So I went to the junkyard, and I found this...

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
A factory hitch for a 2002 Montero, with lots of other "junk" I needed for my Montero.
IMG_2016-06-08_20-00-41 (800x450).jpg

Here's the sticker with the part number, haven't checked it against the GEN 3 hitch posts, yet.
IMG_2016-06-08_20-02-03 (800x450).jpg

It sits much closer to the bumper when installed than what I have seen in the current aftermarket.
IMG_2016-06-08_10-16-23 (800x450).jpg

Sharp eyed members will notice the factory Mitsubishi wiring harness, which is plug and play for a 4-pin.
By the time I was halfway through the removal, I notice the surface rust, and decided that I was committed, so sandblast and re-coat are in the future.

This yard had an '01 silver XLS, complete except passenger front fender, interior rough/gauge panel missing. The '02 Limited white/over beige, hit in the front end (which of course never happens to Monteros when the brake booster motor fails...) and a ~ '95 SR with a fair amount of parts still there, (sorry differential gone a long time ago). I felt pricing and service to be reasonable, Flat Rock Salvage, Murfreesboro, TN. As most already know, it seems Monteros are slim pickings in the yards, so I made the trip.

I can probably answer questions while my memory is still fresh if anyone else needs parts from the above vehicles.

I had hope the hitch information might help other folks.

normal_dave

I only noticed two sports, and don't recall seeing tire carriers, but unfortunately I wasn't looking for them either, trees vs. forest thing.

PM sent.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Can we get a closer look at the side plate?

Looks like an extra plate bolts to it, and then towards the midline of the vehicle, correct?

Aftermarket offerings don't have that.

normal_dave

Here ya go Fergie,

Boy this thing looks terrible close up, should have cleaned it up first, but the specs take priority.
IMG_2016-06-10_20-43-39 (800x546).jpg
Driver side as installed above. The long bolt above top/left goes through the unit frame rail from out/inside, the short one from inside into rail.

Inside view of extra plates below:

IMG_2016-06-10_20-43-58 (369x800).jpg
The passenger side install requires temporary removal of the rear heater box, driver side needs the muffler pulled from the rubber hanger to gain wrench access. This was a challenge to remove, maybe a little better on the install on mine. 20/20 view makes me wonder if I shouldn't have just tried to source a new one, but I guessed they wouldn't be available anymore.

I typed in the hitch part number from the sticker on a couple of Mitsubishi online parts lookups, and it didn't show discontinued, so hopefully they can still be found new. It also was a different number than the post in this forum about the 03+ hitch.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that!

Definitely going to start looking for one of the factory versions as I cannot stand how low the current one it; plus the extra attachment points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles