So in talking to my wife and mother-in-law

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
last night about m-in-l's trip up to vancouver ( they just got back..3 weeks of exploring, paddling and camping- they have old town expo kayaks),

Among other things, my wife made several things very clear:

-She thinks a Westfalia, "like your dad's" or something similar, would be agreat platform for us (a family of 5)

-She likes the idea of getting there, popping the top, having sleeping quarters for 5, and having all the storage inside.

- If its raining, she thought our Camping lab awning, and the open van door would create enough of a living space for us to be happy especially with the swiveling front pass. seat.

- She re-affirmed after hearing about the spots that our inlaws needed to get into with their FJcruiser to camp, as well as our experiences up in montana and canada that she does not want to deal with a trailer

It was great to hear her talk about travel and wanting to get back to our camping/travelling roots (we've been all around the US) now that we have 3 kids, and are pretty well set with our family. (Maybe one more, but I'll have to let you know on that one)

She made it clear that she loves the Cherokee, but was willing to talk about what vehicle we'd need to actually make some trips and be comfortable...

My input was that I really liked my dad's westy, but it just isn't reliable for extended/backcountry travel. Now if that westy were also a Subaru-powered, Syncro VW, then I'd very much consider it.

Suffice it to say, I'll be looking hard at our budget and at all the great camper van options available. I'm happy that there's such a deep knowledge base in the camper/van section already available.

Cool conversation, for sure...

-B:)

Last edited:

redbeard

Adventurer
Good luck, it seems that the subi-syncro-westys are a little expen$ive. gowesty.com has some westys that are rebuilt with warranty.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Good luck, it seems that the subi-syncro-westys are a little expen$ive. gowesty.com has some westys that are rebuilt with warranty.

yeah, not sure on that platform...T.low's astro-van is pretty cool, and they're very common around San diego, so sourcing an AWD one wouldn't be a problem, nor would it stick out at all.

I think I'd be ok paying a premium for a synchro/subi/westy if i could be assured by other owners that it's reliable...AND I know a GREAT subie mechanic very near where I live, for servicing.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Don't think a used Sportsmobile would be out of the price range, also...they're really quite reasonable.

-H-

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh crap!!! :Wow1: I never imagined a Westy Syncro would go for this type of money. I guess I have never really priced one and with these type of prices, will never own one either. http://www.gowesty.com/sale_details.php?id=1198

Very cool rig though! :victory:

yeah, a bit shocking when you can find a nice VW westy for about $7000.00 around here in socal. Really no need to pay those prices. :ylsmoke:

You can actually swap the parts that make a westy a syncro into a non-synchro, spending about $3000-4000 and still be ahead.

Again, not sure its the platform we'll end up with, but certainly a contender...:)

here's a nice westy for example...$6300...thats more like it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1374753169.html

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I love those Westy's and do a double take every time we see one. I don't ever see the Syncro versions around.

The sink/stove unit in those, and other bits, is an inspiration for the interior fitment of my FliPac... :drool:

You might also consider something like the Tiger that Suntinez brought to Fiesta Island.

jammyauto

Adventurer
If your able to do a little work yourself and also shuffel the van around between a couple different shops that have different specialties you could probably build a decent van for 25 to 30K. Lot's of people have converted 2wd vans to Syncro but realistically you should figure at least 10k for the job and that's if you find a donor syncro van for under 5k and get someone to do the work for a good price. If you want different gear ratios, front locker etc. then start adding $$ to that price. I know a couple great VW mechanics down in the San Diego area who you could talk to if your really interested in a project like that.
You should also keep in mind that no mater what you do to a 20yr old VW you will never achieve "new car" reliability. Also it will never be done and it will cost more than you estimate.
As with any car it all comes down to "joy of ownership" vs. "cost of ownership".

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
As much as I like the look of the Westy i think for practicality sake an Astro AWD would be a better platform. Just the fact that it has a normal GM drivetrain for starters. Custom vehicles (engine swap) could be a PITA if anything happens on the road.

Were you planning on a trailer for the Cherokee? Which one? Just curious. We are doing the mental gymnastics on trailers still. My short list is basically the ruggedized North American stuff.

chet

island Explorer
I think your shorting yourself a little thinking 5 people can live and sleep in a westy. I would look for a used fullsize travel van and convert it to 4wd or buy a SMB type van. OR you can get add a rooms for westys that add alot of livable space and are fully enclosed to stop sidways rain (which happens alot up here in the PNW) :D

Happy hunting and its good to see your wife involved in the process.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
You forget it's blue an beige (****** was Ford thinking with that combination?) once you see it on decent wheels/tires. Read the thread, tonnes of win. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
You forget it's blue an beige (****** was Ford thinking with that combination?) once you see it on decent wheels/tires. Read the thread, tonnes of win. :)

read it on my lunch break, very cool. I like the use of treadwright retreads. I've used them before; great value

redbeard

Adventurer
I do know that regular westy's can be had for a reasonable price, and regular (though rare) snycro vanagon can be found for slightly more than a 2wd westy. I have done a little research on them, you're better off getting a syncro and getting all the camping gear out of a westy...

The drive train differences is more than a transaxle, the whole frame system is different (beefed up for the syncro parts).

But if you are just road tripin', a 2wd one works fine.

Here's a nice vanagon.
http://www.joebaker.net/vanagon/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier