab handles for the third row (use your trim tool to carefully remove the plastic/rubber covers concealing the Philipps head screws) There will be a total of 2 grab handles for the middle (2 roof handles)
  • To remove the climate vents first pry around the plastic carefully to remove the plastic trim, then unscrew the 2 Philipps head screws holding the metal bracket in place
  • Remove the rear hatch weather stripping (along hatch gap)
  • Use your trim tool to pry the courtesy light glass/plastic to reveal 2 Philipps head screws - REMOVE THE RIGHT ONE ONLY
  • IMG_8543.jpeg
  • Pull apart the side upper side panels using your pry tool (I recommend prying just to enough to get leverage then pull straight out)
  • Pull 3 trim tabs in the headliner near the rear hatch
  • Pull a 2 yellow retaining clips revealed after removing the 2 side panels
  • IMG_8542.jpeg

After removing all these items your Monty should now look like this... (with the two yellow clips removed)

IMG_8541.jpg

• Proceed to pull your headliner down, slowly work your way from the rear to the front. The headliner is held on by very strong velcro so it will seem hard at first. (As mentioned before I did not remove the front middle lights so I will not be dropping my headliner completely but just enough to install the foot rails.
  • With the headliner dropped we will now remove the vents for the climate system, the vents are held on by 3-5 brass screws on the driver and passenger side on the vehicle
  • IMG_8548.jpg
  • Once the brass screws are removed pull the plastic venting out (be careful not to talk out the retaining clip for the sun roof drain hose

Please continue to the second part below (ExPo has a character limit... grrr)

Last edited:

ChrisCosta416

And that is how you remove the headliner from the Gen3 Montero. Of course to install the headliner put back everything you have removed in the reverse order. BE SURE TO APPLY LOCKTITE TO THE 17MM BOLTS FOR YOUR SEATBELTS. As you can tell these is not really much space for any insulation. The big open space is clear but you will need to use very thin insulation to not impede the operation of the sunroof. If you wish to wire lights to the roof now is a good time. I recommend using a solar entry box and drilling a hole through the roof and running wires down the a-pillar. Let's move to the foot rails.

Installing foot rails
  • With the headliner off it is now time to remove the bolts for the OEM luggage rails. There will be 5 brass nuts for each luggage rail. Remove those and pull off those rails!
  • With the rails off climb up on your roof and clean the heck out of gaps where the luggage rails used to be. I recommend putting blue masking tape under the holes (by going under the roof) to keep all the dirt and grime out of your interior. Clean it well with alcohol wipes because when you install any foot rails you should apply silicone liberally!
  • Follow the instructions for whichever foot rail kit you ordered and be sure to apply silicone liberally, too much will NOT hurt!

That's it! You are done! I would like to thank the wonderful folks on ExpoPortal who took the time to provide pictures and descriptions on how to remove the Gen3 headliner in the past. Their posts helped me a bunch, I would also like to thank the wonderful folks on the FB Montero groups and of course Leo and Chai for letting me use his shop and brain while I take on this small project.

Here is how my truck looks right now (getting ready to mount the GFC tent)

DSC00061-2.jpgDSC00066-2.jpg

w
And that is how you remove the headliner from the Gen3 Montero. Of course to install the headliner put back everything you have removed in the reverse order. BE SURE TO APPLY LOCKTITE TO THE 17MM BOLTS FOR YOUR SEATBELTS. As you can tell these is not really much space for any insulation. The big open space is clear but you will need to use very thin insulation to not impede the operation of the sunroof. If you wish to wire lights to the roof now is a good time. I recommend using a solar entry box and drilling a hole through the roof and running wires down the a-pillar. Let's move to the foot rails.

Installing foot rails
  • With the headliner off it is now time to remove the bolts for the OEM luggage rails. There will be 5 brass nuts for each luggage rail. Remove those and pull off those rails!
  • With the rails off climb up on your roof and clean the heck out of gaps where the luggage rails used to be. I recommend putting blue masking tape under the holes (by going under the roof) to keep all the dirt and grime out of your interior. Clean it well with alcohol wipes because when you install any foot rails you should apply silicone liberally!
  • Follow the instructions for whichever foot rail kit you ordered and be sure to apply silicone liberally, too much will NOT hurt!

That's it! You are done! I would like to thank the wonderful folks on ExpoPortal who took the time to provide pictures and descriptions on how to remove the Gen3 headliner in the past. Their posts helped me a bunch, I would also like to thank the wonderful folks on the FB Montero groups and of course Leo and Chai for letting me use his shop and brain while I take on this small project.

Here is how my truck looks right now (getting ready to mount the GFC tent)

View attachment 549578View attachment 549579
What rack are you running now?

@radchad074 I sold my Gen3 and have a 200 Series now but I ran a Front Runner first and settled on ARB rails with Front Runner slats as it is the lowest and lightest combo you can have.

i wanted to install track rail but not sure, i wanted to use the existing mounting holes but not sure if there something that fits in the channel or if i will have to mount flush on the roof and drill
new holes

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I installed Rhino "tracks" after removing the factory set-up using a combination of rivets and bolts (I don't recall having to drill additional holes...but it's been a while).

Cheers

I installed Rhino "tracks" after removing the factory set-up using a combination of rivets and bolts (I don't recall having to drill additional holes...but it's been a while).

Cheers
one more question!… did the tracks go in the channel on the roof where the old rack was?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
one more question!… did the tracks go in the channel on the roof where the old rack was?
Yes, the Rhino tracks fit into the channels on the roof.
Remember to use some quality sealant when installing...

Cheers

One thing I learned over the weeks of research on replacing the rails on a GEN3 and doing some sort of rack/track is this:
- best option for a track is the Rhino Rack RTS01, it was made for the Pajero OEM channel in the cool. The downfall is it is discontinued and hard to find, at least in the US. I was able to source one in Canada and have shipped. Maybe there is a spot in US that has them but I did not find it...

- https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/pro...nents/roof-rack-parts/tracks/rts-tracks_rts01

ChrisCosta416

One thing I learned over the weeks of research on replacing the rails on a GEN3 and doing some sort of rack/track is this:
- best option for a track is the Rhino Rack RTS01, it was made for the Pajero OEM channel in the cool. The downfall is it is discontinued and hard to find, at least in the US. I was able to source one in Canada and have shipped. Maybe there is a spot in US that has them but I did not find it...

- https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/pro...nents/roof-rack-parts/tracks/rts-tracks_rts01

Just curious, why are you set on the channels instead of a backbone system?

If you really want you can look into K9 roof rack systems that utilize similar tracks to the Rhino Rack. Also if it involves rivets I would recommend against using rivets if you plan to load that roof down. Some models of Rhino Rack rails and tracks call for rivets and it greatly reduces the load capacity

Just curious, why are you set on the channels instead of a backbone system?

If you really want you can look into K9 roof rack systems that utilize similar tracks to the Rhino Rack. Also if it involves rivets I would recommend against using rivets if you plan to load that roof down. Some models of Rhino Rack rails and tracks call for rivets and it greatly reduces the load capacity
The tracks seemed like the most versatile and open up more creative top rack options. Not sure about the backbone system.

I installed some Rhino Rack tracks and then picked up this roof rack system Sherpa Equipment Co. that was actually made a 4Runner

and the Fairing that was actually made for a Cayenne.

It worked beautifully and the dudes at Sherpa are super stoked, I went by the office and showed them the outcome.

Really nice stuff.

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0657.JPG

ChrisCosta416

The tracks seemed like the most versatile and open up more creative top rack options. Not sure about the backbone system.

I installed some Rhino Rack tracks and then picked up this roof rack system Sherpa Equipment Co. that was actually made a 4Runner

and the Fairing that was actually made for a Cayenne.

It worked beautifully and the dudes at Sherpa are super stoked, I went by the office and showed them the outcome.

Really nice stuff.

View attachment 761720

View attachment 761714
Looks great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior