So, I looked at a 62 for sale today

4runnerteq

Explorer
I’ve wanted a Land Cruiser for a long time. This one came up for sale locally and I went to check it out. Some rust here and there but nothing terrible. The frame is pretty crusty but no perforation. New tires and battery. AC doesn’t work. 195k miles. Runs and drives great. 4wd works. I think it would be a great restore piece or just drive it around as is. No budget to purchase a toy. Would have to pull from IRA, which seems dumb, but, the LC probably hold more value than it has lately Lol. Kind of wish I had never gone to look at it. Dammit man.
973FDCA1-3DCB-442F-9CEA-9266A51D65B4.jpeg122054E9-4953-4BDA-BFFF-9770A01AC050.jpeg

4runnerteq

Explorer
Yeah. People asking big money for these things. But I don’t really see many actually bringing big money. In my eyes in reality this is about $4k to $4.5k truck. Add to that, I absolutely love my 3rd gen 4runner and only get to drive it a few times a month. 75 mile commute to work. 04 Corolla for that.

Arktikos

Explorer
Can't see the rust other than that one wheel well, so unclear how much of an issue it would be. Although I'd say it's probably worth more than 5K in today's LC market, weakened as it is, agree with post above about not wanting to pay more than that. Good luck with that. What's the ask? It's one of the better colors, IMO.

I owned a 62 for a couple decades. They are great trucks, except for the 11 MPG and not so great automatic transmission. Also had a 3rd gen 4runner for one year. On paper they are superior in most categories to the FJ62 but I didn't enjoy it much, nor did my wife. Go figure!

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
The pricing of these things are off the charts! I remember when a really clean 60, 15 years ago, sub 150kish miles, was $4-5k all day. I don't see the value now beyond aesthetics, expensive to maintain, poor mileage, parts are becoming hard to find....they are enthusiast rigs these days that require too much love and care to work hard and put away wet like they were meant to be used.

Collector car status - go buy a 4runner or a even better a used GX and call it a day.

4runnerteq

Explorer
The pricing of these things are off the charts! I remember when a really clean 60, 15 years ago, sub 150kish miles, was $4-5k all day. I don't see the value now beyond aesthetics, expensive to maintain, poor mileage, parts are becoming hard to find....they are enthusiast rigs these days that require too much love and care to work hard and put away wet like they were meant to be used.

Collector car status - go buy a 4runner or a even better a used GX and call it a day.
Yep. And I already got a 3rd and 4th gen 4runner. And love them both for different reasons

sn_85

Observer
Pull from IRA, with penalty? Yeah, seems dumb, sorry :confused:

Not that I recommend it or advising it but it depends on the account. For example if it's a Roth IRA you can take out your contribution amount at any time without penalty or taxation but if you dip into the gains then you will be subject to tax and penalty.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Pass. I have had one for some time. As another guy said, the gas mileage was horrible and it's a bit underpowered.
This one needs suspension work, body work and who knows what else.
Pass.

DCGibbs

Observer
The 62 Series, was a huge improvement over the 60 Series 2F, etc. They only produced it for 3 years. The 62 Series parts, that aren't interchangeable with the 60, are getting harder to find. I'd buy this only as a donor (Spare parts) truck. Mine was purchased brand new in May of 88. 300+K on the OD, original 3FE. If you want a LandCruiser - find a UZJ 4.5 80 serires grocery getter. Split rear windows, some with Factory Lockers, etc. Then there is the 100 Series V8... I am with Christian; I'd Pass, as a builder. DG

4runnerteq

Explorer
Its been a couple weeks...what happened with it?
I passed. Seemed like about $4k to me in true value. I think it’s still sitting in the same place. Got work that needs to be done to both 4Runners anyway. Plus, I‘d rather be out mountain biking or camping than working on some rusty project car to maybe drive once or so a month. The right cruiser, at the right time, for the right money will come along someday. Til then I’ll enjoy my relatively maintenance free 3rd gen 4runner and Specialized Stumpjumper. And make an upgrade here and there on the wife’s 4th gen 4runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz