So I bought a trailer now what should I do?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I'd start by stripping offall the things you won't need to reduce the weight. I looks like it has a dump mechanism which you'll never need. Surge brakes are not great off road. Maybe convert to electric.

Dump mechanism?? Not sure what you're looking at but the M101 does not dump. It is designed for the tongue to "teepee" for transportation but it is not designed as a dump bed and will screw up the frame from trying to do so.

old_CWO

That's a pretty beefy trailer with a lot of wind resistance for you not to feel it behind a 4 runner, that's surprising!

Yeah I am thinking it wouldn't be too fun dragging that across the windy old deserts and steep grades out west with a truck that light. Everyone has their own comfort levels towing so if he's okay with it then rock on.

Firewalker

yeah i really thought i would feel it more as well...Im looking at a Titan solar generator for onboard power. to power a couple of lights and a fridge, barebones electrical trying to escape from all that lol. I do want water not sure if i should go under the trailer bed or on the tongue with that. Propane for heater and stove, looking at wool insulatation...

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

2242e912cddf5d83b35ccdccd1defa33.jpg

I’m pulling mine with a 4Runner as well. I’m hauling a comfy camp instead of using the trailer more like a camper. I can still sleep in it if I want but I carry a 20x10 tent, cots, heater, shower, etc etc. so the family and I have a really comfortable camp.
I had a guy in Denver make a custom canvas which is lower profile than the military canvas, which helps some with MPGs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firewalker

shoot yeah that looks good behind the 4runner, do you have much play in your hitch? I have the trailer ball/pintle and it slaps every time I take off and stop, thinking of going more with a setup like yours Titan_Bow

zgfiredude

Do your research on the wool insulation....I have no personal experience with it but have heard/read about "wet sheep" odors, LOL.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Running gear first (brakes, tongue etc.) then a couple of rough it trips will help you develop a must have and have not list?

Titan_Bow

shoot yeah that looks good behind the 4runner, do you have much play in your hitch? I have the trailer ball/pintle and it slaps every time I take off and stop, thinking of going more with a setup like yours Titan_Bow

It's got a little slop to it, but honestly, it doesn't bother me, I know to expect it, and be gentle on take offs and stops. I believe in keeping things as simple as possible, and not having to hack off the pintle and replace everything, was my simple solution hahah. I think if I was going to replace the pintle, I would just go all out and remove the whole surge brake and axle, but again, for simplicity sake, I don't feel that's necessary at this time. To be honest, my hobby is hunting, fishing, and camping with the trailer, not working on or building out the trailer :)

jays0n

Adventurer
My $0.02 worth: That is a big and relatively heavy trailer and between the possible paint issues, 24 volt electrics and all the structural mods you want to do as well as the overall "beef" of it I'd think you'd have much better luck building from scratch or modifying a "Little Guy" tear drop for off road use or even converting an older tent trailer.

As for the solar generation, this is something I have experience with. I have solar in my trailer, on my tow rig, on our boat and we have an entire solar powered cabin. Putting together a system to suit your needs from parts is sooooooo much cheaper and flexible than buying it all together. I just priced out a simple Titan system and the cost came up to more than we spent to equip our off grid cabin to run all the normal appliances like washer/dryer/dishwasher/gas furnace/etc. We have lead-acid batteries but the last set lasted 12 years before needing to be replaced, Titan rates the lithium pack in their unit as a 10 year life span. There are tons of online resources for building solar now, that makes it pretty easy. Good luck with your build!

quickfarms

Adventurer

Your slapping could be the shock inside the surge brake actuator is bad.

I have been towing trailers off road for over 35 years and I prefer surge brakes. I hate electric brakes. Full air brakes are the best but that’s not an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles