So I've joined the club, and now need some help!

Spanna 53

I am thinking a light commercial wreaker in Dandenong or western suburbs can,t remember but got cables and selector for a resoable price but being transfer case selector you may find new is your only option having cables made up by a marine supplier is an option but any thing to do with boats is never going to be cheap getaprice from Fuso is a starting place and who knows that strange motor trade bloke Murphy may have some thing up his sleeve won't be the first genuine has been cheaper than aftermarket Ross

Lachstock

Sweet I'll give the repair option a look first!

On another note, has anoyone cut a notch in the cross member (I know I know not a great idea) and bent it down to allow for the cable to run freely?

cable blowout.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
has anoyone cut a notch in the cross member
Not something I would actively consider, unless there were no other viable options.
Assuming that you cannot re-route the cable, one option might be to add some protection to the top of the cable, to stop the same thing happening again.
One way to do that would be to halve a section of stainless tube and Sika that onto the top of the cable, giving you a kind of wear plate. Alternately, some thick rubber could be used.

gait

Explorer
the chafing is apparently a common problem. My used vehicle came with spare cables. I wondered why. Also had some 6mm hard rubber wrapped around the cables where cables meet the sharp edge of the cross member, secured with cable ties. If that rubber ever wears (it has a notch in it after about 9 years and lots of rough roads of my ownership) I have some polyurethane I'll bend to shape with a bit of heat.

PS Owen is quicker to post than I .... seconds after finishing phone call.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I just use Poly pipe (I think 1/2") split and Sika flex, cable tied at the wear point. Been there since I've owned the Canter and not really a mark on it.

Dan.

Lachstock

Ok they're all MUCH better suggestions! I think a bit of wrapping with eiher poly or heavy rubbber will do the trick.

I've decided to get some new ones instead of repairing them, came in at only about 10% cost difference in the end.

Spanna 53

After nearly 50 years in the motor trade I still use genuine price as a starting point and work from there Stika is a god send auto heater hose is a bit thicker in the wall , chamfer the edge of the cross member a couple of cable ties used creatably and the cables may be able be able to slide with in the tube may help .Ross

Lachstock

Was lucky enough to pick up some r16 super singles off gumtree last week with some pretty reasonable condition 9.00r16 XZLs!

Pretty excited to get these mounted up and see the difference. Anyone know who made these or are they trucksupersingles earlier efforts?

MrHorsepower

Maker of STUFF
Glad to see you kept the truck. ( I contacted you about purchase when you had it for sale and since bought an ex rural fire service canter) hows it progressing? Pics...

Lachstock

Yeah was touch and go there for a bit, I picked up an FG434 that I thought might become the project truck.. but decided aircon and other mod cons meant that the newer one was the keeper! Going to hold on to the FG434 as it's got the crane to help with lifting off trays etc and then sell it once I'm done :)

Lachstock

This should be fun!

f35e75744c3595ee4542b9b88e437f8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lachstock

Finally got round to fitting the super singles!

7f5acaad20e9d55166229e037521d4f0.jpg

No trimming needed at all in the end, and no touching anywhere even on lock... not bad!

85825918a34b316cb26a4a6d113175d6.jpg

Also made up a few eye hooks to strap spares to the tray as an interim solution.

63b3cc899800d37d74e009b4768926be.jpg

Cruise rpm is heaps improved compared to the old wheels, and the speedo is now pretty close to accurate weirdly... Now it’s off to see if cylinder two isn’t firing due to a burnt valve. Hoping it’s only a burnt valve from the injector going and not anything more sinister. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles