So I'm buying a van...

Goochm

Observer
John and Cole, I'll try to get some pics up soon as I get better internet sig, all I have is a phone to post, and I don't think photos would go thru. After a half-century of knocking about in the woods by foot, bike and truck I've come to some ideas of what works for me, and simple is best. I would pretty much be described as "working poor" at best, but even if I could afford a new SMB the "delete" list would be pretty long! I do wish I had a higher top-my van is standard height-but not a full stand-up. Here in N.Az. the winds can be "close the Interstate" strong; high-tops are no-go for me, but a "penthouse" would be nice. So, I got what I could find and afford and made do with it. I still have a few more things to do...more about that later!

Goochm

Observer
Sure...except the nearest Starbucks is 30 miles from where I am right now...which, considering it's February should have about 18" of snow on the ground! Instead, it was 60° today...that's just wrong!

John W

Observer
Dang phone...after months of searching I came upon a '97 Dodge 2500 conversion with a stripped interior. 800 bucks in wood and miscellany to build an interior I couldn't be happier. It's like a mansion! I kept it simple, seven-gallon jug for water, ice chest, and single-burner stove. I'm happy. Simplest is best! (Tho I'd rather have a Ford).

I just got rid of my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 van 3 speed, short wheelbase. Had it for 10 years paid $4500, sold it for $1400. That thing never let me down or cost me any big repairs.
Only thing was it was a 3 speed, no overdrive, so the engine would be humming along at highway speeds and giving me 14mpg. Supposedly an overdrive gear would have gotten me 17mpg, so not really worth it for the low miles I put on it.

Goochm

Observer
I have the 2500 long wheelbase with O/D and seem to be getting 16-17 mpg. By the way, I just got back from a "how in hell did you get here?" trip, and except for a)I saw my rear wheel in the air (a first I never accomplished with the Rover) [a diff lock would be nice; and b) ripped off my muffler. Sounds real ghetto! it' s all good! Now, if I can figure out how to post pics...

Jb1rd

Explorer
Go put 10k cash in front of the Sprinter and don't look back. Never know until you try, remember its not a negotiation until someone has been offended :Wow1: Put emotions aside and make sure the mechanics are good and realize you are still going to be putting money into it.

HoboJen

Adventurer
pardon my idiocy, but "make sure the mechanics are good"... what does this really mean? take it to a mechanic? how do i put that into a negotiation and what's the timing of that?

i bought my last car new... i still haven't driven a sprinter, should i go to a lot to drive one first or just ask this private party to drive it when i'm looking?

i'm setting up the appointment to look at the sprinter.

spearwarrior

Observer
I'd get the car inspected by mechanic, I paid $500 for inspection prior to purchasing my van in Dallas. I think its money well spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier