So I'm buying a van...

HoboJen

Adventurer
also, what do you guys think it's worth?

from edmunds.com for a straight 2004 dodge sprinter 3500 high roof, but without the add ons listed in the ad...

Pricing Details for a 2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo
3500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Van

Customized True Market Value® Prices
Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
National Base Price $5,264 $6,502 $8,566
Optional Equipment $35 $43 $63
AM/FM/CD Audio System $35 $43 $63
Color Adjustment - White $-26 $-32 $-42
Regional Adjustment - for Zip Code 98034 $-12 $-15 $-20
Mileage Adjustment - 178,000 miles $-1,074 $-1,074 $-1,074
Condition Adjustment - Clean $0 $0 $0
Total $4,187 $5,424 $7,493

java

Expedition Leader
If its on a lot go dive it. If its a privte party, just show up and ask to drive it. If your serious schedule a time wiht them to have it taken to a mechanic (of your choosing!) and have it looked over. Most will do a "buyers inspection"

Jb1rd

Explorer
pardon my idiocy, but "make sure the mechanics are good"... what does this really mean? take it to a mechanic? how do i put that into a negotiation and what's the timing of that?

i bought my last car new... i still haven't driven a sprinter, should i go to a lot to drive one first or just ask this private party to drive it when i'm looking?

i'm setting up the appointment to look at the sprinter.
Narrow down your search to a few different vans research them thoroughly and then have it inspected by a mechanic. In that research find the price by using at least three sources, I use Edmunds, KBB and eBay. Start low you can only go up from there, use your head not your heart, so only bring what the value is that you have found for any given vehicle, this will help with emotional spending, trust me it happens. Remember this is a business transaction after the paperwork is done and the title is in your hand them you can get attached. The Sprinter forum is an amazing wealth of information, I saved thousands of dollars using the site and asking questions, and don't be afraid to just search the threads, type in common problems look at the FAQ and lastely just go drive some vans any van, most sellers are more than happy to test drive if they are not then walk away. (Actually had this happen this weekend with a little white van I posted on here, the owner demanded I give him money up front if I want edit o drive it, RED FLAG, RUN DONT WALK AWAY)

Cole

Expedition Leader
You really should drive a few of them. Even if the only ones you can find are private owners. Many of them will be happy to talk to you about their van.

I kinda like my Sprinter but my Eurovan is far more enjoyable to drive.

HoboJen

Adventurer
well i did just go look at a eurovan camper. they are smaller than they look in photos - in a good way.

i just don't like the storage set up. i mean, i don't have a lot of stuff, but it kind of felt like it would be a pain in the *** since i wasn't even sure where my guitar would go. i'll have a guitar, uke, kayaking gear, clothes, big thing of dog food, your basic camping gear, and that's about it. oh, and a hula hoop. can't forget that.

HoboJen

Adventurer
i didn't drive it because it was parked in a tiny lot and four other cars would have had to be moved. and i wasn't even close to thinking of buying one (which wouldn't have been that 24K one, it would be the 15K one owned by a private party).

bdog1

Adventurer
Oh! And much as I love a cool V Dub, can't you buy a brand new van off the dealers lot for that kinda crazy money?

It's the trip not the van....

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Cole

Expedition Leader
Oh! And much as I love a cool V Dub, can't you buy a brand new van off the dealers lot for that kinda crazy money?

It's the trip not the van....

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Not a camper!

Sure you can buy an empty cargo van. But it sounds like she was looking at a full motorhome VW Eurovan! The next nearest comparison new is about $80K

HoboJen

Adventurer
if you mean a new ford or chevy that doesn't have all that camper stuff... then i think the answer is yes.

i also just realized that a 158 sprinter is about 5 feet longer (in total body length) than the vw eurovan camper. that's long!

and i know.. i just need to git er done! find something, anything, and go have an adventure. well ok, maybe not anything.

Cole

Expedition Leader
i also just realized that a 158 sprinter is about 5 feet longer (in total body length) than the vw eurovan camper. that's long!

Here are a couple of pictures of my Short Wheel Base Eurovan Weekender (about 18" shorter than the Eurovan full camper) next to my Sprinter 158" wheelbase for comparison.

12125891916_4100af8fed_h.jpg

12125512303_9ee1d8bb7d_b.jpg

12125637134_eb84340c7d_b.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
I took this picture yesterday downtown. Good comparison of the Sprinter to some other vans.

I will say that while the Sprinter is not impossible to drive around. You won't always find a parking spot, You won't clear every drive through, and you don't always blend as well as people think you do just due to the size.

12624386123_167e41efd9_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior