So, Why did you buy a Land Rover?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I get this question at least once or twice a year and often see it here on ExPo and other forums.

A common answer is the history of the brand and the heritage of the trucks themselves. Although this answere is not necessarily understood by all.

Here, Top Gear has done a great little segment on Land Rover which is a joy to watch and sort of puts the brands history and heritage into perspective.

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI

RETROFIT

Observer
I have seen this one over and over again and it always does the same effect on me. It always reminds me (and some times I need to be reminded) why I spent two years rebuilding mine and why I drive it every single chance I get ! Why in traffic I see people holding up cell phones to take pictures of it. Why I see smiles on peoples face when they look at the truck. And most importantly why I always make it to where I wanted to go !

Pat

RonL

Adventurer
Why did my wife buy one? We had a couple of reasons. We wanted something that could hold 6+ people, and Suburban/Tahoe was too big, we did not want a minivan, and everyone had a Jeep.

After a test drive in the deep snow of IL, we were sold on it.

lake_bueller

Observer
The second question usually asked of me is "why did you buy the second, third and forth". My response is usually...you just answered your own question :smiley_drive: (or I have a secret desire for torture!!)

SCRover

Adventurer
I have seen this one over and over again and it always does the same effect on me. It always reminds me (and some times I need to be reminded) why I spent two years rebuilding mine and why I drive it every single chance I get ! Why in traffic I see people holding up cell phones to take pictures of it. Why I see smiles on peoples face when they look at the truck. And most importantly why I always make it to where I wanted to go !

Pat

great answer, Pat! would be apropos for a sig line...

lwg

I like it! Nice video. Pretty much sums it up.

It's funny to think that many years ago I was torn between the Toyota FJ60 and the Range Rover Classic, both literally classics in their own right. I have never regretted the choice to get the RRC, except maybe financially;)

Yudda

Adventurer
When i was a kid.....i watched Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom.

1170350149.jpg
wild-kingdom-land-rover.jpg

30 years later i bought a Defender.

Rob

jrose609

Explorer
Asking Rover owners why they have Land Rovers is askin why a bird migrates south for winter. The bird doesn't know why, but it migrates just the same. The salmon doesn't know why it heads back up the arduous river to spawn, but it goes that way because it's SUPPOSED to.

The Land Rover owner is no different. When you own a LR, you do not own a car, you make a declaration of a lifestyle. I've never had a vehicle that I thought was truly a member of the family, until my Land Rover found me .

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
We bought a Disco in 1994, while looking for parts to do my own maintenance I discovered LROI Magazine and fell in love with series rovers and defenders. Since 1995 I have had 4 series rovers a RRC and two defenders. I am weening myself off LR's and am down to just one Defender 130 Crew Cab, I hope it's my last rover.

muskyman

Explorer
because they are tough, easy to work on and do what you ask of them and want more.

I have owned alot of 4x4's and driven just about all that are worth having and I just cant think of getting out of a rover.:victory:

NCLR015

Adventurer
My wife didn't like my Tundra and my kids didn't fit in the back seat (they're both over 6'). I had no complaints about the Tundra at all. I test drove a 2001 D2 and bought it. That one got totalled at about 133k. I bought a 96 5-speed because I was tired of all the problems with the D2. It just turned 275k last week (had 119k when I bought it). I've had nary a problem with it. It's my daily driver, I love driving it. I'd have trouble going back to a car.

My wife has a Lexus RX 350, it's a great car, but I prefer the Disco hands down.

justfred

Adventurer
I've owned quite a few Land Rovers.

The first one, a 1970 IIA 88" I bought because it was cheap ($1300). Ended up costing me around $25,000 over its lifetime, for a total restoration. Sold for around $10,000.

The next one, a grey-market 1984 Range Rover, I got to replace my Isuzu Trooper. While driving on a dirt road in Colorado late at night, I came to an unmarked turn and rolled it. Walked away, later cut the roof off, added a roll cage, then had it throw a piston in the middle of Utah.

Started to buy a 109 that a shade-tree mechanic was restoring, ended up walking away from it because the restoration was badly done.

Got a restored 109 with a Chevy 6 because it was in great condition for a great deal. Drove it for 10 years, passed it on.

Found a 109 beater that a military guy had brought up from Costa Rica, another great deal. Beat it up, fixed it up, beat it up - lather, rinse, repeat. Finally ended up trading it to my mechanic for some service on another one.

Got my first Disco because I needed something to haul a trailer and a bunch of gear - traded an Audi and a motorcycle and a load of cash for it at the dealer, "Certified Preowned". Drove it to 180,000 miles.

Signed up to buy a Toyota FJ Cruiser, before they came out. When they arrived, the dealer-dude was a jerk, and I thought the visibility sucked, so I started shopping again, and ended up with the D2 Borrego.

Oh, and somewhere in there I ended up with the Pinzgauer because I couldn't find a legal Land Rover 101 Forward Control - and the Pinz seems to be a lot better vehicle.

The old rovers I like because of the simplicity. The Discos I like because of the size (still fit in a compact parking space), towing ability, visibility/ride position. Still wish they were a little bigger inside so I could sleep in the back. And I like the Pinzgauer because I'm insane.

I was pre-infected with the wacky car gene.

I blame my Dad...love ya' Pop!

At one time we had an F-100, a turbo-Corvair, a 220S Benz, a '64 Lincoln convertible and a basket case 356 in the drive / garage...all at the same time.

I had driven my '80 SD1 / 3500 sedan for ~12 years and decided I needed 4wd.

Everything was too big / too little / too japanese until I crawled under the Disco in early '94.

It's been downhill since :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz