So we went to the Overland Expo...

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Were we at the same event at Mormon Lake? I was there from Thursday to Monday and I recall seeing several Nissan's there from Patrols, Frontiers, and X-Terra's daily. Although not the dominate vehicle they were there in quantifiable numbers. Of particular note was the diesel Patrol... [lust]

Described earlier was the fan base for a certain vehicle. Conversely, I've observed the "chips." The folks with chips on their shoulder because they think they are in the minority or discriminated against because they don't have a perceived popular model vehicle. They characteristically feel the desire to justify their vehicle selection by constantly comparing their vehicle attributes to another as if trying to seek some sort of approval or recognition as the smartest guy in the room. Bless their little hearts... When you see this behavior reassure them that it's okay and give them a hug; remind them that its about quality, not quantity.

If the rolling stock is the prevailing reason for what they think they are doing then they've already lost the battle... last year I wheeled an overlanding Camry - did great on the lake bed.

Perhaps you were just dazzled by the brilliant Tacoma's glistening in the sun...

roninjiro

Explorer
Were we at the same event at Mormon Lake? I was there from Thursday to Monday and I recall seeing several Nissan's there from Patrols, Frontiers, and X-Terra's daily. Although not the dominate vehicle they were there in quantifiable numbers. Of particular note was the diesel Patrol... [lust]

Described earlier was the fan base for a certain vehicle. Conversely, I've observed the "chips." The folks with chips on their shoulder because they think they are in the minority or discriminated against because they don't have a perceived popular model vehicle. They characteristically feel the desire to justify their vehicle selection by constantly comparing their vehicle attributes to another as if trying to seek some sort of approval or recognition as the smartest guy in the room. Bless their little hearts... When you see this behavior reassure them that it's okay and give them a hug; remind them that its about quality, not quantity.

If the rolling stock is the prevailing reason for what they think they are doing then they've already lost the battle... last year I wheeled an overlanding Camry - did great on the lake bed.

Perhaps you were just dazzled by the brilliant Tacoma's glistening in the sun...

I would have to admit, that was well put. I will definitely have to come out and see next year, not just for the Nissan crowd, but for the different outlooks on overlanding, design, and execution of the different "go to" vehicles. I bet you the Nissan crowd didn't want to line up side by side.... there is probably a tendency to camouflage into the "crowd" lol.

I will also admit... I have seen zero pictures of any Nissan anything at Mormon lake that weekend. (a plead for pictures... hint hint)

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
One of the most desireable trucks I saw in Iceland was a Diesel Patrol. Actually that was THE most desirable. Just sayin. :)

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

skibum315

Explorer
I think it was the fellow from Sportsmobile (my apologies for forgetting his name, I'm terrible with names) who gave a talk about the perfect 'overlanding' vehicle ... which is (drumroll please): the one you have.

That said, I sure do love my Xterra! Though, lately I've been fantasizing about building up an R51 Pathfinder V8. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll come up with a perfect plan for that '58 Dodge Town Panel I saw on Craigslist a few weeks ago.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Truck comparison......

Have to chime in... owned Toyotas... great trucks, never a Nissan, now have a 09' Ford Ranger, wanted something more American It works for me, and was priced right,mostly stock and it has been around a bit.......... bottom line as said before, buy and drive what you like. I think most trucks are pretty good insofar as reliability. Now if I could get the over sea's version of the 4x4 Ranger with a diesel........ ooooooh...... I can dream...... stay safe mjmcdowell

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Have to chime in... owned Toyotas... great trucks, never a Nissan, now have a 09' Ford Ranger, wanted something more American It works for me, and was priced right,mostly stock and it has been around a bit.......... bottom line as said before, buy and drive what you like. I think most trucks are pretty good insofar as reliability. Now if I could get the over sea's version of the 4x4 Ranger with a diesel........ ooooooh...... I can dream...... stay safe mjmcdowell

Mike?

....It could be worse.......you could be the only H3T in the field.......:Wow1:

Abitibi

Explorer
I had my '93 diesel Patrol at Expo this year, too bad the OP didn't drop by for a test drive. Maybe it was too dirty from the roadtrip to recognize it?

8eny5yba.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles