So I'm buying a van...

SteveJ

I thought there were head problems with those old 2 liter bus motors. You should have it well checked out if your going for it. I dont know if your headed to mountainous country but its a slow slog over a summit with that rig loaded with all your gear. I put an 1800 cc motor in my old 57 oval window beetle back in the 70's and that made a car out of that one but the bus was always underpowered. Though it is nostalgic and kind of cool.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Just an easy plane ride and fun road trip away:coffeedrink: Already set up to camp in on the way home!

Flew to Chicago for my van and blitzkrieg'd the 1000 miles or so back home. In retrospect, I should have take the time to visit friends and enjoy the surroundings but that is how I had to roll.

I see the CL ad is Pensacola but says the van is in Tampa which is kind of strange as that's a good 450 mile just around the corner drive. You could fly into Orlando just to experience all the sniveling Disney (b)rats on a plane. :D

If you do find yourself on I-10 heading through Pensacola along the redneck riviera :D, stop by End Of The Line Cafe, the food is pretty good, if you dig vegan fare. The coffee is solid at minimum.

Cole

Expedition Leader
here's a question. for the vanagon i was looking at, any idea how much new tires go for? the wheels are bigger than stock... i asked what size they were and he couldn't exactly remember... and i didn't go look at them to see..

Looks like the tires on it are probably these based on his ad. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1150_1404/nokian-tire-2057015c-wrc.html. Prices will vary depending on the tire you choose. But the $164 (each) tire is probably about average for a decent tire in that size. Depending on the shop it may cost $15-30 a tire to mount and balance too, plus disposal fees and/or taxes for your state. So plan on about $700 +\- for tires.

Cole

Expedition Leader
A few things I noticed when looking at the ad:

Brakes are a combination of some sort of Audi stuff on front and a "kit" of who knows exactly what on the rear. This may create huge issues trying to get the brakes worked on. The shop won't have any idea what brake pads, rotors or caliper parts to order unless you have the list of donor cars for this too. I'm not familiar with the rear brake kit. Some use off the shelf parts mixed and matched, some use custom stuff that can only be sourced from the original kit maker. (So now the Bentley manual covers even less of this car)

This van stared out with a "horrible paint job" and has been redone by the current owner with "Home Depot" rattle cans! Who knows what kind of body damage or rust is being hidden under this paint job????? No way I'd pay a premium price for a van painted with rattle cans to cover up an already bad paint job!!!!

"AC has been removed". First off, AC is a big deal if you plan on traveling with a dog in TX and AZ! Even if you don't mind the heat, you need a way of cooling down a hot dog from time to time! For $16k I would expect to get a vehicle with AC! The donor Subaru had AC and a "quality" swap would have retained it!!! Probably a short cut and cost saving measure if this Vanagon didn't have factory AC! ALL OF THE OTHER OPTIONS you have looked at have AC!!

The other pictures of the interior don't show pristine panels, fabrics, etc.

It's also an 85, and not the MUCH more desirable 1986-1991 chassis. Which will have an impact on your ability to resell it.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
ok have to throw this in there... Not much more than the swapped one you were looking it. Probably more for the off road mind set but cool anyway :D 18.5k

viewer.aspx

Cole

Expedition Leader
Must be cached on your device.

I've seen that nothing before and its on BaT this morning. Cool, but worthless at the same time! Only way to go slower and use more fuel at the same time!

HoboJen

Adventurer
A few things I noticed when looking at the ad:

Brakes are a combination of some sort of Audi stuff on front and a "kit" of who knows exactly what on the rear. This may create huge issues trying to get the brakes worked on. The shop won't have any idea what brake pads, rotors or caliper parts to order unless you have the list of donor cars for this too. I'm not familiar with the rear brake kit. Some use off the shelf parts mixed and matched, some use custom stuff that can only be sourced from the original kit maker. (So now the Bentley manual covers even less of this car)

This van stared out with a "horrible paint job" and has been redone by the current owner with "Home Depot" rattle cans! Who knows what kind of body damage or rust is being hidden under this paint job????? No way I'd pay a premium price for a van painted with rattle cans to cover up an already bad paint job!!!!

"AC has been removed". First off, AC is a big deal if you plan on traveling with a dog in TX and AZ! Even if you don't mind the heat, you need a way of cooling down a hot dog from time to time! For $16k I would expect to get a vehicle with AC! The donor Subaru had AC and a "quality" swap would have retained it!!! Probably a short cut and cost saving measure if this Vanagon didn't have factory AC! ALL OF THE OTHER OPTIONS you have looked at have AC!!

The other pictures of the interior don't show pristine panels, fabrics, etc.

It's also an 85, and not the MUCH more desirable 1986-1991 chassis. Which will have an impact on your ability to resell it.

well thanks for this... i would love as many points as possible. original list was 17k without racks. he has 17k in it. we came in around 15.5k with racks pending mechanical inspection. The shop estimated the value at 10-12k and had about 3350 in recommended repairs and also that recommendation for new tires. also said the gearing could be upgraded for 2k but it isn't necessary. well, needless to say he disagrees with everything the shop said, so i'm not sure what to do.

so the transmission is still the original and it has an oil leak at the large oring where the tranny comes loose from the drive gear housing. estimate of $1475 to remove and install and overhaul differential assembly. he says it simply needs fixed and should be a $300 servicing (replace fluid and gasket). i say, it's still the original tranny. thoughts on the tranny?

they say the exhaust needs to be redone for this engine and that it needs a new muffler. on the estimate it says "install the CORRECT exhaust manifolds for this engine and a new muffler. estimate of $1098. he says "Still not sure why they want to replace something with only a few thousand miles on it (headers (manifold)). When I was looking to replace the muffler and cat, I was going to just to get more flow, and because it doesn't look pretty. If you get a new mail order exhaust pre-built for the van it is around $1000, but if you go to a custom exhaust shop they charge around $300." looking at the checklist, it says that the muffler/exhaust is leaking with holes.

and they said the front headlight is cracked and that is $100. he says he'll throw in a new bulb because it's only a few dollars. are these guys on the same page with the problem?

and they say it needs new tires, he says, but they have another summer on them and they would be about $600.

so anyway. help me negotiate, because i clearly suck at this and my lack of knowledge is highly apparent. the shop did say that all the work the guy did was great. no comment on paint job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior