So...why can't I build a GX460?

Littlehouse

Adventurer
So, why dosent anyone build these? I'm pretty sure 10+ 4runner parts would swap over, and aren't bumpers built for these under Prado 150?

I was thinking about a 200, but these can be had for much cheaper. I like the 4 runner, but I love the v8, interior, and awd.

What am I missing? Wait till I can afford a 200?

Sempertoy

Explorer
Build whatever you want, just make sure to take pics along the way. I have seen GX470's built, so a 460 isn't out of the question. I know on the 470, the owner was able to reuse some of his fj cruiser stuff (lift) on it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In the US the 460 is marketed as a luxury car, hence the Lexus marque. Overseas it's called the Prado and it's a workhorse but in the US it would be rare for somebody to buy one new and then build it up for off-roading. Luxury vehicles typically have to move "down market" before people start lifting, cutting fenders, bolting on bumpers, etc.

WhiteH2O

Observer
I have a fairly built GX470. They are harder to find parts for, but you can. They are just a Re-Badged Toyota, so once you find out what Toyota parts fit your Lexus, you have a fair choice in parts for things like drive train/suspension/wheels. Parts like bumpers or roof racks get harder, and you have to be willing to have some custom fab done in some cases (or pay for shipping from another continent). You end up spending more to build a Lexus over something like a Toyota or Jeep, and you certainly have to do more research to find what you want.

In the end it is worth it. You end up with something that really turns heads and is way less common.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I want to do it for my next vehicle. Used prices around me hover around $40k.

I've seen them for less than that, which is why I'm looking.

$40k is 200 territory. Are these things just mall cruisers, or are they capable with a little lift and tires? Any huge differences between them and a lc, besides the size? I'm wondering if the 4wd system is different.

hilux30

Observer
I'm not too keen on the AWD system, that means there is wet clutch pack in the transfer case. Even though full-time AWD is lockable (I'm not too sure if the GX is, we see mostly 4runners and seq.), I don't trust them on the heavy stuff because it's never as strong as part-time 4WD where things are more direct and locked with a massive 'chain' system. Plus if the AWD viscous clutch pack is constantly slipping, locking and unlocking, that fluid will need a cooler of some kind.

Otherwise they're great platforms, like everyone said that's the Prado and I've seen Prado's oversees that just get hammered and they stay solid. But the Prado there has a part-time much like FJ's and 4runners same exact transfer-case actually. Most Prados are 'simpler' than the GX with luxuries.

GXs are heavy beasts, if you ever get one the 1st thing before building is to flush everything with good synthetics and double the size of your trans cooler... cheers

sn_85

Observer
So, why dosent anyone build these? I'm pretty sure 10+ 4runner parts would swap over, and aren't bumpers built for these under Prado 150?

I was thinking about a 200, but these can be had for much cheaper. I like the 4 runner, but I love the v8, interior, and awd.

What am I missing? Wait till I can afford a 200?

I've seen them for less than that, which is why I'm looking.

$40k is 200 territory. Are these things just mall cruisers, or are they capable with a little lift and tires? Any huge differences between them and a lc, besides the size? I'm wondering if the 4wd system is different.

As others have said, they are extremely capable it's just that aftermarket support in the US is poor. You'll be able to easily find suspension parts for it as it shares the same underpinnings as the current 4Runner but as far as bumpers, skids, sliders, and other aftermarket goodies it will be tough to find. As well, these things maintain their value like a mother so getting a used one doesn't give you that "careless" attitude of thrashing it around without worrying how much you spent on it.

Front Runner does have a full rack for the GX460 and Rocky Road outfitters does make sliders for it. I haven't seen any skids or bumpers for them in the US yet though. Still I think if you put on some good all-terrains, sliders, and the roof rack it will probably take you 90% of where you want to go. For overlanding I think it'll do awesome. I'd probably never take it rock crawling though without a significant lift on it and bumpers or skids.

I agree with you, the GX460 is beautiful, the V8 is stout, and the interior is extremely nice. I love my Limited ed 4Runner but if I had the cash I would have gone GX460.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/front-runner-slimline-ii-3-4-rack-lexus-gx460.html#.VEsyek10zuo
http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner-rock-sliders.html

I'm not too keen on the AWD system, that means there is wet clutch pack in the transfer case. Even though full-time AWD is lockable (I'm not too sure if the GX is, we see mostly 4runners and seq.), I don't trust them on the heavy stuff because it's never as strong as part-time 4WD where things are more direct and locked with a massive 'chain' system. Plus if the AWD viscous clutch pack is constantly slipping, locking and unlocking, that fluid will need a cooler of some kind.

Otherwise they're great platforms, like everyone said that's the Prado and I've seen Prado's oversees that just get hammered and they stay solid. But the Prado there has a part-time much like FJ's and 4runners same exact transfer-case actually. Most Prados are 'simpler' than the GX with luxuries.

GXs are heavy beasts, if you ever get one the 1st thing before building is to flush everything with good synthetics and double the size of your trans cooler... cheers

There is a difference between Full-time 4WD and AWD. The GX has FT4WD.
http://gearpatrol.com/2013/03/29/four-wheel-drive-vs-all-wheel-drive-everything-you-need-to-know/

As well, the GX has a lockable center diff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles