So i bought a jeep

Stoney126

Adventurer
I was looking at picking up a wrangler sport but somebody traded this in with 17k miles. I work at the dealer as a chrysler mechanic and did the inspection on this 2014 rubicon. Customer wanted a car and had been serviced with us for its young life. Out of curiosity I asked the owner what they would sell it to me for. Well i got for less then what a new sport would have cost me. Seems like busting your tail day in and day out will get you a break every now and then. Super excited and very thankful for such a outstanding deal. Wasnt going to get black but im not complaining . Now to take this thing out and learn some 4x4 skills

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
congrats...keep it stock since it is very capable just the way it is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Very nice! Congrats and welcome to the club. If you haven't already, check out the Wrangler Forum, there are state specific forums and I'm sure you'll find a local club to join. They'll help you learn how to safely use your rig off road. Enjoy!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Congrats on the new ride, welcome to the club!.....Don't listen to the above person who said keep it stock. Mod it to they way you want! ha ha. That's the point of a Jeep.....Its a starting point to make it your own!. Remember, if it's stock, someone else has one JUST LIKE IT! ha ha

screwball48

Explorer
Step one: buy jeep-check
Step two: drive jeep-check
Step three: get jeep dirty- no check
Step four: repeat steps two and three repeatedly- In progress
Step five: break jeep on purpose so you have excuse to upgrade said jeep- no check

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reskar

Observer
Congrats sweet jeep. I would strongly suggest wheeling it to see what it needs before doing anything. (You might end up with a small lift just to help break over angle but check first)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great buy!

Congrats on the purchase! You'll find it very capable.
Having basically the same Jeep, I would recommend paying close attention to the break-over angle. The fuel tank is very low, and right under the front seats is where the most damage will occur to the skid plates, and transmission cross member. I have some damage further back on the fuel tank skid plate as well, but that was going over stuff I really shouldn't have been doing.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have had it lifted before taking it off the lot. After running with a group of lifted JKs, it's very evident, that while I was able to hang with them, they didn't sustain any damage where I did.
I will end up with a 3.5" lift, 35" tires and some more skid plates.
Since you'll probably be running in rocky areas, look at the rear differential cover. If it sticks down below the center section, carefully grind off the excess, and round the edge. This is a free mod, that will carry you through until you decide to get heavy duty covers, and/or differential skids.
I caught a rock under the center section, which dented the cover, and caused a leak. Had to remove the cover, hammer it straight, and reseal it.
Dropping your tire pressure to about 15-20 psi offroad seems to work very well for this wheel tire combo. The BFGs have great grip, but get slippery if you spin them on rocks too much. Much lower than 15 psi, and ground clearance really suffers.
If it's an automatic, when you are going over obstacles ride your brakes (like doing a brake stand). This will help keep forward momentum, and lift your suspension a bit. Makes things easier while you get used to the rig.
Hope this helps, and hope to see you on the trails. :beer:
(Fuel tank skid plate and cross member damage, following lifted rigs, where they just breezed over the same obstacles)

Attachments

• Fuel-tank-skid-plate.jpg
    Fuel-tank-skid-plate.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Trans-cross-member.jpg
    Trans-cross-member.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 25

Stoney126

Adventurer
Ouch! Thanks for the tips. 3.5 lift and 35s seem to be the standard. im sure in time my jeep will get there. looking to do some day trips and camping soon.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, Once you go 35" tires, theres a whole new can of worms you open up. If you keep the lift 2.5" or lower and run 33's there are less things you need to do to stay happy....

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
If I knew then what I know now, I would have had it lifted before taking it off the lot. After running with a group of lifted JKs, it's very evident, that while I was able to hang with them, they didn't sustain any damage where I did.
I will end up with a 3.5" lift, 35" tires and some more skid plates.

I am going to respectively disagree with this statement. One should get some experience first. If a stock or close to stock vehicle is on the same trail as a Jeep with 3.5" and 35's then either the stock vehicle is on to hard of a trail or the lifted jeep is on to easy of a trail.

I say this because I have been out a few times with people that have done this. They got over 3 inches of lift and 35+ tires. Sure they could drive straight down a trail without a care while I had to pick my line but once they were in an area that got challenging for them they immediately were way over their heads.

da10A

Adventurer
Congrats on the deal. Enjoy your jeep and see what it needs. Jeepers tend to go overboard just for looks when their stock jeeps would have gone just as far and as easily, in more comfort for much less gas. It is questionable exactly who does not understand the Jeep thing :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Ouch! Thanks for the tips. 3.5 lift and 35s seem to be the standard. im sure in time my jeep will get there. looking to do some day trips and camping soon.

You are so close to a lot of awesome places. Just a trip along the coast with the top off would be awesome! But there is a lot of wheeling up north, and also in the Sierras. Great lakes in the upper areas that are 4WD accessible only.
Enjoy! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior