So can you straight axle a 100 or 200 series?

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Slee is the only one that had done it? If you feel the need to say why would you? :rolleyes: don't bother posting...

I'm just wondering why you don't see it more often....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I was going to link Christos build, but it seems you are aware of it. If I had tons of dough, I'd do a locked 80 front axle in my 100 in a heartbeat, but frankly, I don't have the time or spare cash to do something that is basically frivolous. As soon as I win the lotto, I'll start the build thread here!

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Because in Australia and some other markets, we got the 105 series... which came with a solid front axle...

In theory, this should make it easier to do if you can source the parts at a sensible price including freight from one of those markets.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Because in Australia and some other markets, we got the 105 series... which came with a solid front axle...

In theory, this should make it easier to do if you can source the parts at a sensible price including freight from one of those markets.

The biggest issue for North Americans is that the draw of the soccer mom market meant we only got UZJ 100s with the V8, and 105s only came FZJ or HZJ. Not sure if the UZJ engine will allow for a direct bolt in of the 105 (80 series style) front axle using factory 105 parts. How hard is something like that to do in Oz where engineering acceptance is mandatory? Do they allow those sorts of swaps? I'm sure most people down under that want a solid axle will just track down a 105.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Slee is the only one that had done it? If you feel the need to say why would you? :rolleyes: don't bother posting...

if you needed 37's for some reason, or were rock crawling, in which case, you'll end up with one heavy truck for the purpose.

why you would, seems to be the important part of the issue. without that driving motivation, that leaves "just 'cause", i.e. blueberry, so you already have the only answer you need.

NCFJ

Adventurer

You answered your own question with your opening sentence. Very few people wish to do it. The IFS is a big part of the ride quality of the 100 series over the 80 series.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
The biggest issue for North Americans is that the draw of the soccer mom market meant we only got UZJ 100s with the V8, and 105s only came FZJ or HZJ. Not sure if the UZJ engine will allow for a direct bolt in of the 105 (80 series style) front axle using factory 105 parts. How hard is something like that to do in Oz where engineering acceptance is mandatory? Do they allow those sorts of swaps? I'm sure most people down under that want a solid axle will just track down a 105.

I know that a SAS is possible on a 130 series 4Runner/Surf (2nd Gen) as they are frequently done and engineered - with the the SAS on a 100 series, yes, most would track down a 105 especially as the diesel is preferred for touring over the petrol. In that respect, it may be cost effective to source a 105 axle from Australia.

What I don't know though is the compatibility with the V8...

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
105 uses an 80-series frame in front at the least.

Problem with a sas on a 100 is up travel. The frame is not designed for a sfa so does not have hardly any arch to allow for up travel.

Looks great on the internet but hardly worth it in my opinion. Just get a nice 80-series and if you want a v8 swap one in or pay to have it swapped in.

Btw, I am in Panama and saw a 105 recently for sale on 35's, nice truck! Price was $13.5k! :p

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles